Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

28 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Jason Kerr is not international class imo.

As good as he is for Saints I wouldn't have him in my Scotland team.

Jesus Christ Tam, you're becoming the most downbeat saints fan on here and that's saying something! Everything alright?

33 minutes ago, Widge said:

Jesus Christ Tam, you're becoming the most downbeat saints fan on here and that's saying something! Everything alright?

Probably just old age finally catching up on him.

Pensioners will be finding this winter tough i bet.

3 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

So ... Jason Kerr at the Euros then anyone?

A million miles away. I can think of countless names even from the list of players who didnt play last that that would be called up ahead of him. Realistically he's 14-15 choice minimum. 

Porteous

Stuart Findlay

Grant Hanley

McCrorie

Devlin

Hanlon

Considine

Cooper

Reynolds

Mckenna

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

40 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

A million miles away. I can think of countless names even from the list of players who didnt play last that that would be called up ahead of him. Realistically he's 14-15 choice minimum. 

Porteous

Stuart Findlay

Grant Hanley

McCrorie

Devlin

Hanlon

Considine

Cooper

Reynolds

Mckenna

Leaving aside the Kerr question, I still find it baffling that Ryan Porteous gets a call up for the national team. 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

I know you want a bite so, aye I'm the most downbeat c**t on here Widge, gid ane.

Kane and Hendry are pish, Kerr and Clark are nowhere near good enough to play for Scotland. Unlike some I like Conway, f**k knows why tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably just old age finally catching up on him.

Pensioners will be finding this winter tough i bet.

That's really really bad patter, even by your standards.

I don't think we do ourselves any favours with the touting of players but equally, ranking Jason Kerr behind some of those names above? Christ. I would take three of them absolute maximum at Saints ahead of our captain. 

There has to be a balance between pushing players for recognition and completely selling them short.

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

I don't think we do ourselves any favours with the touting of players but equally, ranking Jason Kerr behind some of those names above? Christ. I would take three of them absolute maximum at Saints ahead of our captain. 

There has to be a balance between pushing players for recognition and completely selling them short

No one is ranking anyone.

Just pointing out all of those names would be called up ahead of Kerr whether Saints fans like it or not. That's the reality. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

No one is ranking anyone.

Just pointing out all of those names would be called up ahead of Kerr whether Saints fans like it or not. That's the reality. 

Got you now. I thought you were suggesting they would rightly be called up ahead of him. 

He won't get called up playing for Saints is clearly your point and I agree with that. 

I’d gotten the wrong end of the stick there as well VB. Of your list I’d take Cooper, McKenna and Hanley for CB. McCrorie is a good player but a midfielder first and foremost. The rest are not better than Kerr. Porteous is a disaster zone and I can’t believe how often he’s been called up. Even Declan Gallacher has been well off form in the league until the last week or two-though you can’t argue with his Scotland performances.

Kerr will leave us next summer and probably get a call up by this time next year.

39 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hanley.

Pardon?

As an actual attacking CB on the right of a back 3, I wouldn't take a single Scottish CB ahead of Kerr. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pardon?

As an actual attacking CB on the right of a back 3, I wouldn't take a single Scottish CB ahead of Kerr. 

You heard me. He’s only 28, and has 250+ appearances at Championship/EPL level and 30 Scotland caps. That’s not an accident. He’s not an incredible player by any stretch but he’d be excellent at Scottish Premiership level.

Beside Kerr obvs, not replacing him. For what it’s worth, from that list I’d definitely say Kerr is the best ball player out of them by a comfortable margin.

Porteous
Stuart Findlay
Grant Hanley
McCrorie
Devlin
Hanlon
Considine
Cooper
Reynolds
Mckenna

If this is our list of CB’s to consider for the summer, would any of those deputise for McTom in the ball playing defender role as well as Kerr would? Most are better defenders but carthorses on the ball. Worth asking the Q imo, however unlikely it is/you all feel it is. Completely off the top of my head but isn’t the squad for Euros and tournaments bigger than it is for a normal international break squad too?

Also think some of you are ignoring the fact it’s November and there’s a lot of time before we get to squad picking season - if we push up the table and Kerr is involved in that I imagine Clark will start looking at him and maybe Stevie May too...

(Of course what will actually happen is Zander ends up there as the worst 4th choice keeper in the tournament)

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’d gotten the wrong end of the stick there as well VB. Of your list I’d take Cooper, McKenna and Hanley for CB. McCrorie is a good player but a midfielder first and foremost. The rest are not better than Kerr. Porteous is a disaster zone and I can’t believe how often he’s been called up. Even Declan Gallacher has been well off form in the league until the last week or two-though you can’t argue with his Scotland performances.

Kerr will leave us next summer and probably get a call up by this time next year.

Not my list Jamie ...

Agree with Cooper, and McCrorie is a cracking player and similar to Kerr in some ways. Either don't rate the others above Kerr or haven't seen them play enough to offer a view. 

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

If this is our list of CB’s to consider for the summer, would any of those deputise for McTom in the ball playing defender role as well as Kerr would? Most are better defenders but carthorses on the ball. Worth asking the Q imo, however unlikely it is/you all feel it is. Completely off the top of my head but isn’t the squad for Euros and tournaments bigger than it is for a normal international break squad too?

Also think some of you are ignoring the fact it’s November and there’s a lot of time before we get to squad picking season - if we push up the table and Kerr is involved in that I imagine Clark will start looking at him and maybe Stevie May too...

(Of course what will actually happen is Zander ends up there as the worst 4th choice keeper in the tournament)

I'm sure it's 23 players to be named in an international tournament squad, generally just the 3 keepers.  So you're basically talking about 2 players for every position, with 1 extra keeper on top of that.  Unusually, we seem to be far better catered for in the left centre back position compared to the right at international level which works slightly in Kerr's favour.

I generally think of our players as being a long way from international standard, but the only measure should be against defenders in the Scotland squad, not in relation to the perception of 'international standard', and in that respect I think Kerr definitely merits consideration when the players from Motherwell, Andy Considine, Porteous and Hanlon etc are getting into squads.

He needs to produce against the big teams this season; he did look good against Celtic at McD. But he is also unfortunate in that whenever we played against Clarke's killie we were shite, and Kerr had a couple of poor games including a howler where's he got sent off.

I agree with the point made that if he ever does get a chance at international level it will be after he has moved on from Saints sadly.

RG ranking v2.0 in the works. Only done strikers so far.

Since 17/18...

Hendry 19/20 - 8.6

MacLean 17/18 - 7.7

May 19/20 - 7.1

Kane 17/18 - 5.9

Johnstone 17/18 - 5.4

Kane 18/19 - 5.2

Watt 18/19 - 4.6

Kane 19/20 - 4

So far this season May is 7, MOH 4.4, and Hendry 3.