Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Beginning to believe Random's theory that Parish might be cursed.

I've changed my opinion to him just being shite tbh. There was nothing "unlucky" about yesterday's goal, the keeper isn't under any pressure, can see the ball the whole way, yet actually moves away from the post and allows it past.

Great view of the goal from behind Vigurs that shows you flight, and the post doesn't appear behind Parish until he randomly jumps out the way as it drifts over everyone.

Fingers crossed Clark isn't as bad as last season as, let's be honest, Parish isn't having a lot to do every match yet is still conceding regularly.

Aye thats fair. Thing with Wright was he was a young guy worth gambling on, as there's a potential resale if he done well. You can understand why they took that risk.
A 34yo CM who probably wouldn't even start when everyone's fit? Doesn't feel worth it.
His wage is heavily appearance dependent.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:
On 19/09/2020 at 11:43, RandomGuy. said:
Aye thats fair. Thing with Wright was he was a young guy worth gambling on, as there's a potential resale if he done well. You can understand why they took that risk.
A 34yo CM who probably wouldn't even start when everyone's fit? Doesn't feel worth it.

His wage is heavily appearance dependent.

As it was at Aberdeen which is why he kept coming back far too soon.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've changed my opinion to him just being shite tbh. There was nothing "unlucky" about yesterday's goal, the keeper isn't under any pressure, can see the ball the whole way, yet actually moves away from the post and allows it past.

Great view of the goal from behind Vigurs that shows you flight, and the post doesn't appear behind Parish until he randomly jumps out the way as it drifts over everyone.

Fingers crossed Clark isn't as bad as last season as, let's be honest, Parish isn't having a lot to do every match yet is still conceding regularly.

Agree. Yesterday's effort was just poor.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agree. Yesterday's effort was just poor.

Goal.jpg.8b8bc3079b299e7c3779318c986eb230.jpg

I've never been a goalkeeper, so maybe unfair, but staggering to me that he lets that ball in at the far post despite never leaving his line.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goal.jpg.8b8bc3079b299e7c3779318c986eb230.jpg

I've never been a goalkeeper, so maybe unfair, but staggering to me that he lets that ball in at the far post despite never leaving his line.

That’s the type of goal that I’ve seen quite a bit of. I think the keeper believes the defence is going to deal with it, presuming it’s a straightforward cross, or a forward will head it towards goal.  Neither happens and the keeper is caught on his heels as it curls into the corner.  

it’s a stupid goal to be losing.

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

With Scott McKenna looking likely to leave Aberdeen fairly imminently, I wonder if Jason Kerr might be on McInnes's radar.

According to someone on Twitter (I know), they won't be spending the McKenna money on a new player. It'll be used to help them through the season then pay their "debts" (McCrorie fee I guess?) next Summer.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

According to someone on Twitter (I know), they won't be spending the McKenna money on a new player. It'll be used to help them through the season then pay their "debts" (McCrorie fee I guess?) next Summer.

McInnes also said on Sky that they had brought in Hoban and McRorie with the view that McKenna would be leaving and wouldn't be adding anyone else.

Good to hear.

Kerrs been in great form this season, and he's put in a few good performances against Aberdeen over the past few years, especially up there, including matches where I think he actually outperformed McKenna.  It sounds as though a ball playing centre back is exactly what Aberdeen are missing as well.

Just a slight fear at the back of my mind was that McInnes knows cash is king for Saints, especially in the current climate, and if they get 3-£4m for McKenna, he might try and tempt our board with a cheeky offer of a few hundred grand or so. 

I'd hope Kerr's move away from us is a good one to the championship down south when the time is right, not to another Scottish side.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

with a cheeky offer of a few hundred grand or so. 

Steve Brown has a lot of flaws, but I would be amazed if he's going to sell any "assets" for less than they're worth.

If McKenna is worth £3m up front/£5m after clauses, as reported, then we should be aiming to break our record with Kerr.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Steve Brown has a lot of flaws, but I would be amazed if he's going to sell any "assets" for less than they're worth.

Didn't he jump at the chance to flog Stevie May for £200,000? Only bailing when they wanted to pay in installments?

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Didn't he jump at the chance to flog Stevie May for £200,000? Only bailing when they wanted to pay in installments?

I doubt it considering the final fee was multiple times that.

Just now, The Saintee said:

Fair enough. You tend to remember that type of thing better than I do.

My memory is fairly shite tbf.

I remember him getting £70k for Kennedy though, after Kennedy had already agreed to sign for Aberdeen for nothing 5 months later.

I'd say there's zero chance Kerr, or McCann, leave this Summer without it being a seven figure deal.

Hopefully you're right. My worry is mostly around the current climate when income is minimal, and in a single deal you can cover your costs for the season.

I'm not saying he isn't worth it, but I'd be amazed, if we end up getting a seven figure sum for Kerr.

You have more faith in our ability to force a good deal than I do. In recent times, I can't ever remember thinking 'that's a brilliant piece of business for us' in the way that United fans did a few years back, or Motherwell fans probably feel quite regularly.  You could argue that with hindsight, getting what we did for May and MOH was good, but only because their careers didn't kick on as anticipated.

Howdy,

I'm currently working as a researcher on A View From the Terrace and we're doing a piece on St Johnstone's 2014 Scottsh Cup Final win and we're looking for some fans to share their experiences of the day, details of which are below. If interested be good to here from you, just drop an email to me here: chris@studiosomething.co .

BBC Scotland football show, ‘A View From The Terrace’ are working on a new unique short film that brings together the voices and memories of monumental moments in a club’s history. A celebration and reminder of the universal moments of football that bring us together, from those on the pitch to those in the stand and even those who for whatever reason couldn’t be there one the day.If you have a story about the 2014 cup final that you are willing to share get in touch, taking in the silly, the stupid, the heartfelt and the emotional. Send us a paragraph with your tale of the day and if selected you will be required to take part in an online interview via Zoom in the next few weeks.

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hopefully you're right. My worry is mostly around the current climate when income is minimal, and in a single deal you can cover your costs for the season.

I'm not saying he isn't worth it, but I'd be amazed, if we end up getting a seven figure sum for Kerr.

You have more faith in our ability to force a good deal than I do. In recent times, I can't ever remember thinking 'that's a brilliant piece of business for us' in the way that United fans did a few years back, or Motherwell fans probably feel quite regularly.  You could argue that with hindsight, getting what we did for May and MOH was good, but only because their careers didn't kick on as anticipated.

Dundee got £1m for Hendry, and Aberdeen are getting £3m for McKenna. Kerrs CV fits closer to McKenna than Hendry, IMO.

Brown has committed to these young players by giving them long, hefty, deals. Hes not done that because he expects to keep them, he's done that because it makes them more expensive to buy. May was out of contract 10 months after he left.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dundee got £1m for Hendry, and Aberdeen are getting £3m for McKenna. Kerrs CV fits closer to McKenna than Hendry, IMO.

Brown has committed to these young players by giving them long, hefty, deals. Hes not done that because he expects to keep them, he's done that because it makes them more expensive to buy. May was out of contract 10 months after he left.

100% this, Jason Kerr is saints captain has another 2 years left on his deal and is regaining the form which probably should have seen him at least get a consideration for Scotland. This time next year, you're looking at him having played over 100 top flight games and captained half of them, whilst adding an attacking element to his play. Next summer is the time to sell him, the issue is he'd only have a year left, it's almost at the stage where you ask him to agree a years extension now, but stipulate that if a bid of 1.5-2 million comes in for him then we won't stand in his way. I'm sure he knows that saints wont ever stop a player furthering themselves, but if it's written down, his agent will know exactly what teams would need to pay so he can start any conversations off with the figure or there will be no deal. 

I think he's probably worth about 1.5 million looking at it objectively based on his ability and numbers, we'll probably get closer to 1 million with add ons if we ever sell him. It's Ali McCann who's breaking our transfer record, especially if that clown Baraclough actually uses his eyes and plays him.