Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Another day at the office. Time to look forward to the inevitability of overtaking Livingston and qualifying for Europe. If we can be bothered, we should probably win the Scottish Cup as well.

It would be an incredible effort to overhaul Livi and I can’t really see us gaining 5 points over them post split. I can see them maybe taking points at Aberdeen which would f**k it for us.

In terms of relegation, I’d personally prefer Killie to go down out of the clubs in the mix. Nothing Tommy Wright related, I just never go there and as such wouldn’t really miss them. Ross County is a class away day and Hamilton are a good side to keep around given I’d back us to finish above them every year.

On 18/06/2020 at 21:07, Fifespud said:

All successful managers have at least half a brain. Davidson is as thick as f**k. A disastrous appointment without a shadow of a doubt.

*snigger*

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:
7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
5th gets Europe if one of the top 4 win the Cup?
I genuinely think we could get 9pts from Aberdeen, Hibs and Livi.

We're winning the cup.

Nailed on. 

Only popped in to say that it's been a tremendous afternoon, month, even 2021. 

Bittersweet that St Johnstone have both added to the sadness of not being able to go to games, and at the same time made lockdown more bearable. 

What a team indeed, can't wait to see them in 'real life'. Europe is in sight. 

If you discount games where had a man sent off, Livingston are the only team outside the Old Firm to beat us since our last home game v County on the 19th of September.

Thats insane.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you discount games where had a man sent off, Livingston are the only team outside the Old Firm to beat us since our last home game v County on the 19th of September.

Thats insane.

Is that right? That’s incredible, even more incredible that it took us to the end of March to get ourselves into the top 6 at that rate. 

Just now, Kyle said:

Is that right? That’s incredible, even more incredible that it took us to the end of March to get ourselves into the top 6 at that rate. 

2021-03-20_19-14-33.png.f3f9f8ee6e6b7bcc02bc33509323c7bf.png

County game at the top the 19th September game. Since then its only Livingston and the OF to beat us with 11 men. Aberdeen game the dodgy Cosgrove penalty then Hendry sent off, obviously we were leading St Mirren until Kerr was sent off at half time in that defeat.

Now that we've secured our survival in our favourite manner, we can start to look at sorting out the squad for next season and beyond. A lot of work to do, IMO, but we are starting from a strong position and I trust the manager to replace whoever we lose.

Weirdly, I think our top priority is getting some of the players who are contracted to 2022 sorted out now. Rooney, Kerr, Gordon and McCart should be our top priority IMO, if not to build the team around then to at least get their true market value in the transfer market. All 4 of them should have plenty of suitors given how good they have been this season.

The 2021  first team expirees are; Parish, Tanser, Booth, Bryson, Craig, Davidson, Gilmour, Conway, O'Halloran, Melamed, May, Kane

Loanees - Middleton, Brown (out of contract and Iikely to be released by Millwall)

It seems Tanser is likely to be on his way and I can't see O'Halloran being at the club next season, given he'll be a top earner and he's a squad player at best now. If he's willing to accept reduced terms and a diminished role in the squad then he could be useful. Middleton reminded me of MOH at his very best today, I think I'd rather we extended his loan if that's an option rather than re-signing MOH, certainly as a winger. I think the only other player I'd definitely release is Parish as I still feel we need better to push Clark in goal.

I'm undecided about Bryson, Conway and Gilmour. The former two have been decent squad players for us but you do worry about age catching up with, especially with Bryson who's had a lot of injury problems over the last few years (although not this season in fairness to him). They will both probably feel like they've earned new deals and that's difficult to argue against, a tough call for Davidson potentially. We've not seen anything of Gilmour yet really, hopefully he gets some game time between now and the summer to try and play his way into a deal if his future is in danger with us. Brown is probably on an extended trial now as well, pretty tough for him given Rooney is in the form of his life and MOH has shown he's capable of covering at wing back now too.

I'd give another year to Craig and Davidson, they've both earned that and are leaders in the changing room. 

I think I'd be looking to offer the other out of contract players a couple of years on their deals if they're willing to accept them. May probably shouldn't get the same offer again and convincing Melamed could be difficult given the way the world is right now but I'd hope we could sort something out with the rest.

I'm excited to see what Davidson does in the summer to be honest. This squad has so much potential.

10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'm excited to see what Davidson does in the summer to be honest. This squad has so much potential.

This. First real transfer window for him, and presumably we all now know exactly what money we're playing with in terms of prize money.

Think he'll have to be careful not to sign players solely for 3-5-2/5-2-3 though, but I'm less worried about that after he signed Middleton tbh. Think its important you always have a pacey winger in the squad somewhere, even if they dont necessarily fit anywhere.

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

What are the fixtures looking like? Celtic A, gers H, Livingston H, Aberdeen A and Hibs A?

We’re due a fixture switch I think, we’ll end up with 18 home games. 20 away if the fixtures are just 2 home and 2 aways with everyone. 

Might be of benefit to be honest, we’re obviously a better away team anyway 

After tomorrow, both halves will have three teams with 17 home games played so everyone will get their 19/19 split. 

Whether that's as simple as one change for us (Aberdeen, Hibs or Celtic at home a third time) or more jigging is required, I'm not sure.