Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Reckon we could afford a Portsmouth second string player?

Ben Close seems pretty, erm, close, to McCann in terms of figures and is free this Summer. 24, has I think 1 start for them this season.

Depends on his contract situation I'd guess but if you work on the logic that Motherwell and Saints aren't that far apart in wages (given we're often in for the same players) then we signed Curtis Main - a Portsmouth second string player at the time. So it doesn't seem that wild a reach IMO.

Reckon we could afford a Portsmouth second string player?
Ben Close seems pretty, erm, close, to McCann in terms of figures and is free this Summer. 24, has I think 1 start for them this season.
Other one is Terry Taylor, 19yo from Wolves who's on loan at Grimsby. Scottish born but already declared for Wolves.
Wolves isn't a country.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Depends on his contract situation I'd guess but if you work on the logic that Motherwell and Saints aren't that far apart in wages (given we're often in for the same players) then we signed Curtis Main - a Portsmouth second string player at the time. So it doesn't seem that wild a reach IMO.

I was told by someone who works at a nearby club that we compete with lower end League 1/League 2 clubs in terms of wages. Portsmouth in my mind are below their level so should be spending more, but thats maybe a wrong impression I've got.

Wage caps in England this Summer are seemingly going to force more players North too.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was told by someone who works at a nearby club that we compete with lower end League 1/League 2 clubs in terms of wages. Portsmouth in my mind are below their level so should be spending more, but thats maybe a wrong impression I've got.

Wage caps in England this Summer are seemingly going to force more players North too.

My take would be that they'll have a higher ceiling in terms of what they can pay so guys like Marquis will be on a fair wedge - daft money, relatively speaking. If you're talking about squad players or reserves then they'll probably be on comparable numbers.

On top of the wage cap that's the EFL just confirmed a 'rescue package' for League 1 & 2 clubs. I can see a lot of trimming going on in those leagues come January and next summer.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On top of the wage cap that's the EFL just confirmed a 'rescue package' for League 1 & 2 clubs. I can see a lot of trimming going on in those leagues come January and next summer.

Some boy who works at Swansea reckons a lot of L1/L2 clubs will be limiting themselves to ~£3kpw for players once it comes in.

Seemingly an absolute shit tonne of players over that just now who'll be released this Summer. Your Aberdeen/Hibs will have a field day.

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

In the interest in the balance 😂😂😂

I'd question everything he claims tbh. I ordered something off the Saints site last weekend and had them by Tuesday. 

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd question everything he claims tbh. I ordered something off the Saints site last weekend and had them by Tuesday. 

I just thought it was funny. 

After seeing the really positive tweet and thinking 😁👍 i almost immediately then seen Mr Muir's tweet and thought it summed up being a Saints fan in the space of two tweets 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I ordered something from saints on the Monday and it had arrived by the Wednesday first class. I don't even live in Perth, plus I've never had any issues with the posting of stuff, I think he's at it! Any excuse to criticise the club right now.

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I guess that the Sellik posters are too preoccupied to start a thread on the weekend's biggest game then? 

New unbeaten record and yet another manager getting binned would be quite the double. Shame they won't let us watch it. 

I hope we have them at McDiarmid in a vital game this season, and refuse to PPV it.

Tears would be glorious, and you could even possibly get one of the shitehawk companies (Premier) giving you a lump sum to show it.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I hope we have them at McDiarmid in a vital game this season, and refuse to PPV it.

Tears would be glorious, and you could even possibly get one of the shitehawk companies (Premier) giving you a lump sum to show it.

Would imagine Sky’s lawyers would be all over that.

Just now, Rodhull said:

Would imagine Sky’s lawyers would be all over that.

Tbf the chances of a Celtic v St Johnstone game at McDiarmid not being on Sky is the exact opposite of a Celtic v St Johnstone game at Parkhead being shown on Sky.

On a sidenote, a stark reminder of how close we are to disaster.

United have 9 players missing tomorrow due to staff members catching Covid.

That happens to us and we're down to 11 senior players...