Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Interested to see how he approaches this Summer. Last Summer isn't really an indication IMO due to the circumstances. 

Does he stick with the likes of Bryson and Conway? Or roll the dice and sign less experienced players?

Still not sure if Gilmour was signed with an eye towards next season too?

17 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I'm not completely in agreement with that 

He is under contract till 2023 so unless big bid  comes in summer he probably will be with Saints 

Would love to be wrong. Just feel after the last year of almost certainly reduced finances, can we afford to turn down rye inevitable? I can’t speak highly enough of McCann. Been watching us for 20 odd years and can’t remember being as excited at a young talent. 

We can surely afford a wee gamble with Wotherspoon as well.  Obviously we're not going to risk his long term health, but if he's even 50:50 then it's got to be worth starting him.

If he gets injured and misses a month or two, well we're pretty much safe now anyway, and we are allowed plenty subs in the game so it shouldn't adversely affect us.

This one match is what the whole season rests on now.

Liam Craig almost had more touches than Wotherspoon and McCann combined v Motherwell, would you believe.

Feel the vast majority were him just mopping up after we'd forced Motherwell long though tbf.

Can't remember such an effective pressing performance from a Saints side, completely pinned them in. Sort of done that earlier this season at home but with Craig in there we didn't have the massive gaping hole to worry about.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Liam Craig almost had more touches than Wotherspoon and McCann combined v Motherwell, would you believe.

Feel the vast majority were him just mopping up after we'd forced Motherwell long though tbf.

Can't remember such an effective pressing performance from a Saints side, completely pinned them in. Sort of done that earlier this season at home but with Craig in there we didn't have the massive gaping hole to worry about.

It helped that they were trying to play short passes in their box via Ricky Lamie and some guy making his first professional start.

That Motherwell performance reminded me of Mixu’s Dundee United.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

It helped that they were trying to play short passes in their box via Ricky Lamie and some guy maki g his first professional start.

That Motherwell performance reminded me of Mixu’s Dundee United.

Yeah watching the game back it was all a bit bizarre from them. Keeper plays is short, we pin them back to within 20 yards of their goal, except for their three strikers. Keeper eventually goes long, our CB wins header, Craig is all alone to get the second ball, we attack.

Repeat for 90 minutes. 

The one time they managed to get through and have a "keeper - CM - Striker" build up, it ended with us winning a penalty about 20 seconds later 😂

I would have been going mental watching that if Saints played the way motherwell did.

Its fair enough playing from the back, and on occasions  Motherwell worked it well, though even when they looked to have played through us they went back and started it all again.

We were pressing so much, they had a makeshift defence in the midst of a relegation scrap, and their three best players were forwards.. it was crying out to get the ball into them earlier or play over us into the channels to relieve the pressure.

Its one of those ones you feel the manager has his principles and won’t deviate from them no matter what’s happening in front of his eyes.

It was great pressing by Saints though.

Next Sunday could be a 100mph press fest.

Thank f**k we've had a massive upturn in results since Christmas.  The way Accies and County are performing, we could have been sitting adrift at the bottom right now.

Those last 3 wins at Kilmarnock, Livingston and Motherwell have given us a bit of space, without them we'd be sitting bottom equal right now.  

Still half expect them both to turn it round, as it just feels unlikely either Motherwell or Killie will get relegated, but losing either (or both) of them would probably be good from a Saints point of view, compared to say Accies going down. 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Thank f**k we've had a massive upturn in results since Christmas.  The way Accies and County are performing, we could have been sitting adrift at the bottom right now.

Those last 3 wins at Kilmarnock, Livingston and Motherwell have given us a bit of space, without them we'd be sitting bottom equal right now.  

Still half expect them both to turn it round, as it just feels unlikely either Motherwell or Killie will get relegated, but losing either (or both) of them would probably be good from a Saints point of view, compared to say Accies going down. 

Absolutely.

Killie and Motherwell down, replaced by Hearts and a Raith type would be the best, I think.

Hamilton will always be there, and County will inevitably decline the longer Hughes is there. A team coming up who maybe aren't completely ready yet might struggle too.

Hats off to the guys doing the Dogger Podcast, I'd kind off dismissed is it as another shitey podcast but I've now listened to two straight and they have been great.

Kieren McAnespie and Kevin Twaddle were really interesting listens and I've went and bought Twaddle's Ebook.