Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I just don’t see Wright getting the job, he just doesn’t fit with Motherwell’s “model”. I get that they’re in the shit and need a safe pair of hands, but I just don’t think the shoe fits for Wright there. Who knows though. 

8 minutes ago, Bose said:

Motherwell fans on their thread seem to think Alexander has got it 

Poor TW.

I said it somewhere but I'm convinced he won't manage again (he'll be announced by Motherwell 2 minutes after I post this), he'll look for jobs, and some he won't get and some he'll get offered, but nothing will feel right and he'll find himself less and less interested in getting back involved with with shitheap of being a manager in Scottish football.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Poor TW.

I said it somewhere but I'm convinced he won't manage again (he'll be announced by Motherwell 2 minutes after I post this), he'll look for jobs, and some he won't get and some he'll get offered, but nothing will feel right and he'll find himself less and less interested in getting back involved with with shitheap of being a manager in Scottish football.

https://twitter.com/tommywright155?s=09

Looks like he's gone a bit mad tbf...

Some good news in the paper today from Davidson.

We're only likely to, at best, get a couple of loan deals in. While he's "sitting down with the chairman" over the next month to try and get contract extensions handed out to some of the players we have out of contract, but uncertainty about where we'll finish in the league, and further budget cuts next season, mean it'll be a struggle.

We're literally sleepwalking into a situation where we're going to get relegated, have about 5 players, and need to get promoted with a squad of Championship players.

Hopefully it's just Davidson pulling a TW to get things moving.

Just now, tree house tam said:

I'd hope if it is loan deals it's high end loans he's looking at. We don't need another Tanto. 

I've already had a look through Millwalls U23 squad...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Some good news in the paper today from Davidson.

We're only likely to, at best, get a couple of loan deals in. While he's "sitting down with the chairman" over the next month to try and get contract extensions handed out to some of the players we have out of contract, but uncertainty about where we'll finish in the league, and further budget cuts next season, mean it'll be a struggle.

We're literally sleepwalking into a situation where we're going to get relegated, have about 5 players, and need to get promoted with a squad of Championship players.

Hopefully it's just Davidson pulling a TW to get things moving.

The full interview was on the news somewhere at the start of the week 

It  mainly featured Brian Rice at Hamilton 

He was saying how tough it was going to be with lockdown as players were not committed to coming to Scotland due to lockdown and being away from family for too long

He said he had 2 players coming but they had backed off due to above 

Callum featured at the end echoing this and said a few sentences on his stance which part of was being able to see players with fewer games and no travel and relying on video clips 

We all know what that was hinting at

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I'd hope if it is loan deals it's high end loans he's looking at. We don't need another Tanto. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've already had a look through Millwalls U23 squad...

What is high end Tam would you class? A young (Highly rated) striker from Chelsea. Liverpool, Manchester teams etc?(Who normally get a Loan to English Championship level) or a mature striker not getting game time at his present club and contract is running out or a coming back from a serious injury and needing to find out if he can still play.

my thoughts are we  are never in the first case scenario even Our top two teams don't get that level of loan. the second opinion is more likely but also we are well down a priority list i would think and we do get the dregs, a couple of names from the second option available i think are Louis Moult and Jjason cummings  would they be high end? they will have better suitors than us and would they make a difference to us at present?.

Just interested in the  high end level?      

The manager quoting 13 players as being out of contract and that they are in discussions with four or five:

Parish; Booth, Gordon, Tanser; Bryson, Conway, Craig, Davidson, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran; Kane, May, Melamed. 

The priority would always be young assets that have the potential to earn you a transfer fee but the club have protected themselves well there with the deals handed out over the past couple of years. 

You have three guys well into their thirties (Bryson, Craig and Conway) and even Murray Davidson is going to be 33 this year. He'll be worth another season but you aren't going to rush in with the other ones and it's certainly questionable whether Conway and especially Bryson will be here next season. They were short-term signings given everything that went on this summer. Never ideal but better than being lumbered with a player the manager wasn't sure about on a two-year contract. 

Melamed will do well to make it to the summer and clearly has a lot to prove. They should really be looking to improve upon Parish if he's not capable of properly challenging Clark. 

Gordon, Tanser and Wotherspoon are all regular starters and the sort of players that offer the consistency of the last decade has been built around. In terms of ease of doing a deal, they are probably the three you'd hope to see sorted this month and are all worth two years. 

Callum Booth is the sort of solid squad player you need and, again, sticking with a guy like him breeds continuity. But when you don't know the budget for next year, you don't dive in with that one, which is presumably why he only got another 6 months ahead of the window opening.

The last three are interesting, for different reasons. The manager clearly trusts Chris Kane and there's an argument that he's his first choice at the moment but sometimes brave decisions need to be made. I really like the player and think he brings a lot to the side but the issues in front of goal continue to dog him and, as a result, the team. Derek McInnes made the brave decision to rip it all up after a low-scoring season in 2010/11 when he released Samuel, MacDonald and Jackson. We can talk about him being fine as a third or fourth choice striker but the reality is that whilst he is here, our last two managers have looked to him consistently because of the power of work he does. Maybe they need to take that option away from themselves? On the flip side, I've spoken about the consistency that has brought success and he won't be on big money. Speaking of big money...

Two high earners in May and O'Halloran. Goals are goals but when your 10-goal return consists of scoring from open play in two Premiership matches, it can be a bit deceiving. Paying a striker that scores 27 goals in a season big money is one thing but we've certainly not had that sort of return this term. Of course I want Stevie May as part of our striking armoury but I just hope a deal can be negotiated on reasonable terms. 

The same applies to O'Halloran. A match-winner on his day, although those days are (a lot) rarer than was previously the case. I don't think he suits playing in the front three either. With everything he does possess, I'd like him here next season but it's another where the club need to try and get the terms stacked back in our favour a bit. 

Then you move onto what we need to add for next season after having a quiet summer and with not much long-term thinking planned for January... 

Parish - Bin, we need better in this department. However we all know that Ross Sinclair will come back from his loan and sit on the bench until Clark gets injured. Ideally he'd go out on loan and you'd get a first choice challenger in; however is Sinclair any more likely to cost us points than Clark, I'm doubtful right now. 

Booth - Keep if the deals right. Solid pro and hasn't let us down. 

Gordon - Keep; however, I'd caveat that this by saying he needs to improve. We lose a lot of goals in the middle of the box from crosses, exactly where Liam should be dealing with them, has a rather unfortunate habit of being easily dragged all over the place, this needs to stop.

Tanser - Keep. Many don't like him, I think he's a very good player in the right system. Not sure the wing back role suits him, since he needs someone in front of him all the time, but when he gets a chance he can cross a ball and back things happen.

Bryson - Bin

Conway - Bin

Craig - Keep, with the view to pushing him into a coaching role. Can't afford to let a guy like Liam go. Knows the club inside out, knows the players and will be a massive asset to the younger guys if he was put in charge.

Davidson - Keep, but probably the last season for Murray.

Wotherspoon - Keep. He's probably the only matchwinner we have in the squad and should play every game.

O'Halloran - Bin. I've made my feelings clear on O'Halloran before. For the wage he gets, he brings very little return to the team. It's similar to Drey Wright, except he actually contributed in the other ways. Mickey has had so many chances this season and he's currently repaying the manager with more red cards than goals. At 30 he's a senior player who's never going to learn anything technically or tactically, so cut our losses I say.

Kane - Bin, we really need better. I get the effort and overall play with Kane is good, but as a striker we'd be as well having me play!

May - Keep, but we really need to find a way to get him in the box. I actually think he's got the look of a second striker now in the way he plays. That's not a bad thing, but if we persist with 1 up front then he can't play that role. If we go with a 2 striker formation and have someone willing to play exclusively between the 18 yard lines then we'd see the best of May.

Melamed - Bin. I'd like to see what he can do, but if he's not getting a chance it's a waste of a presumably high wage.

So I've decided to keep 7 of the out of contract players. I'd imagine that the likes of Davidson, Booth and Craig are fairly relaxed about it and would be happy to wait until later on in the season since they're unlikely to have offers or visions of moving elsewhere in this stage of their career. So My list kind of matches what Davidson has been saying I guess, which gives me some comfort I guess. Watch as we now announce it's Parish, Kane and Conway who've all signed on again, the support would become mutinous. 

I think the 4 or 5 are probably quite easy to work out. 

Parish; Booth, Gordon, Tanser; Bryson, Conway, Craig, Davidson, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran; Kane, May, Melamed. 

It wont be Kane, Booth or Craig because they've just signed new deals. It's not Melamed or MOH given the manager's recent comments in the press which leaves 8.

Parish; Gordon, Tanser; Bryson, Conway, Davidson, Wotherspoon, May,  

I'd hope its not Conway or Bryson as they're not at the required standard and will be another year past it and Parish can't get in the team ahead of Clark who's had a number of clangers this season.

Which leaves

Gordon, Tanser, Davidson, Wotherspoon, May,  

Edited by Kyle

Being brutal I'd only offer deals to Tanser, Gordon, and Wotherspoon.

The rest are either shite, old, or aren't justifying their wage just now.

Craig and May probably deserve a new deal but on the caveat one is just back up because we've signed better, and one accepts he'll be paid less. Davidson would only get offered something because he's been here so long.

Conway the best of the new signings and isn't as bad as people say, but like Craig only if he accepts a back up wage and we sign better. Bryson is just making up the numbers.

Melamed a waste of time for everyone. Kane I don't know about tbh.

In terms of new loan signings, they need be McNamara standard and not Olaofe. We need to improve on the first 11 or we're in real bother. County and Motherwell will try and spend their way out of bother as they always do so we need proper reinforcement.

56 minutes ago, Center half said:

What is high end Tam would you class? A young (Highly rated) striker from Chelsea. Liverpool, Manchester teams etc?(Who normally get a Loan to English Championship level) or a mature striker not getting game time at his present club and contract is running out or a coming back from a serious injury and needing to find out if he can still play.

my thoughts are we  are never in the first case scenario even Our top two teams don't get that level of loan. the second opinion is more likely but also we are well down a priority list i would think and we do get the dregs, a couple of names from the second option available i think are Louis Moult and Jjason cummings  would they be high end? they will have better suitors than us and would they make a difference to us at present?.

Just interested in the  high end level?      

Premiership level is of course high end, out of our reach? I'd mostly agree but we did get the under 23 captain of a yo-yo club of that level last season. You say even the bigots don't get them, they do but it costs money, shitloads of money, as Celtic found out with the young Belgian from Chelsea.

The scenarios you describe are exactly the players we should be looking at, quality coming back from injury, young guys out to prove they have what it takes and guys nearing end of contracts that won't play for the next few months. Championship level in England and above is what I mean but open to have a punt on a big burly black bully from league 1 because 9 times out of 10 we'll get more return from them than your Chris Kanes of this world.