Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

22 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Gameplan for the summer has to be getting the entire squad signed up on new contracts and adding to our options with five or six more top-quality ballers.

We’ll need them for Group Stage European football, IMO. 

*shrugs*

If someone had spent all week saying May was shite, then he bagged a hat trick last night, I'd definitely be ribbing them, so only fair it happens to me for my comments on Clark, tbh.

On a lighter note, it's unreal having so many players with deep links to the club the same successful eleven surely?

Looking at the folk who played Clark, Kerr, McCann, May, Kane all come through the youth ranks. Gordon and Wotherspoon both fans of the club. Craig first signed over a decade ago and is likely on route to become our record appearance holder. Add in the manager who came through the youth ranks, ended his career here, and was part of the coaching staff for years. The bond runs deep, and you wonder if that filters into the other players. Last night was a literal "leave everything on the pitch" performance, and I've no idea how they managed to drag themselves back into it after losing the late goal.

Thrilled for Zander Clark, his best performance for a long, long time, maybe ever. He's set a standard now and needs to show he can find that level consistently. He'd be quite entitled to give two fingers to his critics this morning but I'm less willing to take stick from other sources. Those dishing that out should ask themselves if they are entirely innocent of the way they have treated players and managers in the past.

Something brought the best out of him last night and that needs to be harnessed as, in that form, he's a massive asset to the club.

A word on Liam Gordon as well. Not sure anyone has grown in the system as much as him this season. He couldn't keep the ball in the park at the start of the campaign and was guilty at times of coming a bit out of position. Distribution much better now but he also owns that central area of the defence and nothing that comes in there gets past him.

26 minutes ago, Radford said:

Thrilled for Zander Clark, his best performance for a long, long time, maybe ever. He's set a standard now and needs to show he can find that level consistently. He'd be quite entitled to give two fingers to his critics this morning but I'm less willing to take stick from other sources. Those dishing that out should ask themselves if they are entirely innocent of the way they have treated players and managers in the past.

Something brought the best out of him last night and that needs to be harnessed as, in that form, he's a massive asset to the club.

A word on Liam Gordon as well. Not sure anyone has grown in the system as much as him this season. He couldn't keep the ball in the park at the start of the campaign and was guilty at times of coming a bit out of position. Distribution much better now but he also owns that central area of the defence and nothing that comes in there gets past him.

I was listening to The Terrace top 12 centre backs podcast the other day. Quite rightly, McCart and Kerr were listed - Kerr very highly indeed. Gordon wasn’t in the list - but I think he’s possibly one of the most underrated players in the league. He’s the rock in the centre that allows McCart and Kerr to do their thing on the ball. His development this year has been terrific. Really hope we can keep that back three together after the summer.

Just popped in to say congratulations on your top six finish and your cup double what a fantastic season yous have had yous are miles better than any thing left in the cup yous and Killie in the final just a pity Davidson wasn't with yous earlier yous would be top three easily.

Today has been like one of those game shows where they keep people awake for 24 hours and make them do menial tasks...very little sleep and trying to write report card comments (and this one) have been a battle!

Most of this has probably been said but my thoughts:

We are such a well drilled team, every player knows their job, when to press and to drop off and we did it as a team. It must drive forwards/midfielders mental when they press and turn round and they are the only one doing it. Last night it was everybody - Rooney and Tanser pushing right up and Rangers were forced to go long a number of time. I thought the subs were well judged - Melamed had a tough shift and Kane improved the work rate, May ran his race and MOH was a bigger threat when he came on, Spoony had a quieter game but I really like Bryson (would consider another year) - brings a calmness to the team and gets stuck in.

The three centre backs are as good as anybody in the league. At the start of the season I worried that McCart and Gordon's passing would be an issue but they have all stepped up. McCann last night was unbelievable - said it before but I can't comprehend how it is the same guy I saw play at Forfar (I think) in the Betfred.

If Melamed leaves then it will be tough to replace his goals but I wouldn't be too upset, especially if he is looking for silly wages. I have been a big critic of MOH but he looked a threat last night, all dependent on his demands but I wouldn't be against keeping him.

Clark has been (rightly) criticised this season but he had a huge game last night. Hopefully this helps his confidence and he can start owning the penalty area a bit more.

Biggest praise though is for Callum. He was hammered by some on here for his tactics/formation earlier in the season. He was maybe a little conservative in some games but he is growing into the job, is clearly a very intelligent guy and will only improve. I thought Tanser was the right choice last night, a bit more dynamic and better in the air - it's a shame his head seems to have been turned.

Not many upsides to the pandemic, however, being able to watch almost every game has felt like a privilege this season. Genuinely look forward to games now and to see how this young team grows together.

When Tommy left and Davidson took over I was concerned. Now I wonder why I was ever concerned.

If anything we needed the change, we’d became predictable. Would Wright have set us up like that last night? I doubt it.

Clark showed what he can do when he’s on top of his form. Hopefully this is what we see more of.

On another note, the IFA must be delighted at sealing Ali McCann ahead of us. He’s going places, and we better make a fortune from him.

3-4-3/ 3-4-1-2 has been a real joy to watch in almost every game. We’ve hardly ever been outplayed or never been in the game. I’ve enjoyed watching games for the first time in ages, taking teams on, instead of doggedness, which has its place, but give me proactive tactics any day 

I think I could praise Davidson and the team for yesterdays performance, but instead one of the most pleasing things is the fact that at the start of the season Davidson was determined to make his 5-2-3 system work. Yesterday showed that he's actually moved away from needing to use the system and rather will be only using it when he feels it is most appropriate. The fact he's learning from mistakes and is becoming less tactically predictable is great to see and one I think most saints fans can agree is great progress.

He seems like a coach who's always looking to improve as well, so I've no doubts next on his list of coachable issues and tactical issues is getting more chances and goals out of the team.

34 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Around 18 years ago I started showing an interest in going to matches, my Dad gave me two options. We can see St Johnstone who were more local or we can go see Falkirk who were my Papas team.

You boys really make me doubt my decision every single day.

You defo made the wrong decision 😂

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Am I correct in saying you make an absolute cuntload from non-footballing functions at McDiarmid?

They get a good trade from funerals normally as the crematorium is across the road out the back of the away end.  Its the only place really close for post service refreshments. 

Not sure it'll be cuntloads, others will know more but i imagine on average between 7-10 funeral teas a week...

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

They get a good trade from funerals normally as the crematorium is across the road out the back of the away end.  Its the only place really close for post service refreshments. 

Not sure it'll be cuntloads, others will know more but i imagine on average 1 or 2 a day during the week. 

We get 6 figures a year from SSE alone, so whilst shitloads is maybe an overstatement, it's probably not a million miles away!

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Not sure it'll be cuntloads, others will know more but i imagine on average between 7-10 funeral teas a week...

It's just that I know, like The Caley, you suffer from the majority of locals hating their local team, yet you never seem to lose many players, and can tie them up on longer deals.  I know you aren't in a Ross County type scenario where your chairman/owner writes off all club debt.  You appear to be fairly self-sustaining?

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's just that I know, like The Caley, you suffer from the majority of locals hating their local team, yet you never seem to lose many players, and can tie them up on longer deals.  I know you aren't in a Ross County type scenario where your chairman/owner writes off all club debt.  You appear to be fairly self-sustaining?

We are well run and have a couple of million in the bank, that is going to get a severe chunk taken from it due to COVID.