Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just listened to a bit of that podcast, Zippy starts talking around 11 minutes; that headline is exactly what he says about the manager preparing for the tie.  

He also goes onto say the facilities at Cork City are better than at Saints, it annoyed him that they'd train at a couple of different locations with Saints and some days you didn't know where you'd be training the next day.  Other than at ibrox and Celtic park the atmosphere at Scottish football isn't upto much, and is better at some LOI grounds, and the standard isn't all that different. 

He stopped playing recently and is pursuing a career in journalism.  Hadn't realised he was at Saints as a youngster when Graham Gartland (the other interviewee) played for us and McInnes had him in for a trial along with another Irish lad, but neither were taken on.

Only listened to the first half hour or so,  not sure if there was more Saints stuff after that.

Was that the tie where we had about 4 first team players out injured for, when most folk were totally unaware until the team was announced.. unless that was the Alashkert match?  Ally Gilchrist made his first team debut that game apparently.  I remember being impressed with Trakai, especially Maksimov and wee Oscar, then surprised to hear others describe them as the level of Cowdenbeath.  The Saints team v Trakai that night;

Clark

Shaughnessy

Alston

Paton      Substituted forMillarat 63'minutes

Wotherspoon           Substituted forScougallat 62'minutes

Cummins

Foster

MacLean

Easton

Craig       Substituted forKaneat 84'minutes

Gilchrist

Substitutes

1Mannus

3Tanser

7Millar

15Kerr

21Scougall

25Kane

27Thomson

41 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Tommy Wright fucked that tie in the first 45 minutes. All on Tommy that one.

He regularly picked bizarre set ups in Europe. 

I'm almost certain a couple of younger players played more European games than league games.

Scott Brown and Tam Scobbie as CM partners once FFS.

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Was that the tie where we had about 4 first team players out injured for, when most folk were totally unaware until the team was announced.. unless that was the Alashkert match?  Ally Gilchrist made his first team debut that game apparently.  I remember being impressed with Trakai, especially Maksimov and wee Oscar, then surprised to hear others describe them as the level of Cowdenbeath.  The Saints team v Trakai that night;

Clark

Shaughnessy

Alston

Paton      Substituted forMillarat 63'minutes

Wotherspoon           Substituted forScougallat 62'minutes

Cummins

Foster

MacLean

Easton

Craig       Substituted forKaneat 84'minutes

Gilchrist

Substitutes

1Mannus

3Tanser

7Millar

15Kerr

21Scougall

25Kane

27Thomson

Worth mentioning the nidfield was Wotherspoon right, Craig left, and Paton/Alston central, from what i remember. 

Paul fucking Paton left alone in CM against Dorley 😂 imagine if we actually bothered scouting at any point.

I'm almost certain a couple of younger players played more European games than league games.

From Memory Brown played quite well against Luzern.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That particular set up was due to injuries though.

20 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

That particular set up was due to injuries though.

The line up arguably was (ignoring the fact he played Kane on a wing for the first time, and Scobbie as a CM, when Caddis was on the bench, who despite his flaws had played well in Europe the previous season), but not how he actually set them up.

I'll never, ever, agree that a flat midfield 4 of...

Kane - Scobbie - Brown - MOH

... was ever going to be anything other than a complete disaster. 

It sounds bad now that in retrospect they've amounted to nothing, but the bench had McKay, Thomson, Caddis and Cummins. You could make a back 5/midfield 5 out of the players available that doesn't involve two players wedged in out of position in the midfield IMO, and the lack of midfield was a major problem against Alashkert.

Dare say I'm likely alone in this.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Lithuania wasn’t helped but the fact Scott Tanser played his first 2 games for us and looked like he had never played football before. Funny how players can improve like that.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dare say I'm likely alone in this.

Just think, in all alternative world, you picked the team to beat Alashkert whilst Tommy Wright sat at home in Ballyclare with his Pot Noodles putting the world to rights.

I thought the manager did as much as he could in Europe with everything (resources, injures, timing etc...) taken into account. Saints watched Trakai in person but it was a cup game they won 8-0 against a gang and possibly with a much-changed team. Again going off memory but I think TW himself managed to watch three full games on video. 

It could be that he didn't want to overload the players with information as was trying to instill a confidence in them? The idea he didn't think they were good certainly doesn't tally with how complimentary he was about them. 

I think Cummins loses credibility with the stuff about training. Maybe @perthsaint1977 can confirm but I was always under the impression it was pretty much set in stone that they trained in Perth on Monday and Friday and Stirling on Tuesday and Wednesday/Thursday?