Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Oh look, a Motherwell fan telling everyone how great and successful their model is...

924bqhmcvzg51.thumb.jpg.9e5b62f067bc405ebfb38ada00071b5c.jpg

I mean, you can read it like that or you can read it as me backing up @Widge's point about the hibs.net crew being wide of the mark in saying Saints wouldn't get 7 figures for McCann because they don't get big crowds.

Suit yourself.

giphy.gif

54 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He’s really settled in well at Perth and likes all the players and the management. He just needs to try and keep his place when gets the chance. He’s realistic enough to know that he won’t be an automatic pick, and that he might end up on loan in the Jan window, just to get regular games.

FWIW I thought I was impressed last night, definitely his best performance that I've seen in a Saints shirt. From memory he was tidy when he needed to be and he seemed quick at getting up and down. Think there were a couple of poor longer passes but I was impressed. 

I don't think we have the depth of squad to loan him out TBH, I'd expect him to stay put and possibly be used in rotation. He'll surely get game time. 

He’s really settled in well at Perth and likes all the players and the management. He just needs to try and keep his place when gets the chance. He’s realistic enough to know that he won’t be an automatic pick, and that he might end up on loan in the Jan window, just to get regular games.
Wouldn't expect us to loan him out, our squad is thinner than Lidl bacon.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

No doubt that Tommy’s departure affected him more than anybody. I imagine he would definitely be our regular right-back if the management hadn’t changed hands.

And dare I say thank goodness he's not!!

Not to say that we won't improve or become a key part of the team in the same way Scott Tanser has, but right now McNamara is a far superior player.

Aye Rooney is just back up just now, but he's physically one of the best players going, and is clearly willing to work to improve.

I think he'll be given a chance to be first choice RB next season, up to him if he takes it.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

He’s really settled in well at Perth and likes all the players and the management. He just needs to try and keep his place when gets the chance. He’s realistic enough to know that he won’t be an automatic pick, and that he might end up on loan in the Jan window, just to get regular games

I don't think he'll get loaned out as the squad isn't big enough but sounds like he has a really good attitude. Lot of players could have taken the huff when the new manager signed another right back but if he keeps his head down and works hard, things usually work out pretty well for folk at Saints. 

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye Rooney is just back up just now, but he's physically one of the best players going, and is clearly willing to work to improve.

I think he'll be given a chance to be first choice RB next season, up to him if he takes it.

I think the certainty is that McNamara won't be here that's for sure and agree he'll be likely be the first choice next season unless we bring in someone in on loan as our budget will unlikely stretch to someone who's much better than Rooney. 

Particularly as there's likely to be other higher priority areas that require strengthening. 

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I come in peace, how did you guys rate Shaun Rooney’s performance last night? Go easy he’s my mate 😊

I'd say "he's getting there". Has moments where you see his strengths then other moments you see his weaknesses and think 😬😬

In his defence as well. He's yet to start a league game at right back for the club. He's not a central defender in my and many other Saints fans opinions. 

11 hours ago, The Saintee said:

FFS what matches have scouts seen Tanser in?

Coincidentally, it looks like the same website that's linking him with a big move and bigging him up is the same one he did an interview for the other day. 

Looks to me like the agent has gone "he'll do the interview if... You run this story about him after it"

My scoring system for strikers currently has May at 7.4, MOH at 1.3, and Hendry at 0.2

All time leaderboard is now...

MacLean 16/17 - 8.3

MacLean 17/18 - 7.7

May 20/21 - 7.4

May 19/20 - 6.7

Cummins 16/17 - 5.1

Kane 16/17 - 3.9

MOH 19/20 - 2.9

Kane 17/18 - 2.9

Johnstone 17/18 - 2.5

Kane 18/19 - 1.6

MOH 20/21 - 1.3

Watt 18/19 - 1.1

Kane 19/20 - 0.6

Hendry 20/21 - 0.2

10 is considered elite for this level (Boyce 16/17, Moult 16/17 score 9.9). 5 around average for a striker at this level. 0 is Craig Wighton.

System reckons MacLean and May are the only strikers worthy of a top 6 side. Cummins is a useful option, and the rest are 4th choice ST at best. Kane declining year on year.

Cut off to 800 mins so Hendry last season doesn't make it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Found Craigs comments in the Courier today interesting...

Screenshot_20201128-092702_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df25a235c5f1ebf82823eed848719b3f.jpg

... was worried early on CD was going to try and force the 5-2-3 on the players, they wouldn't like it or improve in it, and it would all be a disaster. Sounds, and tbf looks, like they've all been coached into understanding it/their roles, really quickly.

After hearing from Rooneys mate on here about his thoughts, its genuinely made me smile how well he played today. He'll be delighted with himself.

Also happy MOH and Hendry contributed. You could tell both were aware how poor they'd been playing. This is bound to be a massive boost for them.