Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

For Saints, that is probably steadfastly the goalkeeper!

Clark was higher than Butcher...

McCann came top of that particular bit though.

Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell.. 3 matches where we have been the better side and lost 1-0. Certainly 7, possibly 9 points down the  drain.  Very poor.

In a tight league we need to find the way to win close matches, or at the very least grab a point. Our inability to take the lead means we can't bring teams out more so we can get in behind, and also any goal conceded is likely to be decisive.

Hendry and May looked a promising partnership towards the end of last season, stop fucking around Davidson and get them starting together.  I get that Conway has ability, and he was good in the second half of the st Mirren game, but I feel he needs to create far more, and is a luxury player for us at times. I'd be starting him on the bench and using him as a sub in matches where we need someone to come off the bench and make something happen.

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hendry and May looked a promising partnership towards the end of last season, stop fucking around Davidson and get them starting together.  

May averages more passes and touches per90 than MOH despite playing far less minutes.

I like O'Halloran and his pace is huge up front, but he contributes almost nothing to the build up.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell.. 3 matches where we have been the better side and lost 1-0. Certainly 7, possibly 9 points down the  drain.  Very poor.

In a tight league we need to find the way to win close matches, or at the very least grab a point. Our inability to take the lead means we can't bring teams out more so we can get in behind, and also any goal conceded is likely to be decisive.

Hendry and May looked a promising partnership towards the end of last season, stop fucking around Davidson and get them starting together.  I get that Conway has ability, and he was good in the second half of the st Mirren game, but I feel he needs to create far more, and is a luxury player for us at times. I'd be starting him on the bench and using him as a sub in matches where we need someone to come off the bench and make something happen.

I don't have a problem at all with Conway being in behind Hendry and May, he's contributed more than most in the last couple of games. The issue to me is starting with O'Halloran.

May scored the winner quite late off the bench a fornight ago, not sure what more he could have done to get a start tbh. Today I was hoping we had Hendry and May, Conway in behind, McCann and Murray Davidson central mid. 

A few players culpable for that performance today, we always seem to suffer after a break. 

I’d drop O’Halloran to be honest. He’s not really offering anything and I feel like his discipline is becoming a bit of an issue, thought he was lucky not to get booked on a couple of occasions again today with late tackles and leaving a big on players after making a challenge. 

37 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’d drop O’Halloran to be honest. He’s not really offering anything and I feel like his discipline is becoming a bit of an issue, thought he was lucky not to get booked on a couple of occasions again today with late tackles and leaving a big on players after making a challenge. 

The minute possession goes into MOHs feet if he's not running onto the ball it's instantly lost. 

2 or 3 times he was just brushed off the ball after his first touch today when he was trying to take in possession facing away from goal.

Have said this about him before, I don't know why he/or managers want him involved in some of the passing build up play etc. He's just not capable of it. 

At this level he needs to stick to running channels and making runs in behind, that's the limit of his ability.

I’d like to see this next time out:

Clark

—— Kerr, Gordon, McCart——

McNamara, Davidson, McCann, Craig, Tanser

———-May, Hendry———-

Give McCann the licence to get forward and get our best two strikers on the park together. It took months to play them together last season and once they did start playing together they looked like forming a partnership and both started scoring goals. I wouldn’t be totally against swapping Davidson/Craig for Conway and playing him in behind the strikers but that would probably mean McCann sitting deeper.

As far as today goes, I reckon we had five pretty good chances in that game. We restricted Motherwell to not much at all aside from the goal, which is an excellent strike from 22+ yards out. RG will tell you that’s a low day opportunity. Our finishing is a bit concern but we are defending well for the most part and we are making chances. The goals have to start a coming though.

13 hours ago, ali_91 said:

I know that Ali McCann had a good game again today, and has been decent all season, but he’s our best player and we should be looking to have him perform in areas where he can effect the game more imo. 

Not overly concerned about that today, we’ll start taking our chances eventually, and quietly confident for the season ahead. Should be starting May though. 

I thought Ali looked better when they changed the system tbh. Sees more of the ball and that can only be a good thing.  Think we need a CM and a proper striker, persevering with Hendry, MOH and Kane is hurting us.

13 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

we are defending well for the most part and we are making chances. The goals have to start a coming though.

Aye, they only had two shots on target all match, the goal then Grimshaw from about 40 yards at the end.

Kane and MOH have to step up, tbh. Hendry was always going to dip after last season, while May has had two chances this season, scored one and performed above his xG last season too. Kane and MOH have contributed almost nothing to the goal tally over the past 12 months.

On McCann, he's clearly better in a 3 and allowed to get forward, but this season hes been forced to play beside Craig in a 2, and Wotherspoon in a 2, through the fact we only have 2 CMs available, since the manager clearly isn't wanting to rush the injured players back. Yesterday was different but you can't blame the decision to keep the same side from St Mirren. You can see why McCann has been told to be more disciplined when those are his partners.

I'd hope we see someone come in before next weekend, but suspect it'll just be a back up player.

It’s clear that the system is hampered by playing O’Halloran. Technically and tactically he cannot and never has been able to play up front. There were times yesterday that Hendry won a flick I’m only to see O’Halloran standing next to him instead of anticipating the ball. For all people can go on about the system, it does work. We’ve been the better team against Aberdeen (albeit a weakened one), Hibs and now Motherwell. Had we taken the clear chances we created we’d be sitting with 7 more points right now and a much healthier GD from the St Mirren game. The defence is doing their job, the midfielders are arguably doing theirs. That means it’s the strikers who are the issue and not playing 2 natural ones first and foremost is the issue. I’d also rather see Spoony in behind as he gives McCann a bit more freedom as he’s got the ability to step back. Conway just doesn’t offer the same goals and creativity as Spoony.

If we are bringing players in, right now I hope it’s firstly a midfielder and I’m almost swaying towards a striker now. Especially since Kane has 3 months to earn another deal at saints.

9 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

18 followers? 

It seems to be the official account for buying merchandise, yet has never been promoted by the club at all, and is now tweeting information that literally nobody is going to see.

St Johnstone on social media in a nutshell.

It'll probably never tweet again.