Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Think there was some teething issues at 1st game IIRC but was fairly straightforward after that. ST holders got a plastic card to be scanned, pay per game had to show or print off an email for scanning.

Good to get above garbage like Raith & Morton who have 1 paltry trophy win!

Is there some some of bar code in the email you can scan at turnstiles or that? 

And aye, the big teams in Scotland have two major trophies! 

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Is there some some of bar code in the email you can scan at turnstiles or that? 

And aye, the big teams in Scotland have two major trophies! 

We used a hand held scanner by an operative in turnstiles,but I think it’s meant to be used automatically 

I think we could do better for the money, it's a gamble, is it worth taking while getting Hendry out the door as well? All depends on who Callum has lined up.
I'd like to think we have someone better lined for next season too. Stevie still contributed effectively against Accies though, despite what Random says.

53 minutes ago, The Marly said:
21 hours ago, tree house tam said:
I think we could do better for the money, it's a gamble, is it worth taking while getting Hendry out the door as well? All depends on who Callum has lined up.

I'd like to think we have someone better lined for next season too. Stevie still contributed effectively against Accies though, despite what Random says.

He did. I can also see Randoms point of view as well though, all depends what Callum has told them to do for that particular game. Callum saying what he did 8 months ago means f**k all, that was before Melamed came in, who incidentally, can play that stay in the box role better than May can now. That's before we even talk about the player he was replacing and the work effort needed to keep that in the side.

Lots of variables and we know f**k all of what was said behind the scenes so let's just leave it as Stevie May isn't great value for our outlay at the minute and we hope that changes soon.

He did. I can also see Randoms point of view as well though, all depends what Callum has told them to do for that particular game. Callum saying what he did 8 months ago means f**k all, that was before Melamed came in, who incidentally, can play that stay in the box role better than May can now. That's before we even talk about the player he was replacing and the work effort needed to keep that in the side.
Lots of variables and we know f**k all of what was said behind the scenes so let's just leave it as Stevie May isn't great value for our outlay at the minute and we hope that changes soon.
I'd definitely rather keep Guy than Stevie.

shrugs

I fully understand that Mays role might mean he has to sacrifice himself for the good of the team at times, I just refuse to believe that is the reason for him having about 3 shots on target in 4 months.

He's close to MacLean figures from 17/18, but just can't shoot.

Hell of a deal if you snag him for a year or two. In his prime and working well in the rotated system. I wonder what kind of dosh he's after though. I feel like the end is nigh for May.

Mays deal is interesting... Third year deal was dependent on goals etc in first 2 seasons. Don't think he's going to meet it

That's actually quite an innovative structure for a deal, if I'm picking it up right. If you score x goals, then the third year kicks in on the same terms. 

I have no problem with retaining Stevie May but it has to be on sensible terms. If another club is prepared to outbid us then I wouldn't worry too much. Saints will make him an offer on what they think he's worth, as they did for the non-scoring, non-assisting winger that will probably spend all of this afternoon sitting in the stand.

Would definitely like to seensome movement on contracts though. I think we are still to really see if Kirsten Robertson can get the job done on this front. 

We need to keep the squad together and need to protect our assets. 

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Mays deal is interesting... Third year deal was dependent on goals etc in first 2 seasons. Don't think he's going to meet it

1 hour ago, Radford said:

That's actually quite an innovative structure for a deal, if I'm picking it up right. If you score x goals, then the third year kicks in on the same terms. 

Yeah, this. 

Are Saints not rumoured to always have quite good bonuses in contracts?

Can't remember where I seen/heard that, but we seem very much a "earn what you earn" club.

Shaun Rooney, welcome back to Earth...

Screenshot_20210306-103644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.283cee0fa9222226a25d7bac218e267a.jpg

... really like how Davidson comes across in interviews tbh. Just seems to be really honest and doesn't get caught up in any games, while constantly pushing everyone to improve constantly.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I think a lot of saints fans felt that at the start Davidson wasn’t very positive or charismatic and I would still say he’s hardly the most enthusiastic personality. However, that’s just him as a person and one I’m absolutely fine with. Wright used to use the fans and the way they responded to him to use as a bartering stick, Davidson doesn’t need to do that.  He’s obviously very intelligent and thoughtful, which makes his measured answers come across as sincere. Not every manager needs to be a Klopp or a Simone, for every excitable character you’ve got a Guardiola or Ancelotti. 

The longer the seasons gone on the more and more I’m impressed with Davidson. I had my reservations and criticisms of him, still have some as with any manager. However he’s got a team playing the way and style he wants, he’s learning to adapt formations and keep players happy and motivated. The only slight concern still is his use of substitutes and changing a game that’s on the pitch. It remains to be seen how he does with transfers as well. 

All in all, every reason to be very positive about the manager right now that wasn’t apparent to begin with. Cup win or not, he’s growing into the role. 

1 minute ago, Widge said:

I think a lot of saints fans felt that at the start Davidson wasn’t very positive or charismatic and I would still say he’s hardly the most enthusiastic personality. However, that’s just him as a person and one I’m absolutely fine with. Wright used to use the fans and the way they responded to him to use as a bartering stick, Davidson doesn’t need to do that.  He’s obviously very intelligent and thoughtful, which makes his measured answers come across as sincere. Not every manager needs to be a Klopp or a Simone, for every excitable character you’ve got a Guardiola or Ancelotti. 

The longer the seasons gone on the more and more I’m impressed with Davidson. I had my reservations and criticisms of him, still have some as with any manager. However he’s got a team playing the way and style he wants, he’s learning to adapt formations and keep players happy and motivated. The only slight concern still is his use of substitutes and changing a game that’s on the pitch. It remains to be seen how he does with transfers as well. 

All in all, every reason to be very positive about the manager right now that wasn’t apparent to begin with. Cup win or not, he’s growing into the role. 

I'll admit I was a bit worried by his demeanour earlier in the season when the results weren't coming because he didn't seem to have the passion, seemed a bit flat and lost. That doesn't seem to translate in to the dressing room though.  Very happy to say that I was wrong to be worried. 

Looking forward to next season already. Hopeful after today's courier article that we have an outside chance of keeping Guy for another season. When/if the  restrictions start to ease hopefully he'll get to spend time with family etc. If he can keep up the performances we've seen since the start of the year he'd be in a great shop window to get him a good move while he's still young enough. 

4 hours ago, The Marly said:
10 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:
The club in talks with Guy,for extension to contract,Courier sport tonight 

I fear it may be too late. Should have been done earlier.

I don't think its that simple for teams like Saints unless top 6 is achieved

Jackie McNamara in an interview last night on a View from The Terrace said at Dundee Utd the earlier top 6 was achieved the quicker they could get down to resigning players and looking at future players 

If they were in bottom 6 then not much could be done until they were safe

I don't see much difference at St.johnstone to be honest and I see Callum Davidson saying similar somewhere in  lead up to today's game in that 3 points today goes a long way when it comes to talks about getting Guy and Kane signed up

Also interested to see he said 5 players being identified but no names 

So unless we are top 6 every season I think that's something we have to except