Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Had no idea how fucking abysmal the "attack" was in 2000/01, and 01/02 btw, too young to really notice.
Was Lowndes injured in 00/01? Seems to have barely played yet been dangerous when he did.
The whole team was abysmal, be very unfair to blame the attack. Clarke proved himself to be utterly incapable of bringing in decent replacements for players who had left.
The biggest issue though was undoubtedly other clubs living way beyond their means and paying completely unrealistic and unsustainable wages.
Very hard to criticise anyone at the club really, we were basically cheated.

The whole team was abysmal, be very unfair to blame the attack. Clarke proved himself to be utterly incapable of bringing in decent replacements for players who had left.
The biggest issue though was undoubtedly other clubs living way beyond their means and paying completely unrealistic and unsustainable wages.

I always mind being told about Brown refusing to even entertain contract negotiations with Lowndes when he heard Livingston were offering triple our wage offer.

13 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I was only looking at goals/assists tbh, which is why I criticised the attack. I don't remember nearly enough of those seasons to comment on anything else.

Looks like Gilmour might get an outing v Clyde, at last.

I've been mewling about our ageing midfield for about a year now, complaining there's no "plan".

Absolutely NAP we start next season on fire with Gilmour, Ballantyne, and McCann all strolling it, with the club already in the process of finding replacements for Kerr/McCart, for when they leave the Summer after.

That Sturrock squad from 1996 to 1999 was probably my favourite Saints squad and how quickly was turned into a rabble. 

We can talk about finances but the first three signings that Clark made (IIRC) were John Paul McBride, Kevin Thomas and Graeme Jones. About £500,000 spent on players who contributed the square root of nothing. 

Even the next summer, he still spent six figures on Hartley and Lovenkrands. They were better players but he didn't get much out of them. 

He also did what Tommy Wright didn't and held onto senior players for too long. Dasovic and Kane were shadows of themselves by the end. 

Then his easy way out option of replacing players with guys looking for a final pay day. Stephen Frail was a good player in his day, Michael O'Neill as well but they were well past their best when he brought them in. I know there will be comparisons with Conway and Bryson but a manager is judged on getting those calls (can a player still contribute) right and Clark invariably didn't. Add in Darren Jackson, Willie Falconer, Benito Kemble...

He did a really good job with Sturrock's squad but seeing those graphs that @RandomGuy. posted just confirmed what a mess he made after that.

Thanks for Momo Sylla though. 

And should add that when the senior players in the group proved themselves not to be good enough, he (and Stark) turned to young players thaf were never good enough to play for Saints, as their subsequent careers proved. 

Forsyth, McClune, Fotheringham, Ferry and Panther all had good careers but the fact that only Panther (very briefly with Partick) came close to playing in the SPL again after leaving Saints, tells the story. Not sure Martin Maher even played another game in the top four leagues after leaving Perth? 

And I forgot to include Martin Lauchlan amongst Sandy Clark's first four signings. Another £50,000 wasted.

That Sturrock squad from 1996 to 1999 was probably my favourite Saints squad and how quickly was turned into a rabble. 
We can talk about finances but the first three signings that Clark made (IIRC) were John Paul McBride, Kevin Thomas and Graeme Jones. About £500,000 spent on players who contributed the square root of nothing. 
Even the next summer, he still spent six figures on Hartley and Lovenkrands. They were better players but he didn't get much out of them. 
He also did what Tommy Wright didn't and held onto senior players for too long. Dasovic and Kane were shadows of themselves by the end. 
Then his easy way out option of replacing players with guys looking for a final pay day. Stephen Frail was a good player in his day, Michael O'Neill as well but they were well past their best when he brought them in. I know there will be comparisons with Conway and Bryson but a manager is judged on getting those calls (can a player still contribute) right and Clark invariably didn't. Add in Darren Jackson, Willie Falconer, Benito Kemble...
He did a really good job with Sturrock's squad but seeing those graphs that [mention=45470]RandomGuy.[/mention] posted just confirmed what a mess he made after that.
Thanks for Momo Sylla though. 
As I said, incapable of replacing good players. The financial side was massive at that time though.

16 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

CD was at the Dunfermline v Dundee game last night...who might he have been interested in?

Having a chat with Tommy under the rules face to face?

it was a dire game and there was no stand out player. I guess its that point in the season where nerves kick in. 

Jones wasn't that bad, certainly better value than Craig Russell ever was. Jones also scored goal of the season when he knocked in from 6 yards against Motherwell, finishing a move that had something like 15 or so passes in the build up. 00/01 season I think.

Both players were sound enough to come and present awards and have a bit of a night out with the PSJ supporters team one year as well. The song also ensures Jones his cult status IMO.

10 hours ago, The Saintee said:

CD was at the Dunfermline v Dundee game last night...who might he have been interested in?

Don't know about Dunfermline, but I can't imagine you'd be paying fees for many players and the only players that featured for us that are out of contract in the summer are: Adam Legzdins, Liam Fontaine, Cammy Kerr & Osman Sow.

We are operating on a, you take one, we'll ship the others free basis. 

Don't know about Dunfermline, but I can't imagine you'd be paying fees for many players and the only players that featured for us that are out of contract in the summer are: Adam Legzdins, Liam Fontaine, Cammy Kerr & Osman Sow.
More likely to be scouting Pars players than any of your shite tbh.

12 minutes ago, The Marly said:
9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Although this is true, I think Callum loves a challenge and could probably make Cammy Kerr into a competent bottom half/reserve top half premiership player.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Although this is true, I think Callum loves a challenge and could probably make Cammy Kerr into a competent bottom half/reserve top half premiership player.

He's not a miracle worker FFS.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:
10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Having checked their out of contract players from the game you've got a choice of: Josh Edwards, Euan Murray and Steven Whittaker. I'm sure they'd offer the same policy we are.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Having checked their out of contract players from the game you've got a choice of: Josh Edwards, Euan Murray and Steven Whittaker. I'm sure they'd offer the same policy we are.

He spoke about players aged 18-23 being his "interest".

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's not a miracle worker FFS.

Shaun Rooney was universally mocked by Dundee fans as shite when he signed for Saints. Half a season on the sidelines with Callum working his magic and he's winning trophies, being touted for international caps and ragdolling the premiership.