Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Is there also the potential factor that teams will certainly have identified Clark's fairly obvious weakness in getting down to low shots and attempted to exploit that?

In my mind the majority of the saves he made during his best form that stick out we're ones at a height that suited him and avoided that weakness.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Zander had that spell 2 years ago when he got the 6 clean sheets in a row record where he was outstanding.  Some of his saves from 2:21 in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TlRa1nK6UwE

I agree with Jamie, he hasn't had too many howlers so far this season, but neither has he pulled off too many of those matchwinning saves like in the clips above.  I did think he had a couple of good saves at Hamilton, but as has been mentioned you no longer feel the confidence that we're going to rack up clean sheets.  It might come if we get one or two and the belief comes back.

I don't think he's near as bad as is being made out though.  I can't think of many keepers in the league I'd be desperate for us to sign ahead of him outwith McGregor and Lewis.  I think across the board this is probably as low a standard of goalkeeper in the Scottish top league as I can remember, happy to be corrected..

I hate to kick a man when he's down, but having watched some of Dundee's game on Friday night, their keeper is a benchmark for how bad things could be.

Another excellent Eric Nicholson article in The Courier today analysing Murray Davidson's new role in the team. Key points to highlight were -

• Only 3 touches in the attacking half all game on Saturday
  • He basically played alongside Liam Gordon for the match, offering protection and allowing the other centrebacks to push forward
  • His dual success rate was over 70% and only really bettered by Liam Gordon as well
  • The days of him going box to box are almost certainly over
  • It allows Ali McCann/Craig Bryson to push forward and act as the link player to the forwards. 

All of this makes perfect sense to me, whilst incredibly fit and robust, getting back to prevent counters has never been Murray's strong point, often he picks up cards from lunging in from the side on the stretch as he doesn't have the raw pace to get back quickly. He's also never been a natural finisher, in fact I can think of very few of his goals which he has caught cleanly or with good technique, rather they're headers, close range finishes or sclaffs. Not that this is a bad thing, but I'd rather have McCann/Bryson in he box shooting, as they've got better technique (we'll ignore Bryson's miss vs Brechin for now). 

By sticking so close to the central centreback it almost blocks the striker from things like goal kicks, as Davidson can shield the striker and Gordon or who ever can simply focus on attacking the ball, which I think saw us launch a few counter attacks on Saturday. Murray's game has always been a case of keeping it simple, win the ball, be combative, play it short and to players with better vision or range of passing. At the start of the season I'd have said that we were missing his aerial ability in an attacking sense given the number of crosses we were putting in; however in recent weeks we've changed that style slightly and from what I can see are now looking for counters, quicker build up around the box and trying to get it in the 6 yard box with pace and low. Given his ability in the tackle then it makes perfect sense to sit him further back and cover the defenders as best he can.

Maybe others will agree, but he's better at winning the ball back than McCann in a defensive sense and he's better in the air and physically than Liam Craig, so to me he's now a first choice defensive minded midfielder. In doing so I'd hope it'll allow McCann to go box to box and we might see similar sort of play from him which lead to goals such as vs Aberdeen and Hearts last season and I think given where he was when he assisted Wotherspoon on Saturday this maybe backs this up. He fell out the game when he took a heavy knock, but for the benefit of the team and in the long run, moving Davidson back and swapping him and McCann's roles will only be a good thing. 

2 hours ago, Widge said:

In doing so I'd hope it'll allow McCann to go box to box.

Not the main reason, but one of the reasons, I decided to start making pass maps for each game.

McCann v United, beside Craig...

Screenshot_20201022-143702_Chrome.jpg.e4eccc2942f6d269c14432bb93111219.jpg

McCann v Hamilton, beside Davidson...

Screenshot_20201022-143721_Chrome.jpg.444c73f0e39ae263be409569b1a59c38.jpg

Obviously caveats about different opponents/players understanding the system better, but definitely feels like McCann has more freedom beside Davidson.

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Seems fairly reasonable value for money now...

Dundee paid more for Jack Hamilton than we paid for Mackay, Craig and Davidson combined....

Hello fellow St. Johnstone fans,

I've been selected as a wild card contender for a songwriter competition. It's a worldwide contest with loads of entrants and a lovely cash prize amongst many other good things (I've been made redundant recently, so take pity on me). Basically, the top three wildcards will earn a place in the semi-finals. Voting is open NOW and closes on Tuesday at 5pm. If any of you would be so kind as to vote for me ('Ollie Wale - City Lights), I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you.

You can vote via the link here: https://www.andrsonuploaded.com/vote-1

I've been selected as a wild card contender for a songwriter competition. It's a worldwide contest with loads of entrants and a lovely cash prize amongst many other good things (I've been made redundant recently, so take pity on me). Basically, the top three wildcards will earn a place in the semi-finals. Voting is open NOW and closes on Tuesday at 5pm. If any of you would be so kind as to vote for me ('Ollie Wale - City Lights), I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you.

I voted. Clara Belle, right?

Overall

1. McCann
  2. May
  3. Hendry
  4. Wotherspoon
  5. Kerr

Per90

1. Hendry
  2. Wotherspoon
  3. May
  4. McCann
  5. MOH

I know most, if not all, don't care, but pretty chuffed with my rating system, to try and figure out whos contributing and who's not. Thats for last season. Surprised O'Halloran was so high p90, but he outperformed his xG, only Hendry had a better (shot/shots on target) ratio, he won a surprising amount of defensive duels, and of course crushed it as a dribbler.

In terms of the P90 ratings, Drey Wright was our least effective player last season...

This season I've got...

Overall

1. May
  2. Wotherspoon
  3. Conway
  4. MOH
  5. McNamara

Per90

1. May
  2. MOH
  3. Wotherspoon
  4. Conway
  5. Craig

MOH same as above really, stats seem to love him. Kerr the obvious missing player, but hes 6th just behind Craig and not far off the top 5 overall too. Again his missed opportunities to score harm him.

Really too early to be fair this season though as players haven't played enough so I'm getting some weird maths.

Weighted more towards attackers now, but just slightly. Initially it was the other way, and this time last week I couldn't get away from Ralston/McCart dominating 19/20 and 20/21 rankings.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Overall
  1. McCann
  2. May
  3. Hendry
  4. Wotherspoon
  5. Kerr
Per90
  1. Hendry
  2. Wotherspoon
  3. May
  4. McCann
  5. MOH
I know most, if not all, don't care, but pretty chuffed with my rating system, to try and figure out whos contributing and who's not. Thats for last season. Surprised O'Halloran was so high p90, but he outperformed his xG, only Hendry had a better (shot/shots on target) ratio, he won a surprising amount of defensive duels, and of course crushed it as a dribbler.
In terms of the P90 ratings, Drey Wright was our least effective player last season...
This season I've got...
Overall
  1. May
  2. Wotherspoon
  3. Conway
  4. MOH
  5. McNamara
Per90
  1. May
  2. MOH
  3. Wotherspoon
  4. Conway
  5. Craig
MOH same as above really, stats seem to love him. Kerr the obvious missing player, but hes 6th just behind Craig and not far off the top 5 overall too. Again his missed opportunities to score harm him.
Really too early to be fair this season though as players haven't played enough so I'm getting some weird maths.
Weighted more towards attackers now, but just slightly. Initially it was the other way, and this time last week I couldn't get away from Ralston/McCart dominating 19/20 and 20/21 rankings.
I'm off to listen to the wee man's song again.

9 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

^Just posting so he can get a Last Minute Winner Slot on AVFTT imo

Nah fair play mate. Best of luck.

7 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I'm off to listen to the wee man's song again.

Honestly, Marly, if you have criticisms of the placings etc., I'd be happy enough to hear them, same if you ever see any other of my sad shite that gets posted here and think its abysmal.

Its all a work in progress so I'd rather be told I'm headed down the wrong path sometimes tbh.

Honestly, Marly, if you have criticisms of the placings etc., I'd be happy enough to hear them, same if you ever see any other of my sad shite that gets posted here and think its abysmal.
Its all a work in progress so I'd rather be told I'm headed down the wrong path sometimes tbh.
Lighten up.

17 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I'm having a mare, could be an age thing. I've bought a season ticket, is there a dedicated link to watch the home games on ie. a separate portal to sign in?

Or is it just the normal saints tv sign in page?

Normal page:

Your login details, as mentioned in the FAQs will be FIRSTNAME-SURNAME-BARCODE. For example, John-Smith-12345678.

Your password will be your unique Season Ticket barcode.

26 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I'm having a mare, could be an age thing. I've bought a season ticket, is there a dedicated link to watch the home games on ie. a separate portal to sign in?

Or is it just the normal saints tv sign in page?

You're the "VST login" link.

11 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Didn't listen to the song, I'll wait till your voice breaks and then I'll check out your new work.

Still voted for you pal.

Normal page:

Your login details, as mentioned in the FAQs will be FIRSTNAME-SURNAME-BARCODE. For example, John-Smith-12345678.

Your password will be your unique Season Ticket barcode.

Cheers, that's the bit I was looking for in my emails but Gmail is pish for searching folders.