Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The question becomes, what would you rather, another striker and having to potentially switch to a back four if there was an injury, or being well enough covered to ensure we could always play with a recognised back three? 

I'd be happy to get Duffy away on a permanent, I don't think he'll ever be good enough for this level. 

I guess it’s dependent on the quality of striker which Callum would be able to get in. As last season wore on, Hendry and May showed that we already have strikers who are capable of regularly finding the back of the net when used together and when playing with confidence. Unless Davidson is able to pinpoint someone who he thinks is an upgrade on them and more of a guarantee over the course of a full season, I’d be more inclined to bring in another central defender as I do like the way we play with 3 of them at the back.

I think Callum Booth is an option for centre back in a 3 ahead of Rooney.  Didn’t he play a game there last season, maybe I’m imagining that?

Difficult choice on which area to prioritise, but I’d probably prefer someone in the forward area given our goal scoring form so far, a new face would give the current strikers a boost as well.

I'm intensely negative, but really struggling to see us signing a striker better than May/Hendry who's still available in October.

Probably wrong though. 

I'm probably on my own with this, but I think a creative central player is needed more than another striker. Stick one behind May/Hendry, and in front of Davidson/McCann, and let them drop out to the wings and link play, allow the strikers to focus on whats happening in the box, and i think wed be better off. Just now the strikers spend half their life linking play with the wing backs. I imagine Conway/Wotherspoon will take that role though.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm intensely negative, but really struggling to see us signing a striker better than May/Hendry who's still available in October.

Probably wrong though. 

I'm probably on my own with this, but I think a creative central player is needed more than another striker. Stick one behind May/Hendry, and in front of Davidson/McCann, and let them drop out to the wings and link play, allow the strikers to focus on whats happening in the box, and i think wed be better off. Just now the strikers spend half their life linking play with the wing backs. I imagine Conway/Wotherspoon will take that role though.

You're not alone, I was thinking similar. Conway has played the classic 'number 10' sort of role and did quite well but he's seems more likely to me to drift wide. Having someone between the 2 strikers would give us options through the middle for link-up play. CD is on record as wanting to push play to the wings and we've been thinking that's his philosophy, but maybe it's in part because that's where he thinks our playing strength lies with Conway, Spoony and MOH all natural wingers. Pushing every single ball out wide is costing us opportunities and making us easy to defend against and we need to be less predictable. 

To me the defender is a second priority. In part because we have a tiny bit of cover for the three centre-backs (Booth) and also because we can move to a back 4 if we need to. 

I'm not the one who's suggesting the club is indecisive or not changing goalposts. As is there right for what it's worth.
No, the constant digs at Davidson and the board on here and various other places are becoming ridiculous. There's a global pandemic and we've a brand new manager in place who's trying to get the team playing again. I'm not seeing very many positive comments from saints fans, if any at all and right now it's not needed. 
You kind of simply undermine your points by using the words, "little Callum" in what is clearly a derogatory fashion. I'm not defending him at all, nor am I defending the club, both deserve some criticism, but right now it's constant and totally over the top.
You're right that's my opinion, but I'm allowed to give it in the same way you are. 
Correct. I will be happy if we still have a club to support after Covid. Delighted if we avoid relegation and over the fucking moon if we finish anything above tenth.

I think Callum Booth is an option for centre back in a 3 ahead of Rooney.  Didn’t he play a game there last season, maybe I’m imagining that?
Difficult choice on which area to prioritise, but I’d probably prefer someone in the forward area given our goal scoring form so far, a new face would give the current strikers a boost as well.
The other advantage with Booth is it allows Kerr to stay on the right. When Rooney played against Killie, Kerr was moved to the left and didn't look comfortable there.

On 26/09/2020 at 14:41, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Covid redundancy I believe. He wasn't the only one either. 

Kinda replaced by school kid volunteers...

Neither of the above are true.

Anyway his replacement started today just over 3 years after he left. 

The suggestion of a central midfielder that creates is fair, and it was probably the biggest gap in the side at the start of the season.  I thought signing Bryson might have been to cover that area and allow McCann to support the strikers more.

I get that McCann isn’t a natural no.10 type, he’s more a safe and reliable player in possession that a take risks type, but as said above there’s Conway, Spoony and MOH to fit in as attacking midfielder types to fit in as well, added to Craig, Davidson, McCann and Bryson.  

Would another be overkill when we currently have 3 recognised first team strikers*/ 3 centre backs?

(not counting Olafe or Robertson here as currently they don’t appear to feature strongly in the first team plans; this could change obviously).

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The suggestion of a central midfielder that creates is fair, and it was probably the biggest gap in the side at the start of the season.  I thought signing Bryson might have been to cover that area and allow McCann to support the strikers more.

I get that McCann isn’t a natural no.10 type, he’s more a safe and reliable player in possession that a take risks type, but as said above there’s Conway, Spoony and MOH to fit in as attacking midfielder types to fit in as well, added to Craig, Davidson, McCann and Bryson.  

Would another be overkill when we currently have 3 recognised first team strikers*/ 3 centre backs?

(not counting Olafe or Robertson here as currently they don’t appear to feature strongly in the first team plans; this could change obviously).

Arguably the squad's thin in every area so it's right to point out that we might not need another midfielder. It's just that we seem to offer so little through the middle. Even when Kerr gets forward he seems to be heading up the right wing, such is our total dedication to crossing. Our central midfielders are either holding types or box-to-box runners, or wingers in the wrong place. Or in Bryson's case, half-knacked. We don't seem to have that player that can open up a defence so there's a lot of that work falling onto Hendry and May.

All that said given the low conversion rate (even Sportscene picked up on it) maybe we just need a change up front.  I'd be happy with anyone that gives us that bit more depth as we're 2 bad tackles and a suspension away from running on fumes. 

Anyway .... the rumour was that Duffy and Kane were on the way out. Don't imagine either will free up a lot of cash but hopefully enough for one more, and maybe a quality playmaker is out of our budget.