Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The Herald have it the other way around - the player is waiting to hear from us. :lol: 

Two new signings before the window closes would be a huge boost for us. We’d almost certainly fill the bench every week too. 

Yeah just went and asked. We've not made an offer yet so can't see him being in for the weekend. 

Maybe we're getting 2 signings! 😜

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Greg Stewart anyone? 

No thanks. Lazy, paceless waster who doesn't fit into any formation we play!

Edited by Widge

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

No thanks. Lazy, paceless waster who doesn't fit into any formation we play!

I can't help but think he'd fit perfectly into Davidson's 5-2-3, playing off the right. 

He's surely out of our reach financially.

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I can't help but think he'd fit perfectly into Davidson's 5-2-3, playing off the right. 

He's surely out of our reach financially.

Davidson's system requires high levels of energy and a defensive ability to know exactly when to close down and press. The wide players in that formation need to have great energy levels, stamina and pace. 

Stewart has none of those things and would most likely end up a man down at times.

Id worry Stewart is one of these players who've spent years sitting on their arse earning a fortune and now don't have the desire to really push for anything when the drop down the ladder again.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

Davidson's system requires high levels of energy and a defensive ability to know exactly when to close down and press. The wide players in that formation need to have great energy levels, stamina and pace. 

Stewart has none of those things and would most likely end up a man down at times.

Fair point, he's not the greatest at getting back in but he would be a match winner for us which we don't really have in the current squad. Spoony has that ability and O'Halloran has done that for us in the past too but Stewart's natural ability is on a different level to both. If we ask him to stay high up the pitch, we'd have a wing back, a holding midfielder and a right centre back to cover that area. Maybe not right for every game but I think he'd be a pretty big upgrade on the other wing/attacking midfield options that we currently have, besides Spoony obviously.

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Fair point, he's not the greatest at getting back in but he would be a match winner for us which we don't really have in the current squad. Spoony has that ability and O'Halloran has done that for us in the past too but Stewart's natural ability is on a different level to both. If we ask him to stay high up the pitch, we'd have a wing back, a holding midfielder and a right centre back to cover that area. Maybe not right for every game but I think he'd be a pretty big upgrade on the other wing/attacking midfield options that we currently have, besides Spoony obviously.

I don't disagree that he's got ability in abundance. I'm just not sure he's the right fit for our squad. As Randomguy says, I'm not sure he's got any passion or love for the game left and he's never struck me as a team player. At least with the likes of Wotherspoon and Swanson previously there was always a desire to work backwards and defend as part of a larger unit. I'm not sure Stewart has ever had to do that or wants to do that. 

He's a matchwinner alright, but I think he'd end up being another McFadden, someone who's lost what little pace they have, is on a large wage and is shoehorned into the team without producing anything.

20 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Tbh I thought of a sevco loanee, Middleton or Jones or Stewart 🤷‍♂️

Could well still end up with one of those kind of signings. 

More likely than one from down south due to how difficult covid situation makes it to see families.

Definitely the kind of signing we should make providing he's good enough of course.

It's the kind of signings we've made in the past that have been successful for us. Scottish guys who have somewhat lost their way down south with something to prove and looking to get their career back on track. MOH & Kennedy as examples. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Some suggestion he'll end up back at Aberdeen for the 45th time in a deal for Wright. 

Would Dundee be keen on him now or do you feel his time is up like some suggested here?

I reckon we'd be very keen on him, but that's also not happening.

Appears happy sat on the bench for Rangers it seems, disappointing. If he isn't swapped with Wright at Aberdeen then his next move will be a lower Prem team imo, my guess would be Killie tbh.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

24 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I reckon we'd be very keen on him, but that's also not happening.

Appears happy sat on the bench for Rangers it seems, disappointing. If he isn't swapped with Wright at Aberdeen then his next move will be a lower Prem team imo, my guess would be Killie tbh.

The word on the street about Stewart when he was up on loan at Killie was he wasn't particularly interested in any permanent move because of the salary he was receiving from Birmingham and wanted to see that contract out. IF true, imagine he'll feel similar on Rangers contract and end up on loan somewhere like as you say Killie or Aberdeen continually until his deal expires.

The son of a former player who was attracting our attentions is seemingly on the move I have heard  possibly a Pre contract nothing in the information where to though, however if he was to move now a fee would be involved! he will be cup tied so cant be him that would make the semi on Saturday? 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was that not a rumour last season too?

Wonder if it's the same player.

Yasssss

You'll get to continue your Jordan Rhodes argument on WAP!!