Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I'd rather sit in the garden than up at McD with Ghostie and Random tbh. Can I be an exile too?

You sit in the directors seats anyway, dont you?

I was always completely against the UK streaming of any games, not just the Saturday afternoon ones. But I've softened a bit. Watching the games on TV/laptop/device has been fine but it wouldn't keep me from attending and actually, I now think seeing the team play well on a stream could encourage fans to attend more games. It could keep more fans connected with the club. 

The big problem is those who will happily never pay for a stream though and that's probably a major reason that clubs won't go for it. 

7 minutes ago, akuram said:

How many are now beginning to enjoy the watch at home experience?

Not in the slightest. Too much blurring/buffering even on the better streams and I'm constantly sat there in the knowledge that it just isn't how I like to watch Saints.

I'm still absolutely engrossed in the games, and I'm still invested in the outcome - but I can't say I'm particularly enjoying the experience overall.

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

So what's your argument - that we can have fans back but Celtic and Rangers can't? That just can't work.

There's a huge amount of middle ground here.

We could easily have all ST holders and probably more in McDiarmid, safely socially distant. Harder for Celtic/Rangers as they'd have to do some kind of ballot, but I'm sure they would cope.

Now that I think about it, if the Old Firm only allowed season ticket holders with a Glasgow address in, I'm sure that would narrow it down considerably. 

Not in the slightest. Too much blurring/buffering even on the better streams and I'm constantly sat there in the knowledge that it just isn't how I like to watch Saints.
I'm still absolutely engrossed in the games, and I'm still invested in the outcome - but I can't say I'm particularly enjoying the experience overall.
This for me.

There's a huge amount of middle ground here.

We could easily have all ST holders and probably more in McDiarmid, safely socially distant. Harder for Celtic/Rangers as they'd have to do some kind of ballot, but I'm sure they would cope.

Now that I think about it, if the Old Firm only allowed season ticket holders with a Glasgow address in, I'm sure that would narrow it down considerably. 
But they'll love it. Whichever cheek finishes second can then claim that they've been more affected by the return of fans than anyone else.

Honestly I know I'm in the minority here but PPV is my preferred option now, for most games barring the big ones it's just a much much better experience. Don't miss attending at all even to the point of, if it's the only way I can watch I can't see that being a big enough draw to get me back to the stadium.

Basically was a season ticket holder for 35 years up till this year and hardly missed a home game in that time. They do say it's habit forming and I suspect a few have got out of the habit this year.

For your average game I really have no desire to attend and go through all the usual hassles of cold, car park, stewarding etc etc but I do want to watch and pay for the privilege.

I'm just worried that with the lack of desire to really attend right now of PPV is removed o start to drift and Saints will loose my money

2 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Honestly I know I'm in the minority here but PPV is my preferred option now, for most games barring the big ones it's just a much much better experience. Don't miss attending at all even to the point of, if it's the only way I can watch I can't see that being a big enough draw to get me back to the stadium.

Basically was a season ticket holder for 35 years up till this year and hardly missed a home game in that time. They do say it's habit forming and I suspect a few have got out of the habit this year.

For your average game I really have no desire to attend and go through all the usual hassles of cold, car park, stewarding etc etc but I do want to watch and pay for the privilege.

I'm just worried that with the lack of desire to really attend right now of PPV is removed o start to drift and Saints will loose my money

I feel like this in a lot of ways.  Can’t be arsed travelling to Perth, although that may be because I’ve hardly travelled in a year, sitting freezing, then travelling back.  I do think attending is a habit. If I think of all the Saints fans that I’ve known over the years that have drifted away, not one said they weren’t coming back. It was more I can’t afford it right now or I have to do such and such but I’ll be coming when I can and I’ll definitely get a season ticket when I can.  Rarely, if ever, seen at games now.

2 minutes ago, Bose said:

I feel like this in a lot of ways.  Can’t be arsed travelling to Perth, although that may be because I’ve hardly travelled in a year, sitting freezing, then travelling back.  I do think attending is a habit. If I think of all the Saints fans that I’ve known over the years that have drifted away, not one said they weren’t coming back. It was more I can’t afford it right now or I have to do such and such but I’ll be coming when I can and I’ll definitely get a season ticket when I can.  Rarely, if ever, seen at games now.

This is where I think carrying on the PPV is a good option. For many reasons folk may not want to go physically, like the added travel costs and times but they may just decide on the day to pay to watch at home. This is money that would be otherwise lost to the club.

In honesty Saints and Scottish football have probably benefitted more from me this year than any other in my 35 years.  I have paid for every stream home and away, purchased pie boxes and still purchase the usual merchandise.

For the first time ever I am on course to actually watch every Saints game in a season in that regard I actually feel more connected in some strange way.

PPV won't continue once restrictions are lifted so its pointless even talking about it.

Sky won't allow it, clubs won't want it as they'll miss out on both matchday income, and in our case OF crowds seeing as all our home matches v them are on Sky, and it's so easily gotten around you'd have the vast majority of folk using IPTV within a couple of years.

I'd be amazed if most clubs are making any money at all through PPV.

I think a lot of it comes down to what people get out of a matchday. For me it is an absolutely central part of my social life - it is where I meet my friends, it is what we build our days out around, it is where as the father of two young children I get out to let off some steam screaming at the East Stand side linesman once a fortnight! None of that can be achieved sitting watching on a fuzzy stream in my bedroom.

My really petty infuration with the PPVs is that you have to put your phone on silent because otherwise you get a notification from your Sky Sports score app about five seconds before a goal actually goes in!

On top of the social aspect I live for the live game. 

The excitement of the build up, traveling to away games, discussing it, getting excited as the teams come out, the moment the ball hits the net and that feeling that gives. None of that is there watching on TV at home. It's just not the same thing, it's just like any other game when watching from home.

4 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

On top of the social aspect I live for the live game. 

The excitement of the build up, traveling to away games, discussing it, getting excited as the teams come out, the moment the ball hits the net and that feeling that gives. None of that is there watching on TV at home. It's just not the same thing, it's just like any other game when watching from home.

A year ago today was the Ayr game.

Not a single game this season, including a Cup Semi that we won 3-0, has even come close to getting me as excited. I'm not even hugely nervous about the Final. 

If the ticket was sitting in my house I'd already be shitting it with excitement.

What a year this could've been btw. Opening day trip to Tannadice, Dens in the Cup, winning a Semi v Hibs 3-0, reaching a winnable Cup Final, Scotland at the Euros. Watching the games on TV/laptop won't come close.

Edited by RandomGuy.

This is where I think carrying on the PPV is a good option. For many reasons folk may not want to go physically, like the added travel costs and times but they may just decide on the day to pay to watch at home. This is money that would be otherwise lost to the club.
In honesty Saints and Scottish football have probably benefitted more from me this year than any other in my 35 years.  I have paid for every stream home and away, purchased pie boxes and still purchase the usual merchandise.
For the first time ever I am on course to actually watch every Saints game in a season in that regard I actually feel more connected in some strange way.
As RandomGuy said, it's not going to happen.

There are some arguments for but there are plenty of arguments against. Again, RandomGuy mentioned some but you also have to bear in mind that if saints are allowed to stream then so will the OF and potentially the EPL. All of a sudden you're competing with a whole different market.
PPV won't continue once restrictions are lifted so its pointless even talking about it.
Sky won't allow it, clubs won't want it as they'll miss out on both matchday income, and in our case OF crowds seeing as all our home matches v them are on Sky, and it's so easily gotten around you'd have the vast majority of folk using IPTV within a couple of years.
I'd be amazed if most clubs are making any money at all through PPV.
Depends what you mean by making money. If you mean covering the general costs of the football club then, yes youre right. If any club is streaming and not covering the cost of the streaming and making some money on top then they are doing it wrong. Badly wrong.