Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Barring injuries from today or in training through the week, our starting team for Hampden next week has to be;

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Tanser

Wotherspoon

Kane Melamed

The only one up for debate is Davidson for Craig.  I like Muzz, but I just feel Craig is our best option at protecting the defence and allowing McCann to dictate play more.

Surely can't be any changes other than that that Davidson even contemplates.

Agree with this line up, would be happy for Davidson to play ahead of Craig though as you've also mentioned. I'm glad we've found a team that's at least tough to beat as the last few games have demonstrated, hopefully the front 3 can carry the form of the last couple of games into the semi as they're definitely good enough as a unit to cause Hibs problems.

Edited by Kyle

Today’s win even more crucial when you look at our upcoming run of fixtures. Aberdeen, Killie, Livi, Celtic and Rangers the next five opponents. That’s a tough series of games at any time, and as much as some of them are in poor form just now we’ll need to play well to take some vital points as we come up to the split.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite sad but I'm not that excited about the Semi Final, just feels like another game since we won't actually be there.

I think the fans of all 4 teams feel like this, hopefully as the week goes by the output from the club will build up some form of excitement .

In normal times, people get the build up from booking busses , social clubs , then getting their tickets, all lost to the virus.

Even as a media team member I feel the same, the likelihood is only a select few can go and we will cover it from home for some of the match day roles.

Good to see us finally get a bit of good fortune; the opposition getting a player sent off, the break of the ball falling to Kane for the goal, and st Mirren failing to find any quality at all with the delivery of numerous free kicks around the box we kept carelessly giving away in the last 20.

We were the better side, but that was exactly the kind of match we've failed to win most of the season.

The one thing that still stands out to me is how poor our finishing is.  Not just the forwards, but the shooting from throughout the team as well.  So rarely do we ever see a Saints player strike the ball cleanly.  Bryson got into a couple of great positions today but produced powderpuff efforts, Conway has regularly skied the ball from decent opportunities, as have Wotherspoon and Craig on occasions.  All four are technically good players.  The forwards have regularly missed chances, and rarely even produced good efforts at goal.  Even our goal today was a sclaff.  

I've seen Saints teams that didn't create many goals, and I've seen individual players go through phases of not finishing well, but I don't think I've ever seen an entire squad go through such a sustained period of dreadful finishing.  You have to hope one week it'll click and everything we hit will fly into the top corner, but it's been a long wait..

Its a bit bizarre when in all round play most of the team have generally played okay.

Onto more important matters, what are we calling our new strikeforce: K-A-M or M-A-K? I favour M-A-K. It sounds Scottish and you can expand it to 'M-A-K Attack' if you feel that way inclined. I'd prefer it without the hyphens, but P&B doesn't allow this and I have no idea why.

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Onto more important matters, what are we calling our new strikeforce: K-A-M or M-A-K? I favour M-A-K. It sounds Scottish and you can expand it to 'M-A-K Attack' if you feel that way inclined. I'd prefer it without the hyphens, but P&B doesn't allow this and I have no idea why.

Was there not a complete c**t on here called that who was banned?

Think he was Hearts?

I thought Kerr's first instinct was still to get beyond a midfielder or full back after passing the ball but teams will be wise to it now and will do things like St Mirren did by playing a striker like Erwin to the left. Early on, Brophy made quite a few runs into the channel behind Kerr but was thankfully always offside. 

I did think JK defended really well yesterday though but he would know he needed to with Rooney having shown he's an option there and Brown becoming available for selection soon. Competition for places is so important. 

Thought Kerr was still looking to make that underlapping run that he likes to make - albeit slightly less often than he did before. However, with Rooney being so direct and so willing to drive inside past his opponent with the ball maybe he doesn’t have to so often?

Kerrs "average" position, and McCarts, were lower than usual, FWIW. More of a proper flat back 3 than I'm used to seeing.

Everything about yesterday, watching it and looking at numbers, suggests we set up to be more solid, play on the counter more, and try and create space in the final third by allowing St Mirren to play up the park. Maybe even suggest why we lost it a bit after the red as some players, subconsciously, were caught trying to continue playing this why while others wanting to switch onto the front foot?

Don't mind it at all tbh, its pleasing Davidson seems to have accepted we can't play through teams sitting deep.

Another thing I think is vastly improved in the past two matches is earlier deliveries from wide areas.  It seems like we haven't fannied around with the ball out wide with so many passes and allowed the defence to get set up as we were doing previously.

Spoony for Kane's goal at Tannadice among others, and in the first half alone yesterday Tanser, Wotherspoon and Rooney put great balls into dangerous areas.

39 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Another thing I think is vastly improved in the past two matches is earlier deliveries from wide areas.  It seems like we haven't fannied around with the ball out wide with so many passes and allowed the defence to get set up as we were doing previously.

Spoony for Kane's goal at Tannadice among others, and in the first half alone yesterday Tanser, Wotherspoon and Rooney put great balls into dangerous areas.

Reckon it's because we have, at least, two players in there?

5-2-3 we only have one real target, and May is getting hellish for being outside the box. Both Melamed and Kane seem willing to attack the 6 yard box.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

5-2-3 we only have one real target, and May is getting hellish for being outside the box. Both Melamed and Kane seem willing to attack the 6 yard box.

One thing I noticed about Guy in the United game was he actually turned away from Spoony a couple of times when they were both going for the ball out wide and ran straight into space in the box. May would've been still out there  overlapping then crossing into an empty box.

While it's great that Kane's coming onto a game while May dips in form,  the emergence of Melamed has freshened it right up. All we need now is Hendry to become more disciplined and actually screw the nut before he vanishes to non league obscurity. 

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Must be part of it. It does look like a conscious move to not have the wing back, a midfielder and a forward passing it between them 3 or 4 times before putting in a hopeful ball.

The directness of Melamed, and Kane’s willingness to spin defenders instead of always playing the safe ball back have given us a threat through the middle as well, which maybe opens up space out wide.

No surprise that the weekend we finally get a win, County pump Aberdeen, and Motherwell are looking good as they currently lead rangers 1-0.  This is going to be a rollercoaster all the way!!