Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW I want us to sign Luke Southwood from Reading, and obviously Luke McCowan from Ayr aswell, so expect them to join Scottish sides at some point in the next year too just to piss me off.

Also had no idea Murray Davidson didn't score a single league goal last season, or this season. Hes scored 2 leagues goals in the last 24 months.

Southwood if he doesn't succeed at Reading he'll end up somewhere like Forest Green. Like Williams did. 

McCowan... Livi? 

13 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Southwood if he doesn't succeed at Reading he'll end up somewhere like Forest Green. Like Williams did. 

McCowan... Livi? 

Fwiw I've added George Williams season into my daft wee database last night and it didn't like him at all 😂 even when I've looked at EFL leagues I can't remember seeing his name, so I guess we maybe got "lucky" missing out on him?

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fwiw I've added George Williams season into my daft wee database last night and it didn't like him at all 😂 even when I've looked at EFL leagues I can't remember seeing his name, so I guess we maybe got "lucky" missing out on him?

He'd fit perfectly into the current team due to his complete inability to score while here 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think people need to look at more than just numbers sometimes, although maybe not with someone like George Williams. A decent player on the eye but wasn’t particularly productive for us. 

I’ve noticed you saying before that Davidson’s numbers are poor but there’s more to his game than his numbers suggest IMO. At his best his presence improves the team, something you wouldn’t say for someone like Williams and probably not for likes of Drey Wright either. 

I think people need to look at more than just numbers sometimes, although maybe not with someone like George Williams. A decent player on the eye but wasn’t particularly productive for us. 
I’ve noticed you saying before that Davidson’s numbers are poor but there’s more to his game than his numbers suggest IMO. At his best his presence improves the team, something you wouldn’t say for someone like Williams and probably not for likes of Drey Wright either. 

I think how good a player’s numbers are decides whether they’re a useful player to have around or a good/great player you go above and beyond to keep.

Some of the examples cited; Wright and Williams definitely useful players to have around. Even though the former had a poor final ball and didn’t score goals, from the wing he passes the ball well and causes enough chaos through being able to consistently beat a man that you feel we end up scoring goals indirectly, be it from a set piece he won or the second ball from one of his (normally quite poor crosses). So a useful player that would offer something to the team. But if he had a better final ball or got himself into shooting positions regularly enough to score some goals I reckon we’d all have been a lot more gutted when he turned down a new deal.

I thought Williams seemed like someone who could have came into the good category of having alright ‘numbers’ with a bit of development, but never happened. Even still he contributed goals indirectly in the same way Wright did to what was a pretty poor, stuffy team as I remember.

Davidson when he was scoring 5+ goals a season definitely a good player as defined by the ‘numbers’ along with the other stuff. Now he doesn’t score many but still offers presence in the middle of the park/tough tackling etc etc as Kyle outlines. So now he too is a ‘useful’ player to have around rather than one of our good ones.

Players like Wotherspoon who have the ‘numbers’ season after season yet stick around are absolute gold imo.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Absolutely, at best the numbers are 33% of the picture. You have to watch them play/train and know them as people to get the full picture.

I try not to give the impression they're the way to judge players entirely, but I don't think I do that very well tbh, so I don't mean to annoy people if they think that's what I'm saying. On Davidson all his metrics are well done on 15/16, 16/17, which is what I'm saying. It's at the point know where his numbers have declined to a similar point from where they started as I can see with Berra/MacLean when they got to the end of their top flight careers. Its impossible for me to put into numbers his impact on team mates and the overall shape.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Someone messaged me earlier today and asked if I heard anything about Charlie Gilmour training with Saints released by Norwich City in October.

No idea if true though. 

I like this. Make it happen, Mr Positive, sometimes. 

Just now, Kyle said:

I like this. Make it happen, Mr Positive, sometimes. 

Didn't come from a "in the know" so could be shite but they said the person who said something to them was reliable but I didn't ask who that was.

Could be a total coincidence that it was the same day were hearing signings incoming but I'm sure we'll find out....