Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On 29/11/2020 at 19:32, RandomGuy. said:

We have players who can win headers, and don't concede many from corners, so thers 90% of your threat gone.

I've not been very convinced by our defending of set pieces at all. 

from memory straight away Motherwell's goal on Saturday... free header etc. Broadfoot & Gallagher have also missed fairly easy chances from headers from corners. We give up chances. 

On 29/11/2020 at 19:32, RandomGuy. said:

We have players who can win headers, and don't concede many from corners, so thers 90% of your threat gone.

from memory straight away Motherwell's goal on Saturday... free header etc. Broadfoot & Gallagher have also missed fairly easy chances from headers from corners. We give up chances. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Just looked.

30% of our "xG against" this season has come from corners. Sit 6th lowest in terms of the league for "xG conceded from corners".

Izzy (Izzy) Jones on Middlesbroughs bench tonight.

Will surely end up one of those impossible answers when someone does a quiz of TW signings in 5 years time.

These are interesting articles.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/revealed-most-wasteful-sides-scottish-premiership-season-and-how-faltering-celtic-measure-3055612?page=3

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-penalty-box-prowess-laid-bare-league-leading-stats-3055775

Suggests that whilst we maybe watch through our fingers at times when Liam Gordon gets the ball, we're arguably the most effective team in the league at retaining possession and not losing the ball. I say this as St Mirren have played less games and usually have a lot less of the ball than us. Given we've started to dictate teams and control play, the level of loose passes and ball losses is quite impressive.  I guess the argument might be that at times we're too safe and that's why other teams have lost the ball more often trying to play a killer pass.

I've thought that Gordon's distribution and retention has been noticeably better this season, and it looks like he's been getting in the box for set pieces and up the park more often. 

It's a position that it you don't notice them much they're doing a very good job and IMO he's having a really good season so far, as are the defence generally. 

Reckon we could afford a Portsmouth second string player?

Ben Close seems pretty, erm, close, to McCann in terms of figures and is free this Summer. 24, has I think 1 start for them this season.

Other one is Terry Taylor, 19yo from Wolves who's on loan at Grimsby. Scottish born but already declared for Wolves.