Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, Kerr is about 11th/12th choice, yet I'd only have about 3 in our team ahead of him.

Mad that people still don't think the club you play for matters in terms of a call up. Hendry playing well for a mid-table Belgian side is only more impressive than Kerr playing for a mid-table Scottish side because one is contracted to Celtic.

They're currently 3rd or 4th I think. Generally I think though historically mid table / bottom half side (league of 16). Recently changed ownership so don't know if thats having an impact with more investment etc but presume his good performance is playing a part in their good season!

Looked them up last week when I seen discussion on Hendry just in case you're wondering why I know anything about them 😂

But yeah think we're thinking similar re the Scotland manager's view on Kerr 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

On a happier note, think I've done a half good job of trying to nail player roles. Simply so it's fairer to judge them/easier to explain what new players signed are.

I've got McCann as a box to box midfielder.

Bryson is a ball winner, as is Davidson.

Wotherspoon is a final 3rd threat.

Craig is a deep playmaker. 

Think that's pretty accurate in terms of the sort of overall role they've been handed this season? Not necessarily every game but as an overall example.

Could put in Gilmour and Ballantyne to see what happens with them and what roles they've been playing elsewhere.

Sorry if nobodies interested, I'm just excited I've got results I'm happy with. Some I'm a bit unsure of at other clubs, but in general it feels pretty close.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

On a happier note, think I've done a half good job of trying to nail player roles. Simply so it's fairer to judge them/easier to explain what new players signed are.

I've got McCann as a box to box midfielder.

Bryson is a ball winner, as is Davidson.

Wotherspoon is a final 3rd threat.

Craig is a deep playmaker. 

Think that's pretty accurate in terms of the sort of overall role they've been handed this season? Not necessarily every game but as an overall example.

Could put in Gilmour and Ballantyne to see what happens with them and what roles they've been playing elsewhere.

Sorry if nobodies interested, I'm just excited I've got results I'm happy with. Some I'm a bit unsure of at other clubs, but in general it feels pretty close.

Good job little buddy.

Apologies if this is hard to read, of absolutely no interest, I'll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler

Ballantynes role at Montrose has been closer to Wotherspoons than McCanns...

Bar length is not how good/bad they are at the roles, simply how close to that role they've been playing.

2021-03-17_11-38-20.thumb.png.c0e05be9cb2115a1ca8a79d3e646ef2d.png

Not really been a "ball winner" at all. 

And then Gilmour...

1895843848_Gilm.thumb.png.8ce394f6ab384e94d499a9dc7cf84f7a.png

Again, not how good/bad they've been, just what roles they've had. Wondering if this is a better way to find replacements than just raw figures? Would be worth finding a player whos played a similar selection of roles to replace McCann, then filter it by whos been the best, especially since we now have a "system".

Edited by RandomGuy.

40 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

kick in the teeth cause they won't get more shirts signed eh.  🤦‍♂️

I mean I'm not even sure how the club would facilitate the signing of fans memorabilia right now. It's not like fans can come down to the stadium and the club are hardly going to be receiving the stuff and then organising it to be sent back out. What a ridiculous thing for anyone to be getting upset at.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apologies if this is hard to read, of absolutely no interest, I'll put it in spoilers.

Hide contents

Ballantynes role at Montrose has been closer to Wotherspoons than McCanns...

Bar length is not how good/bad they are at the roles, simply how close to that role they've been playing.

2021-03-17_11-38-20.thumb.png.c0e05be9cb2115a1ca8a79d3e646ef2d.png

Not really been a "ball winner" at all. 

And then Gilmour...

1895843848_Gilm.thumb.png.8ce394f6ab384e94d499a9dc7cf84f7a.png

Again, not how good/bad they've been, just what roles they've had. Wondering if this is a better way to find replacements than just raw figures? Would be worth finding a player whos played a similar selection of roles to replace McCann, then filter it by whos been the best, especially since we now have a "system".

Gilmour hasn’t  scored in his career as far as I can see 

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

I mean I'm not even sure how the club would facilitate the signing of fans memorabilia right now. It's not like fans can come down to the stadium and the club are hardly going to be receiving the stuff and then organising it to be sent back out. What a ridiculous thing for anyone to be getting upset at.

That's what I was thinking. Can't see Saints having the staff and time to be getting tops signed and posting it all out etc. Also an expense Saints don't want to pay for. 

41 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Gilmour hasn’t  scored in his career as far as I can see 

Yeah I've tried to make it clear its what role they've been playing, not how good they are at it.

He was averaging around 1 shot per90 last season, and 0.1xG per90, which are both high for CMs in our division. So his role for Telstar last season seemed to be one who was tasked with getting chances. Trying to create a similar system to see what role they're actually suited for. Gilmour comes out like this...

Spoiler

Gilmour.png.057d209c9c0fcf2e8a44bf9c6a96aa36.png

... which feels better, and more what I expected to get. 

This is all just a work in progress which isn't perfect fwiw, there will be things people disagree with. Just an experiment to see what comes out.

Tanser won't be signing an extension ( no shock to anyone).
I wouldn't play him again this season. Booth deserves to play the season out IMO. Glad the manager didn't bring him into that cup final starting team now.
Good luck at non league English football Scott. Greedy agent once again ruining a players career. Do players ever learn ?

12 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I wouldn't play him again this season. Booth deserves to play the season out IMO. Glad the manager didn't bring him into that cup final starting team now.
Good luck at non league English football Scott. Greedy agent once again ruining a players career. Do players ever learn ?

Yeah Booth probably deserved to keep his place regardless tbh. IMO he links up better with Wotherspoon while also being stronger defensively. I liked Tanser and think he was better than what a lot of people claimed, but if he was wanting a wage that would make him one of our highest earners, he doesn't deserve that.

Plenty of interesting LBs free this Summer and we've got the perfect manager for finding a replacement. 

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

The above has been confirmed by Davidson in the courier. He’s a decent player, annoying that he fits well into the shape, but he’s definitely not irreplaceable. 

Edit: I wouldn’t play him either unless Booth picks up an injury. 

Edited by Kyle

8 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Scott McMann a realistic replacement?

Contracted to 2022 and rumoured to be subject of a 6 figure fee last season. So no chance IMO.

I like him but I know others don't. Haunstrup at Killie is another I like, but again contracted to 2022, relegation might open that up.

After that you're really looking down south.