Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On 23/11/2020 at 21:12, RandomGuy. said:

@Widge

McCowan2.thumb.png.8e126b8264eb5193fba3693c391796b1.png

All figures per90, plotted against MOH and Conway over the past calender year (inner limits/outer limits set to min/max figures from the 3 for each set).

22yo, turns 23 in December, free in the Summer. Won't lie, not seen a huge amount of him, but you could ask about him on this site...

Reveal hidden contents

McCowan.thumb.png.68705aa1e4745b11a040d3d4038ca4b6.png

Thats him if you add Wotherspoon into the mix, difference between the two radar hopefully highlights quite how good Wotherspoon is. Dribbles changed from overall, to successful, between the two radars, FWIW.

Far out !

47 minutes ago, Widge said:

Ventured into the Hibs forum cause I was bored this morning and stumbled across a thread on Ali McCann.

Highlight of such thread being that he's not worth 7 figures and that saints would bite the hand off for £250k. He's also apparently not up to very much and isn't going to make it at a high level, so much so he's a worse player than Greg Docherty. I'm sure Ali at the age of 20 with his 2 international caps already will be dreadfully upset Hibs fans don't rate him.

Either way I know all to well most folk on forums are idiots and it's more a place for ridicule, but it amused me. 

I couldn't help myself and went and had a look.

Enjoyed this:

They will get nowhere near a million for him.

Transfer fees for Scottish clubs almost appear directly proportional to crowd size.

Rangers and Celtic get more than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen who in turn get more than say Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Killie.

Motherwell's recent cash sales:
Turnbull > Celtic = £3m
Scott > Hull = £1.5m
McAlear > Norwich = £250k
McKinstry > Leeds = £400k
Kipré > Wigan = £1m
Moult > Preston = £500k

Hibs recent cash sales:
Horgan > Wycombe = £50k
Jackson > Lincoln = "undisclosed"
Kamberi > St Gallen = £150k
Shaw > Ross County = "undisclosed"
McGinn > Villa = £2.75m

Rangers and Celtic get more than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen who in turn get more than say Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Killie.

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Enjoyed this:

Turnbull > Celtic = £3m
Scott > Hull = £1.5m
Kipré > Wigan = £1m
Moult > Preston = £500k

Hibs recent cash sales:
Horgan > Wycombe = £50k
McGinn > Villa = £2.75m

giphy.gif

Motherwell must be minted. Over how many years is that?

As far as I can recall, the only players we’ve received fees for in the past 6 years are:

Stevie May £800k

Michael O’Halloran £400k

Matt Kennedy £70k

That’s  £1.27m v Motherwell’s £6.65m. It’s incredible that we’ve still outperformed them over that period. Motherwell should be beating us comfortably on Saturday with that gulf in resources, otherwise surely questions need to be asked about Robinson’s future...

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Enjoyed this:

Turnbull > Celtic = £3m
Scott > Hull = £1.5m
Kipré > Wigan = £1m
Moult > Preston = £500k

Hibs recent cash sales:
Horgan > Wycombe = £50k
McGinn > Villa = £2.75m

giphy.gif

Tbf to them, that's probably how it should come to pass.

It just so happens that all 3 of the aforementioned big clubs have invested in plenty of SPFL players with absolutely no resale value whereas Motherwell have been very savvy.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I come in peace, how did you guys rate Shaun Rooney’s performance last night? Go easy he’s my mate 😊

He did okay.  Difficult coming into the team when you’re not playing regularly against a decent side like Hibs, especially when you’re not on you’re favoured position.

Didn’t think he did too much wrong personally. If I’m honest, I see him as more of a squad player than a starter so far, but that can change with injuries/ suspensions/ covids. 

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

As far as I can recall, the only players we’ve received fees for in the past 6 years are:

Stevie May £800k

Michael O’Halloran £400k

Matt Kennedy £70k

That’s  £1.27m v Motherwell’s £6.65m. It’s incredible that we’ve still outperformed them over that period. Motherwell should be beating us comfortably on Saturday with that gulf in resources, otherwise surely questions need to be asked about Robinson’s future...

I did a list (with massive caveats) of our transfer income since Hutchison took over in 2015 and our subsequent shift to fan ownership over on our thread a while back. Make of that what you will, bear in mind that Boyle and Hutchison were paid back their debts from %s of some sales.

The Scott sale cleared the external debt: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/02/10/motherwell-settle-outstanding-debt/

On 28/08/2020 at 19:40, capt_oats said:

@well fan for life referenced this in the match thread earlier but I thought I'd stick the post in here because it's more to do with 'A Thread For All Seasons' than it is a routine Celtic win...

I'd posted a running total of REPORTED fees we've brought in since Hutchison took over and the subsequent shift to fan ownership here just after the Scott transfer at the end of January so with the 'club record' fee for Turnbull that bumps the player trading revenue up further.

I'm not an accountant and I'm not doing a fucking audit so any of the joyless "no chance did we get X for that guy" c***s can do one...yes, some are probably contingent on add ons being activated and all that but I've lifted the reported fees from a quick Google and in the case of Pearson, Johnson, Heneghan and Bowman a rough guess based on the numbers that appeared in the accounts.

20/21 - David Turnbull (Celtic) - £3m - Transfer
19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) £350k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish including sell on - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

Total = £8.94m

Kyle Semple also moved to Rangers and for 'a five figure fee' but I've left that one off as I don't think I've seen that number anywhere else beyond Reddit and The Twitter. There's also the ongoing Cadden dispute as well I guess.

The first sale under Robinson was Heneghan - so during his tenure the club has brought in a reported £7.38m through player trading.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I did a list (with massive caveats) of our outgoings since Hutchison took over in 2015 and our subsequent shift to fan ownership over on our thread a while back. Make of that what you will, bear in mind that Boyle and Hutchison were paid back their debts from %s of some sales.

The Scott sale cleared the external debt: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/02/10/motherwell-settle-outstanding-debt/

So £8.94m in transfer sales v our £1.27m over the same period. That’s a huge gap for clubs of our size. 

If Motherwell keep that conveyer belt going you wonder if they can kick on a bit. Imagine a lot of clubs see Well as the template to copy.

Remember a few years ago Hibs sold the likes of Gary O’Connor, Kevin Thomson, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker and a few others and with the income could pay for their new training ground and part of stadium redevelopment.

When you look at how hard it is to generate decent money for Scottish football clubs, selling home grown players for millions of pounds really is the golden ticket.

25 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Stevie May £800k

Michael O’Halloran £400k

Matt Kennedy £70k

and two , at least , return to yourselves

You just lease them out

Edited by ewan14

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He did okay.  Difficult coming into the team when you’re not playing regularly against a decent side like Hibs, especially when you’re not on you’re favoured position.

Didn’t think he did too much wrong personally. If I’m honest, I see him as more of a squad player than a starter so far, but that can change with injuries/ suspensions/ covids. 

He’s really settled in well at Perth and likes all the players and the management. He just needs to try and keep his place when gets the chance. He’s realistic enough to know that he won’t be an automatic pick, and that he might end up on loan in the Jan window, just to get regular games.

Edited by glenburn bud

27 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Stevie May £800k

Michael O’Halloran £400k

Matt Kennedy £70k

Just wait until Celtic sign Jason Kerr in the coming transfer window

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

So £8.94m in transfer sales v our £1.27m over the same period. That’s a huge gap for clubs of our size. 

If Motherwell keep that conveyer belt going you wonder if they can kick on a bit. Imagine a lot of clubs see Well as the template to copy.

Remember a few years ago Hibs sold the likes of Gary O’Connor, Kevin Thomson, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker and a few others and with the income could pay for their new training ground and part of stadium redevelopment.

When you look at how hard it is to generate decent money for Scottish football clubs, selling home grown players for millions of pounds really is the golden ticket.

Funnily enough this is pretty much what the discussion post-Turnbull seemed to centre on.

The money we receive for David will allow us in part to build up the strategic reserve, which helps secure and sustain us through such difficult and uncertain times. But this is also an opportunity to invest in the infrastructure, for example our training ground, academy and other facilities, with a view to providing an even-better environment for player development.

Link

“We develop players. It’s the only way the club can survive. We have all bought into that, we are a development club.

“We got a huge fee for David, which is fantastic for the club, and we are into another round in Europe, so now we need to build on that.

“I’m not expecting any more in my budget. What I want is the infrastructure of the football club, I want the training ground sorted out.

“I think the club will back that completely because we do develop players. Having a better environment to do that has to be the goal.”

“The board run this football club prudently and they are very, very good at what they do. Jim McMahon is an excellent chairman and he will make sure the club is right first and foremost. No money will be blown.

“We only get 4,000 fans, so it’s not sustainable to invest in the playing budget continually.

“What you have to do is put the infrastructure in place for the future, keep trying to defy the odds and finish higher up the league when you’re losing payers every year. That’s what we will try to do.”

Link