Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

I see the semi-final from 1991 has popped up on YouTube. 

First time I've seen the highlights since presumably seeing them on the night. What a fantastic occasion at a parked East End Park, what a Scottish Cup semi-final should be all about. 

Saints should have won the game. Allan Moore misses an open goal early on and Harry Curran has another two headed chances in addition to his goal, one of which brings a great save from Alan Main. 

Duncan Ferguson looks onside for the winner (which has been debated for years) but Dave Bowman definitely leans into the ball with his arm to block Maskrey's shot in the box. 

Fantastic save by Lindsay Hamilton in stoppage time. Was Rhodes really an upgrade? 

Memories of the day? 

I just remember being so gutted at full time and due to the segregation fence seeing the happy United fans at full time as we moved to the back of the stand to exit the ground.

One of those "Always the next time" days.

23 minutes ago, Radford said:

First time I've seen the highlights since presumably seeing them on the night. What a fantastic occasion at a parked East End Park, what a Scottish Cup semi-final should be all about. 

Saints should have won the game. Allan Moore misses an open goal early on and Harry Curran has another two headed chances in addition to his goal, one of which brings a great save from Alan Main. 

Duncan Ferguson looks onside for the winner (which has been debated for years) but Dave Bowman definitely leans into the ball with his arm to block Maskrey's shot in the box. 

Fantastic save by Lindsay Hamilton in stoppage time. Was Rhodes really an upgrade? 

Memories of the day? 

I was convinced that Ferguson was offside. It was definitely a game we could have won and we took a great support through with us. 

In regards to Rhodes the manager(Totten) actually talked about it in the press. Saying that it was the new pass back rule that encouraged him to get Rhodes in as he was worried that Hamilton would struggle. 

Rhodes was quite the showman and was actually a phenomenal shot stopper. I may have rose tinted specs on because I was young and thought he was awesome! I'm sure that he also had a great record in stopping penalties. 

I'd be happy to keep one of them, and I'm not bothered which one. But I'd love to see us sign a new striker. I think we definitely need to freshen things up in that area.

I think this is pretty much where I am on the strikers. Of the 3 out of contract, I’d like to definitely keep 1 of them and ideally 2 if wage demands reasonable but not all 3. Depending on how the striking market looks (something Cal, the scouts and Random Guy will know better than me) I think if I could pick an ideal situation it would be keeping 2 and binning the other and Hendry. We’d then try to pick up two new strikers or a striker and a forward in the summer.

In terms of the pecking order I think Kane has been great this season, to be honest. His scoring record is fine (he was our fourth choice ST until December and has six goals in a low scoring team) and he offers loads outside of that. If he wants a decent wage rise he probably deserves it for how he’s improved this year, provided it isn’t anything stupid and is within our structure.

After that I think the straight choice is between Melamed and May, and I’d pick the bold Israeli. Get him on a two year deal and he will either score a decent number of goals and then f**k off to Hibs at the end of it or score a barrel load and net us some cash at the end of next year. If that isn’t possible keep May on less than he’s on right now, he offers enough to the team but isn’t and shouldn’t be first choice.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Memories of the day? 

Well done whoever uploaded that, great quality video.

They were sensible in selecting semi final venues back then. East End was one of my favourite away grounds at that time, and made for a cracking atmosphere. Can't imagine the same 17,000 crowd rattling around Hampden having the same feel.

The downside was the pitch, it didn't suit our silky players Moore and Maskrey running with the ball, with the passing of Curran feeding them. We ended up playing it high and long a fair bit.  Was a scrappy tense affair, and remember we all felt robbed by Bowman (?) saving a certain goal with his arm.

Would have played a very beatable Motherwell in the final too; when you think of that and the 2016 league cup semi loss to Hibs where we would have played Ross County in the final, we have let a few opportunities slip by over the years in amongst our trophy deluge.

Memories of the day? 
As a goalkeeper Rhodes probably was an upgrade on Hamilton.
As a human being I'd struggle to find a worse one that's ever been involved with our club in any capacity.

Aye Rhodes was a fanny. Thought he was way too good for Saints and let everyone know that when we got relegated.  Rocked up at Airdrie a few months later.

A great shot stopper but dreadful with the ball at his feet as I remember.  He was typical of our signing policy at the time, splashing relatively big cash on overpriced players.

53 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye Rhodes was a fanny. Thought he was way too good for Saints and let everyone know that when we got relegated.  Rocked up at Airdrie a few months later.

A great shot stopper but dreadful with the ball at his feet as I remember.  He was typical of our signing policy at the time, splashing relatively big cash on overpriced players.

I.never thought that he was all that great as a shot stopper.......A ball would come straight at him and instead of catching it he would theatrically fling himself at it and palm it away then do a couple of dramatic rolls for good effect....Absolute fucking clown and a complete c**t as well 

Was Rhodes just an arrogant c**t aye? My dad and uncle have both said he’s the only saints players they’ve ever celebrated leaving the club.
Aye he was. How he got away from the Dunkeld Road supporters club without requiring an ambulance is a complete mystery.

Touched on it before but amazing how similar our shape was under Totten back then to what Davidson has used for much of this season. 

Obviously role of back three was different with Baltacha the ball player and McGinnis and Inglis the markers but Moore and Maskrey either side of Grant, Treanor and McVicar wing backs and Curran and Turner in the engine room. 

Surprised that Totten felt Rhodes was the answer with ball at feet. The guy couldn't even reach halfway with his kicks. The opposition back line used to be standing on halfway waiting for his goal kicks.

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Touched on it before but amazing how similar our shape was under Totten back then to what Davidson has used for much of this season. 

Obviously role of back three was different with Baltacha the ball player and McGinnis and Inglis the markers but Moore and Maskrey either side of Grant, Treanor and McVicar wing backs and Curran and Turner in the engine room. 

Surprised that Totten felt Rhodes was the answer with ball at feet. The guy couldn't even reach halfway with his kicks. The opposition back line used to be standing on halfway waiting for his goal kicks.

As I remember it was more his perceived mobility and comfort with the ball at his feet rather than distance etc. Perhaps he thought big Lindsay was too thick to adapt!

In all fairness though I don't remember Hamilton embarrassing himself at Dunfermline.

Edited by The Saintee

5 hours ago, The Marly said:
7 hours ago, mizfit said:
Was Rhodes just an arrogant c**t aye? My dad and uncle have both said he’s the only saints players they’ve ever celebrated leaving the club.

Aye he was. How he got away from the Dunkeld Road supporters club without requiring an ambulance is a complete mystery.

Ah!The season we had a huge marquee outside 

Rhodes bragging about his watch

I thought (George McIntyre)I think it was, Thought he was going to hammer him

Details a bit blurry!

Rhodes was an utter welt. Used to love giving him absolute pelters at DA especially, but also at SJ.

I think Simon Stainrod finished (let's all do the) Lindsay (na na na na) Hamilton at St Johnstone after scoring from the half way line, and then the corner flag in consecutive matches v Falkirk.

Maybe someone should look out the highlights of those goals. 😒