Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I thought he tired as the game wore on but was really good. Knew his role, won his tackles, made his passes. As Stephen Craigan said in commentary, they gained a player last night. 

A 20-year-old playing full international football, there must be clubs looking at him come January or next summer. 

On 15/11/2020 at 19:27, Radford said:

Yeah, in terms of going deep into the competition, our chances are enhanced if we give outrselves the best shot at beating United. But it's a long season with a small squad. 

Avoiding the Old Firm absolutely key and we've done that. We'll think we could have had an easier tie but so will Motherwell. 

Remember you are playing two fifths of Scotland's defence

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

RG meets everyone else on this site.

6020476_source(5).gif.13ee326768d990fb0784de71986b89ae.gif

I actually admire your dedication. I’m not big on the stats side of things but I’m not going to have a go at you for it.  Well not a serious go.

Edited by Bose

27 minutes ago, Bose said:

I actually admire your dedication. I’m not big on the stats side of things but I’m not going to have a go at you for it.  Well not a serious go.

Ach I wouldn't worry, the actual "professional" analysts on Twitter are worse than anyone for criticising folk like me who are just starting out tbh. If you don't create a brand new way of judging the game, perfect it, and visualise it, within a few months of starting out then you're classed as a pointless and in it purely for followers.

Think I've started to build a model that could predict how strikers will perform for us.

Rewound to the Summer May signed, using things from seasons previous to that, and was able to get fairly close in terms of predicted figures v actual figures. Successfully calculated it would be his best season for years too.

Screenshot_20201117-140127_Office.jpg.bd461b4db0129e89ce642db74c963bec.jpg

Bold are predictions, one with the background colours are what he actually achieved, and the total is how much better he was that the prediction (15.9% better).

Going to try it on a rake of different players now, and see if I can find a way to predict players likely to underperform their predicted figures.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think I've started to build a model that could predict how strikers will perform for us.

Rewound to the Summer May signed, using things from seasons previous to that, and was able to get fairly close in terms of predicted figures v actual figures. Successfully calculated it would be his best season for years too.

Screenshot_20201117-140127_Office.jpg.bd461b4db0129e89ce642db74c963bec.jpg

Bold are predictions, one with the background colours are what he actually achieved, and the total is how much better he was that the prediction (15.9% better).

Going to try it on a rake of different players now, and see if I can find a way to predict players likely to underperform their predicted figures.

Good luck pal, I can't wait to see the results.

Wee Ali in from the start again tonight for N.I. Dare I say it’ll be a similar situation to saints, now he’s in the team, he’ll simply keep improving and become undroppable. Given he’s only 20, not exactly injury prone, he could end up at 30/40 caps by the time he’s 25!

I'd be disappointed if he isn't in the next few squads after the way he's showed up and don't disagree that if he got the chance, he'd kick on but I think more realistically, just taking opportunities like tonight is what he has to aspire to. 

If Davis hangs around then you add in Corry Evans, McNair, Saville and even Jordan Thompson, then there is tough competition there. 

Kennedy doing pretty well too. 

I'd be disappointed if he isn't in the next few squads after the way he's showed up and don't disagree that if he got the chance, he'd kick on but I think more realistically, just taking opportunities like tonight is what he has to aspire to. 
If Davis hangs around then you add in Corry Evans, McNair, Saville and even Jordan Thompson, then there is tough competition there. 
Kennedy doing pretty well too. 

I’ve watched this game and McCann has been far and away their best midfielder. McNair is a centreback at club level, Evans is injury prone as hell, Davis is being phased out. Saville and Thompson are decent players, but I get the impression that McCann is being built into the squad for the foreseeable due to his energy and ability to press. Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets MotM tonight off Craigan given how the commentary team are praising him.

He'll be a dream for the manager because he'll carry out any instructions or role given to him. 

Maybe come March, he'll be playing at the same level as his peers and that'll give him a real opportunity to do as you say and nail down a place.

Baraclough having the opposite of the Midas touch with his subs these last couple of games! 

Did McCann get motm?  The camera went on him after the final whistle, but my stream had foreign commentary soon idea what was being said.

Nah not been announced yet, if Craigan gets to chose he will be though, waxing lyrically all match again.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

Nah not been announced yet, if Craigan gets to chose he will be though, waxing lyrically all match again.

Good to hear cheers.

Makes you proud from a Saints point of view, but also having a well known commentator on Scottish football praising him can only be positive in terms of raising his profile and value.

Watched portions of both their games, N Ireland actually look not a bad team from what I saw; threw both matches away a bit late on.

McCann could really stand out and get a lot of confidence playing against teams in the third tier of the Nations League.

Outside of major championships, these last couple of NI games probably the first full international matches I've watched in a long time. I thought they looked a decent side too. Must be hard for Baraclough following O'Neill and wonder if TW and Stephen Robinson will find they've actually dodged a bullet. 

Robinson will likely get another shot at it, TW maybe not. 

McCann produced everything you'd imagine he would.