Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, TheGoon said:

Is Wallace Duffy any good lads? Joined us for the season.

I'll be generous and say he's raw. He's a right back but can cover at centre back. We've not seen him play a game for us since January, but before that he really struggled in the top flight. Might just need games and a run to improve his confidence but I'd be surprised to see him in a Saints shirt again.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I'll be generous and say he's raw. He's a right back but can cover at centre back. We've not seen him play a game for us since January, but before that he really struggled in the top flight. Might just need games and a run to improve his confidence but I'd be surprised to see him in a Saints shirt again.

I actually thought in games where he played at right back, he was passable. So long as he's got someone experienced next to him, but positional and awareness of the play around him definitely show he's someone who's not played a lot of senior football. He's not physically strong enough to play at centreback, unless he's filled out a bit. 

7 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Was saying to I think another Morton fan last week. Looks like a central defender playing right back when at right back. 

At centre back my opinion was he struggled against pacey movement type strikers, looked out his depth against Hibs & Motherwell particularly in games. 

Then had his best game against Hearts where Leveins side spend 90 mins lumping it down the middle of the park to Uche and he looked fairly comfortable against that. 

Some more experience and savvy to play centre back, bit more composure to play right back and most importantly if he found significantly more self belief than he has shown till now then maybe there's a player in there. 

45 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Although he didn’t look up to top flight standard everyone around him was absolutely honking too so I’ll give him a bit of leeway. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

There's a potential that it could happen?

Considering he's had a serious ankle problem that ended his Derby career, and severely stunted his Aberdeen career, you'll have to ask questions if its not brought up as an issue, but I daresay if they've reached this stage its likely something they'll overlook in the hope they can keep him fit.

Not a fan of this move at all, but theres potential in him to take McCanns current role and allow McCann forward again. Struggling to really see what he brings that we don't already have with Craig/Davidson though.

Let’s face it he’s going to be an option off the bench and probably not start that many games of Murray and McCann stay fit. Maybe suggests Liam is struggling a bit now and is looking to take a step back at the end of his 6 month deal.

5 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Bryson left Aberdeen because he wants the games he was no longer guaranteed to play. If he goes to Perth, I suspect he'll expect to play most games (if ever fit enough to, of course)

Hes not played in over 5 consecutive games since September/October 2018 due to injuries, so I'd say the chances of him playing most games for us seems slim.

Edited by RandomGuy.

19 minutes ago, Widge said:

Let’s face it he’s going to be an option off the bench and probably not start that many games of Murray and McCann stay fit. Maybe suggests Liam is struggling a bit now and is looking to take a step back at the end of his 6 month deal.

Liam is 33!!!!!

And been one of our most consistent players in the last 12 months.

Why would he be looking to take a step back?

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes not played in over 5 consecutive games since September/October 2018 due to injuries, so I'd say the chances of him playing most games for us seems slim.

I have  this idea that Bryson was injured against Saints  first time around, then got injured again in the Muzz red card incident on his first return back? He  could be thinking that if he signs for Saints  he cuts the odds on getting injured!   

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite a damning reflection on his recent record. Could be used as a support for Craig while Davidson is injured but from what I've seen, Bryson isn't nearly as mobile

10 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Liam is 33!!!!!

Hes also younger than Bryson, with less injury issues. Not sure why Craig would need to step back to make way for Bryson, when Craig is more likely to play.

10 minutes ago, Center half said:

I have  this idea that Bryson was injured against Saints  first time around, then got injured again in the Muzz red card incident on his first return back? He  could be thinking that if he signs for Saints  he cuts the odds on getting injured!   

Was injured when he joined Aberdeen, had a few appearances and then injured at McDiarmid. 

Just 3 months ago he was talking about how his ankle just completely gave up when playing a pass. He then adds he's rushed back and made it worse, and goes into detail about how multiple different injections and even a surgery didn't sort it. He never actually says he's over it.

Obviously be nice if hes over these issues, but they've dogged him for 2 years now with his spells out getting longer every time.

1 minute ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Quite a damning reflection on his recent record. Could be used as a support for Craig while Davidson is injured but from what I've seen, Bryson isn't nearly as mobile

Not sure what type of midfielder Bryson is now. Doesnt get forward, doesn't win many tackles. Completes a lot of lateral passes but that's really it. 

Suspect we'll end up dropping Conway for him and going with Davidson, Bryson and McCann as the starters, and back to a genuine front two.