Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

After hearing from Rooneys mate on here about his thoughts, its genuinely made me smile how well he played today. He'll be delighted with himself.

Also happy MOH and Hendry contributed. You could tell both were aware how poor they'd been playing. This is bound to be a massive boost for them.

I liked how he noised up a couple of the Well' players as well. It's something we lack in the team. A bit to friendly the rest of the team 😂

Could argue if he can continue to improve defensively he's a better option as the attacking one in the back 3 due to his athletic ability. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I liked how he noised up a couple of the Well' players as well. It's something we lack in the team. A bit to friendly the rest of the team 😂

Could argue if he can continue to improve defensively he's a better option as the attacking one in the back 3 due to his athletic ability. 

He was in Tony Watts head for some reason, then O'Hara had a wee huff when Rooney just rag dolled him as the ball rolled out of play.

Just wait until crowds are back so he can troll them too...

722836084__104162055_18088447(2).jpg.381828218ceedee5164a8ee83e2bdb2d.jpg

Look what difference it makes getting in behind a team, getting to the byline and crossing from areas which are harder to defend against? Been harping on about it for weeks!!!

O'Halloran I know was the main man today in getting to the byline and generally being a threat and I also know that most of the squad don't have anywhere near the pace and strength he does but it shows the importance of not just lofting it in there from deep consistently, it's easier to defend against.

Also. We didn't miss Conway. At all. 

3 players on that list totalling 249 crosses. 14 league goals in total... 🤔

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Happy to admit I was wrong, to whoever it was I disagreed with ( @PauloPerth ?) that an out and out front two would see us be more attacking.

I've always said we look better when we play more direct football to the strikers, and have numbers in the box, and there's zero doubt that's happened against both Hibs and Motherwell. I'll double check it, but I feel like May has had more touches in the last 2 games individually than the previous couple combined.

WBs now deliver straight to the strikers feet, rather than to a winger who holds the ball up. Hopefully that's something Davidson also sees and likes.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Happy to admit I was wrong, to whoever it was I disagreed with ( @PauloPerth ?) that an out and out front two would see us be more attacking.

I've always said we look better when we play more direct football to the strikers, and have numbers in the box, and there's zero doubt that's happened against both Hibs and Motherwell. I'll double check it, but I feel like May has had more touches in the last 2 games individually than the previous couple combined.

WBs now deliver straight to the strikers feet, rather than to a winger who holds the ball up. Hopefully that's something Davidson also sees and likes.

Of course we look more dangerous with more strikers on the park, certainly rather than wingers who can't score. I'm loath to slag the boy off because he scored but Calum Hendry for large parts of that game didn't do enough for me, hopefully the goal kicks him on because he needs to. I've been critical of MOH, I think everyone has, mainly because he hasn't looked like a footballer this season and he's another who needs to step up. With the size of our squad we need everyone to be competent at their job when called upon, quite a few have fallen below that at the start of this season. I think there's a place for everyone in our first team squad at the club, even Kane, they just need to prove it.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Of course we look more dangerous with more strikers on the park, certainly rather than wingers who can't score. I'm loath to slag the boy off because he scored but Calum Hendry for large parts of that game didn't do enough for me, hopefully the goal kicks him on because he needs to. 

I thought he played alright tbf. He role was clearly to play off May and link with the right side, which I think he done well.

Also had an opportunity to sky a shot over from 30 yards but instead turned back, played the ball back, and tried to get in the box. So he's learning.

He's still only ever scored one goal that's come from more than 2 touches, the goal against Rangers. The sooner he realises that and stops pretending he can dribble his way to goal, the better. To me he's a poacher, nothing more.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

As well as two strikers, there's been a definite push to attack teams at a higher tempo which has made a big difference like you say.  I felt at times we were over passing it and allowing teams to get back and get set up all the time, whereas in the past week we've seen a few goals from us winning the ball back and playing the ball forward straight away and getting in behind teams.

I think we've also been helped by playing away from home, the challenge for us will be when we have to break down teams who are sitting in at McDiarmid like Accies, st Mirren, ross County etc.

The high press from our forward players and midfield has been excellent, though at times it leaves our defenders a bit exposed with less cover in front of them.  But as long as Scottish Premiership managers keep watching Guardiola documentaries and feel the only way to play football is lots of passes out from the back regardless of the carthorses you've got playing there, then we will continue to get a lot of success out of it.

I think Callum is showing signs he is prepared to adapt his formation and tactics depending on the opposition which is great.  Interesting to see how we set up against Celtic, unless they suddenly click we are more than capable of taking something from the game next week.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

We just need Lennon to hing in till they play us, we all know what happens next...

Sadly I doubt he'll be able to hang on after todays result.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

You'll be favourites but it won't be easy. 

We have players who can win headers, and don't concede many from corners, so thers 90% of your threat gone.