Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'm triple checking it just now, but aye, most folk probably won't care [emoji23]

Wait is that an aye cause I’m correct or an aye that most people won’t care. [emoji23]

Didn't mean to leave it this long, but its just that May is now scoring at a better rate (goals per 90/minutes per goal), and also having a better goal involvement (goals + assists per90/minutes per goal or assist), than in 2013/14.

1000 minutes is the benchmark figure to start judging players, and below that you could have form variance. 1000 minutes generally gives you a clear picture. May is over 1100 mins now.

So aye, I'm saying it. May is performing better in 2020 than in 13/14, and its time everyone (including the manager) stops weighing him down with comparisons to the 13/14 version of him.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I dont think 13/14 May cuts that ball back to Conway today.

Didn't mean to leave it this long, but its just that May is now scoring at a better rate (goals per 90/minutes per goal), and also having a better goal involvement (goals + assists per90/minutes per goal or assist), than in 2013/14.
1000 minutes is the benchmark figure to start judging players, and below that you could have form variance. 1000 minutes generally gives you a clear picture. May is over 1100 mins now.
So aye, I'm saying it. May is performing better in 2020 than in 13/14, and its time everyone (including the manager) stops weighing him down with comparisons to the 13/14 version of him.

Ah, so that's you.

Keep up the good work BTW.

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

But that's a good thing, surely?

Depends.

He clearly was able to read the situation and see Conway in a position where it was almost a guaranteed goal. 

Is that better than if hes just head down and blasting it at goal, even if he scores?

Long term, one is better than the other, IMO.

A superb attacking performance today, and a great result.  We must be right up there amongst the most creative teams in the league. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if our total shots at goal figure for the season is right up there compared to the rest of the league, and possibly not even far behind the old firm's.

I'd happily see us become a team that wins 4-2, 5-3 etc every week, but lets be honest that's not going to happen.  Radford alluded to it in the match thread, our defending was dreadful for the 3 Accies goals, and we would have been close to throwing the points away if we'd  lost a goal just after half time before we got the fourth.

In 13 competitive matches, only St Mirren and Brechin have failed to score against us.  I get that neither keeper has been on top form, but our defenders are gifting a fair few goals as well through sloppiness.  Individually I'm really happy with all three of our centre backs, but there's something wrong when we are giving away so many soft goals.

We have the makings of a very good side, but an inability to defend and see out matches will cost us points.  That really should have been a comfortable 5-0 or 5-1 today.

Probably sounds harsh after an enjoyable game and great 3 points, I know.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

A superb attacking performance today, and a great result.  We must be right up there amongst the most creative teams in the league. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if our total shots at goal figure for the season is right up there compared to the rest of the league, and possibly not even far behind the old firm's.

WyScout had us 3rd in that category, before todays games are added. 56 behind Celtic in 2nd, and 11 clear of Motherwell in 4th.

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I guess that means we must be bottom of the 'chances converted' stats does it? 

Apologies, those figures I posted above include todays games, didn't realise the site updated this quickly. Individual match stats still not up.

In terms of how many shots it takes to score, we now sit 9th (11.89 shots per goal).

Dundee United (13), St Mirren (13.3), and Motherwell (13.7) below us.

Ross County in 8th at 11.43, then a jump to Aberdeen at 8.4.

xG figures won't update until individual match reports are up, but we were lowest in terms of xG per shot, and xG-Goals difference before today.

1. Wotherspoon
  2. Ralston
  3. McCann
  4. McCart
  5. Hendry

Thats my attempt at ranking last seasons top 5 players, by impact over the full season, based purely on numbers. If Ralston would just f**k off out that list I'd have been pretty chuffed tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apologies, those figures I posted above include todays games, didn't realise the site updated this quickly. Individual match stats still not up.

In terms of how many shots it takes to score, we now sit 9th (11.89 shots per goal).

Dundee United (13), St Mirren (13.3), and Motherwell (13.7) below us.

Ross County in 8th at 11.43, then a jump to Aberdeen at 8.4.

xG figures won't update until individual match reports are up, but we were lowest in terms of xG per shot, and xG-Goals difference before today.

Thought we'd be stick ons for bottom of that category with the number of shots we have and the lack of goals in the league, upto yesterday.  I'm assuming it doesn't include the Betfred.

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Thought we'd be stick ons for bottom of that category with the number of shots we have and the lack of goals in the league, upto yesterday.  I'm assuming it doesn't include the Betfred.

No, its league only, for whatever reason they don't cover the Betfred Groups.

So in one game, Craig Conway produced more than Drey Wright managed in 2 seasons. I’ll let Radford have his say on that matter!

I know a lot of people don’t like him much and yes he’s a bit slow, but I remember saying at the start of the season I’d be ok with Wright going if we bring in a lesser player who contributes more, which I think is exactly what’s happened.

Also, a lot of Saints supporters seem to have very skewed memories in regards to Danny Swanson. An absolute class act at one point, and still capable of the occasional moment of magic in recent times, but the current Craig Conway is undoubtedly better than the current Danny Swanson.

Conway and May have developed a very good understanding.

In the st Mirren game they were linking up well and eventually combined for the goal, at Livi they set up a chance for each other at 0-0, and seem to have done it a few times since upto the last 2 matches, where they destroyed opposition defences.

Neither are particularly quick, but both intelligent attacking players with good ability who know how to play the game.  Add in the way Spoony is playing and the attack has looked right on it the past two weeks, albeit against weaker opponents.

If I made something like this...

Ekn3-IdXEAEshGf?format=jpg&name=large

For Saints games, would folk be interested? Or is it just too much information not worth a lot?

Davidson.png.18b684bc483ba5c30a0a1bcbbbf0e2af.png

Thats Davidson, and below is McCann. Definitely think Davidson coming in has free McCann up offensively, and trying to find the best way to show it.

McCann.png.dab3c5c1d6b0a2a45d615f70f14778b4.png

So in one game, Craig Conway produced more than Drey Wright managed in 2 seasons. I’ll let Radford have his say on that matter!

I know a lot of people don’t like him much and yes he’s a bit slow, but I remember saying at the start of the season I’d be ok with Wright going if we bring in a lesser player who contributes more, which I think is exactly what’s happened.

Yes