Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Wait till you hear the potential one about a new sporting director incoming too... They taken in the game at the weekend.

Please be Scot Gardiner...

I think Davidson would use Pawlett in his front three, a totally different role to what he has at United. Not the explosive player he was but the sort of signing where you can't just look at his record at his current club.

FWIW we need someone who can carry the ball in midfield, create/get chances in the final third.

That's not Craig, Davidson, Bryson, or McCann. Pawlett is a good fit, on paper, as a back up to Wotherspoon I think (I'll literally check the paper tonight after work), he also gives you depth on both flanks if we got 5-2-3 at points again.

8 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

He’s always injured but defo has some ability. We need a better calibre of player to push on now though.

I look forward to you replacing him with a 23yo Slovakian who doesn't settle, while Pawlett plays ~20 times for us as we finish above you, yet again.

FWIW we need someone who can carry the ball in midfield, create/get chances in the final third.
That's not Craig, Davidson, Bryson, or McCann. Pawlett is a good fit, on paper, as a back up to Wotherspoon I think (I'll literally check the paper tonight after work), he also gives you depth on both flanks if we got 5-2-3 at points again.
Would be a decent squad player. Depends on his wage really.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW this boy went out on loan to Cheltenham in the Winter window.

Cheltenham play 3-5-2 a lot, with him, and hes shown up as the best option this Summer as a sort of ball winner who can threaten in the final third.

More of a McCann/Davidson replacement than anything. Won't bore anyone with the figure showing it, but looks like he could offer something similar, but also different.

How is he on FM? @Widge 👀

I can safely say he never amounts to anything and ends up cutting about in League 2!

Which is probably still a division higher than Tanser ends up in!

On the Pawlett thing, do I really want us to sign him, I'm not so sure. However, if it's on the right wages, as a backup player then I can see the benefits. He's got the ability to push forward and run with the ball at least, can cover both wings and the middle of the park and is experienced enough to help out. Would I rather sign an unknown, of course I would, but this strikes me as a similar signing to Bryson who's been a bit part player who we know can be trusted to play if that makes sense. 

Pawlett has lost his pace so the wing is not his strong point anymore, injuries are taking their toll too. What he's still good at is getting in front of his man and drawing fouls. He draws the fouls, Spoony puts them in the top corner, job done.

If he's replacing MOH on similar to less wages then I'm all for it.

11 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

"Potential" but no approach made. 

Didn't read much last night but got the impression that was more than "potential" and we'd made an offer. 

Does he have the same agent as Scott Tanser...? 🤣

I like Eric Nicolson and that, but it was Scott Burns with the story last night and he's far more likely to be right IMO.

I genuinely want us to sign a winger to play at wing back, tbh.
It's a bit mad but if you have that, plus if we could somehow get Regan Hendry in Craig's position, suddenly we've got 4 players across the middle (those two plus Wotherspoon/Rooney) who are dangerous 1v1.
Matty Kennedy been playing wing back all season for Aberdeen, and is probably due to return as that's how these things work.
We have been doing that with Durmus at left wing back. He has the energy to get up and down the wing ok, very capable at tracking his man back but I feel it takes away so much of his attacking abilities and the team suffers due to this.