Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

McCann really will be Scotland's loss. Won't have been one saints fan who doubted he'd take his chance if given it. Never seems fazed.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

McCann produced everything you'd imagine he would. 

An old head on young shoulders. From early on last season he just looked like one of those class players that always seems to buy himself time in the ball.

First touch and passing so consistent. Rarely spectacular, keeps the game simple; one of those players that are incredibly reliable that manager’s love.

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

What is the going rate for an international midfielder that is still only 20?

I'll start you off at £3 million plus extras. 

I agree he's worth that in the current market. The recent benchmark is Turnbull at Celtic for £3-£4 million, who, having seen live 5 times or so, I have to confess to never being overly impressed with.  Certainly well below McCann's consistent level throughout matches, though Turnbull probably has more spectacular highlights.

I'd still be majorly surprised if we got over 3million for him though, don't know what it is but I often think our better young players are undervalued in comparison to those from the likes of Motherwell, Accies and Dundee United who maybe have that more established reputation for bringing them through.

For me personally, I'd love to see McCann go to play abroad when he does eventually move on, and hopefully now playing on the international stage will help that.  I feel his style of play, and the fact that he's a sensible young lad who will listen and improve from being around better players, makes him ideal for that kind of move.  I wouldn't want to see him just get swallowed up playing English championship, and would be a bit gutted if he took the obvious move to either of the OF.

36 minutes ago, ropy said:

Loan him to Motherwell for that shop window effect, where does he play?

He'll be the wee blond lad in centre midfield dancing around your journeymen workhorses this Saturday.

Though he may be rested following his meteoric rise to the top of international football this past week.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I agree he's worth that in the current market. The recent benchmark is Turnbull at Celtic for £3-£4 million, who, having seen live 5 times or so, I have to confess to never being overly impressed with.  Certainly well below McCann's consistent level throughout matches, though Turnbull probably has more spectacular highlights.

I'd still be majorly surprised if we got over 3million for him though, don't know what it is but I often think our better young players are undervalued in comparison to those from the likes of Motherwell, Accies and Dundee United who maybe have that more established reputation for bringing them through.

For me personally, I'd love to see McCann go to play abroad when he does eventually move on, and hopefully now playing on the international stage will help that.  I feel his style of play, and the fact that he's a sensible young lad who will listen and improve from being around better players, makes him ideal for that kind of move.  I wouldn't want to see him just get swallowed up playing English championship, and would be a bit gutted if he took the obvious move to either of the OF.

McCann comes out as one the most efficient defensive midfielders in Europe, under 21.

More "successful defensive actions" than the likes of Declan Rice and Ryan Gravenberch, who are both linked with £60m moves regularly.

I'm not saying hes anywhere near their level, but I'd be disappointed if the club wasn't able to break our transfer record with him. Hes so smart, and well rounded, that the next club who get him could literally mould him into any type of player and he'd excel.

13 hours ago, Radford said:

Outside of major championships, these last couple of NI games probably the first full international matches I've watched in a long time. I thought they looked a decent side too. Must be hard for Baraclough following O'Neill and wonder if TW and Stephen Robinson will find they've actually dodged a bullet. 

Robinson will likely get another shot at it, TW maybe not. 

Robinson did an interview (maybe with SSN) after he'd spoken to the IFA and Baraclough was about to be announced, the gist was that while managing his country was still an ambition of his "now isn't really the time for him to move into international football" or words to that effect.

On first listen it was a bit "didn't really fancy her anyway" but I think there was probably a fair bit about his position that realised that whoever replaced O'Neill would be on a hiding to nothing - at the same time he needed to interview to register his interest and not look like he was swerving them.

Coincidentally, in a quirk of timing Baraclough's contract with NI expires at the same time as Robinson's deal with Motherwell.

Spoiler

Actually, here are his quotes from that Sky interview printed in the Belfast Telegraph.

"I think everybody understood that you go and speak to your country, it wasn't for me at this stage, they appointed Ian and I wish him the very best of luck," Robinson told Sky Sports.

"Club football is for me at this moment in time," he explained.

"Hopefully I've got too much energy to only have five or six games a year! I said all along it's something you aspire to at some stage in your career.

"I think out of courtesy I spoke to Northern Ireland, they spoke to me, I'm fully committed to Motherwell and I'm happy with where we are.

"But it's something you have to explore out of respect to your country and it was all done with Motherwell's blessing and everybody conducted themselves properly."

Edited by capt_oats

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

McCann comes out as one the most efficient defensive midfielders in Europe, under 21.

More "successful defensive actions" than the likes of Declan Rice and Ryan Gravenberch, who are both linked with £60m moves regularly.

I'm not saying hes anywhere near their level, but I'd be disappointed if the club wasn't able to break our transfer record with him. Hes so smart, and well rounded, that the next club who get him could literally mould him into any type of player and he'd excel.

Yes it should break that, but it's only about £1.8m that Davidson went to Blackburn for.

The right add ons for a future sale will possibly make us more money than what we get for him initially.