Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The best we've seen of Wotherspoon for a month.  Him coming on fresh when the game was stretched and open really benefitted us.

I'd like to see us do this in a few tight fixtures. Start out with a very 'safe' and not particularly attacking line up and keep a couple of our potential game changers on the bench. Keep the game tight for an hour, however unentertaining it sounds, then make positive changes with 25-30 minutes to go.

We don't score many anyway, so focus on still being in the match.  At the minute our creative players are basically used as defensive players when they're on from the start (O'Halloran and Conway today).

5-4-1 or 5-3-2 (we're never going away from 3 cb's so I'm no that's gong to mention it) with at least one midfielder sitting in front of the defence.

How about just playing your best 11 and winning the game before we need to use the subs, who should be of an equivalent standard by the way.

Just now, The Woolshed said:

Any ideas when Jason (assuming fit & well) will be eligible? Might we see a 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 next weekend against United? Still 2/3 winnable games coming in our next 3 so need to start taking our chances.

Think its 10 days for a positive Covid test?

Don't know what that means mind you.

Even if hes out we'll just play MOH as a wing back and keep Rooney as a CB, presumably until he costs us a goal by misjudging a simple header.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think its 10 days for a positive Covid test?

Don't know what that means mind you.

Even if hes out we'll just play MOH as a wing back and keep Rooney as a CB, presumably until he costs us a goal by misjudging a simple header.

It was Gordon that missed the header today, Rooney seen it late, but Zander should be dropping on the ball, it wasn’t  a pass back 

12 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

How about just playing your best 11 and winning the game before we need to use the subs, who should be of an equivalent standard by the way.

You would think so. But it hasn't worked that well for us for a while.  And yes, the system hasn't helped us.

You have to wonder if the players even practice shooting. Last two games we’ve had 5 or 6 players efforts on target and the only one that vaguely troubled the goalkeeper came from Liam Gordon. 

Not that it really matters ultimately. We were back to throwing crosses into the box today with only 1 player consistently in the middle and no one really in a position to pick up a second ball. 

Only two and a half more years of this to go. 

edit: whilst I am here and moaning, can anyone tell me what Craig Bryson has done in a Saints shirt - or an indeed an Aberdeen shirt - that has earned Davidson’s ‘trust’? Why was he selected to play ahead of the other options on the bench? Melamed hasn’t had much of a chance but I’d argue he’s contributed more than Bryson when he has played and is more of a natural replacement to someone like Conway. I’d be giving Bryson the ole mutie t before I would Melamed. 

Edited by Kyle

58 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You have to wonder if the players even practice shooting. Last two games we’ve had 5 or 6 players efforts on target and the only one that vaguely troubled the goalkeeper came from Liam Gordon. 

Not that it really matters ultimately. We were back to throwing crosses into the box today with only 1 player consistently in the middle and no one really in a position to pick up a second ball. 

Only two and a half more years of this to go. 

edit: whilst I am here and moaning, can anyone tell me what Craig Bryson has done in a Saints shirt - or an indeed an Aberdeen shirt - that has earned Davidson’s ‘trust’? Why was he selected to play ahead of the other options on the bench? Melamed hasn’t had much of a chance but I’d argue he’s contributed more than Bryson when he has played and is more of a natural replacement to someone like Conway. I’d be giving Bryson the ole mutie t before I would Melamed. 

The sub also sent all the wrong signals today. We were dominating and pushing for a winner and the sub screamed we'll take a point and want to just "hold on" and from then onwards we were hanging on. 

While the spoony change worked out very well, the Bryson one wasn't. 

I also agree. Another signing so far who's been a let down. 

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

What exactly does Davidson "trust" Kane to do?

The only thing that you can bank on is him missing a sitter.

Sadly no matter what formation you play, if you’ve got the goal-virgin Chris Kane up top you’re going to struggle to win football matches. The boy has no idea where the goal is.

There’s a few players in that starting line up today who simply aren’t Premiership standard players in my view. Rooney being another.

5 minutes ago, derek_holmes said:

Do we think McNamara leaving will have an adverse effect on the team? Rooney or O'Halloran would certainly offer something different and more direct in that position. And any (non-punny) news on the replacement from Millwall?

If it means MOH stops playing in the role he started today then it can only be a good thing.

He doesn't have the game intelligence to play that role. 

6 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Sadly no matter what formation you play, if you’ve got the goal-virgin Chris Kane up top you’re going to struggle to win football matches. The boy has no idea where the goal is.

There’s a few players in that starting line up today who simply aren’t Premiership standard players in my view. Rooney being another.

It doesn't help that we've not played Rooney once in the position he impressed TW at ICT playing. Played pretty much exclusively at right back for them.

Admittedly didn't see him at ICT but it's clear he's not a central defender. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

4-4-2 next weekend given we have two traditional full backs and two solid available centre backs. MOH and Spoony on either wing with McCann and Muzz in the middle. Two of the other 4/5 strikers up top. Not a chance Davidson would go with that but given we’ve played United 3 times and still not beaten them it’s surely worth trying something different 

I thought that was Rooneys worst game for us today. Caught out of position, misplaced passes, he looked pretty flat tbh. He did manage a couple of blocks but he needs to do better. It was up at Dingwall either last season or the season before that I totally lost confidence in Kane, he had 2 glorious chances to win it that day, same goal end today,  same shooting results, never even hit the target. He shouldn't be at Saints and I said it back then that if you're relying on Kane as a main striker you deserve to be relegated. 

Thought Spoony, McCann, Gordon and McCart had reasonable games. Danny was okay, Muzz okay, Clark was slightly better than he has been but there are others who probably don't justify the wages they'll be picking up. Not the worst result but it comes on the end of a sequence of results that aren't good enough so just feels like the same old shit.

I just struggle to get my head around playing wing backs and wingers in the same formation. Effectively just 4 guys who should all be doing a similar job punting balls into one striker who’s strength isn’t really getting on the end of crosses. Is the whole point of wing backs not that they work as wingers when going forward and full backs when defending?

One final point from me tonight. Every time county had a corner today it felt like they could score and bar a couple of good blocks and saves they easily could have. Yet I can’t recall one of our set pieces giving us a clear cut chance, in fact from our corners this season I can barely recall a goal it at all? Is it the movement or quality of ball in? Same applies to all set pieces deliveries in