Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

As a side note thought Wright was absolutely stinking when he came on for Hibs. 

McNamara is a better defender then Wright and I think has better game intelligence. Final ball needs worked on and some might criticise him for this shots from outside the box, but he's had 2 in the last 2 games and they've both been on target. 

Was it not our only shot on target against Aberdeen too. 

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Was it not our only shot on target against Aberdeen too. 

Yes, he's had both.

Once I'm home ill get the shot map that shows you where about on the "target" the shots were. The Aberdeen one for sure was borderline, think yesterday's was better.

Compare him to the others taking shots from outside the box (looking at you, Liam Craig), and he deserves praise for getting them on target.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, he's had both.

Once I'm home ill get the shot map that shows you where about on the "target" the shots were. The Aberdeen one for sure was borderline, think yesterday's was better.

Compare him to the others taking shots from outside the box (looking at you, Liam Craig), and he deserves praise for getting them on target.

There were at least 2 occasions yesterday that I was left shouting at the TV since Craig had attempted a shot from 25/30 yards despite there being clear grass in front of him and options up front and out wide.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

There were at least 2 occasions yesterday that I was left shouting at the TV since Craig had attempted a shot from 25/30 yards despite there being clear grass in front of him and options up front and out wide.

Yeah don't get me started, the whole teams been bad for this all season.

Doubt we'll ever beat Kerr against Kilmarnock though.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah don't get me started, the whole teams been bad for this all season.

Doubt we'll ever beat Kerr against Kilmarnock though.

It's interesting about our midfielders. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd imagine Liam Craig is currently top for interceptions and pass completion in our team. He's cutting the ball out and passing it wide to Tanser/McCart consistently. My issue with this, is that it hampers McCanns game, it's him you want to intercept the ball from deep, as a lot of his best work and secondary assists come fro him driving forward into space left by the person he's nicked the ball off. I don't think Craig allows him to do this, since he's almost having to cover more ground to make up for Craigs lack of mobility.

I do think it's important that we win next week. Mentally it's going to quite detrimental if we continue to let chances slip and end up falling to defeat. That can't become the norm. 

I thought we played alright second half without being great. We were at least picking up the second balls and trying to take charge of the game. 

Was Swanson not already gone by the time Davidson came in?

I think it was the right decision for everyone that Swanson left. He deserves to end his career playing football on his terms, and im sure there's a rumour he's started looking at life after football so wanted part time football.

I'm trying to hold off criticising new signings this early as I usually make an arse of myself by writing them off, so Conway will get longer than ~250 mins before I say he's a poor signing.

18 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

I’m not privy to training or off field goings on, but I’m struggling to see what Conway brings to the side that Swanson doesn’t have in spades.

Very early days but that's my view too. Maybe he'll improve as he plays more games but we'd have been as well hanging onto Swanson if what we're seeing is Conway's top gear.

24 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

I’m not privy to training or off field goings on, but I’m struggling to see what Conway brings to the side that Swanson doesn’t have in spades.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Conway couldn't lace Dannys boots.

Agree with both the above! however from the outside looking in i think Danny had lost possibly his passion for it, be interesting to see how he performs when the season starts, TW was his biggest fan/Ally yet i think even Tommy had given up by the end, time will tell!      

Also the only quality cross into the box yesterday which Callum scored from was Conway for what it is worth! 

Edited by Center half

3 hours ago, Widge said:

It's interesting about our midfielders. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd imagine Liam Craig is currently top for interceptions and pass completion in our team.

Looked just at CMs on Wyscout, and it doesn't include yesterday figures, but Craig is at 7.16 interceptions per 90, McCann at 4.25.

Last season it was 7.07 for Craig, 4.03 for McCann.

Craig is at 41.93 passes per 90, with a 76.83% success rate, McCann at 30 and 81.89% success.

Last season Craig at 37.63 passes, 69.19% success. McCann at 34.44, 77.13%.

But it doesn't include last night, and from memory a lot of Craigs successful ones arent progressive, while McCann tends to move it forward. Hard to find that stuff out on my phone 😂

Figures give the impression both are doing more defensively this season, while Craig is seeing more of the ball than McCann, who's playing a reduced role this season. Probably backs up what most people are seeing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

19 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

Both of Kerr’s cross balls in the second half were begging to be tapped in. It’s criminal that none of the attacking players were in there.

Central striker standing in the middle of nowhere near edge of box on multiple occasions like the twice you mention.

Gives me the rage!! Gamble.

Also @RandomGuy.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Aye, refuse to believe we couldn't compete with Accrington Stanley if we wanted too, so presumably we've missed out through choice.

Big disappointment. 

@Mr Positive, sometimes. WyScout hasn't even counted McNamaras shot yesterday as being on target...

Blue dots are "on target". McNamaras yesterday is the "number 5" on the far right in the bottom photo.

shots.jpg.0468498787e444eda7dfd6537fe47d3b.jpg

shots.jpg.8f901d32012cac268126c98e15339d5f.jpg

We're not really testing goalkeepers, are we.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, Widge said:

It's interesting about our midfielders. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd imagine Liam Craig is currently top for interceptions and pass completion in our team. He's cutting the ball out and passing it wide to Tanser/McCart consistently. My issue with this, is that it hampers McCanns game, it's him you want to intercept the ball from deep, as a lot of his best work and secondary assists come fro him driving forward into space left by the person he's nicked the ball off. I don't think Craig allows him to do this, since he's almost having to cover more ground to make up for Craigs lack of mobility.

Overall I think Liam has done alright I do agree. Playing him in a midfield central two now I don't think works because exactly what you've said, lacking in mobility. 

For more than just this reason if he wants it persit with wing backs we should go back to the 3-5-2. Gives extra man in middle of the park, allowing 1 to sit. IE Liam and the two in front can get into the box etc. 2 strikers rather than having the weird 2 playing of central striker which is currently resulting in not enough bodies in the box when getting the ball wide. 

Although after Liam getting sent off it leaves us super short. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

@Mr Positive, sometimes. WyScout hasn't even counted McNamaras shot yesterday as being on target...

Blue dots are "on target". McNamaras yesterday is the "number 5" on the far right in the bottom photo.

shots.jpg.0468498787e444eda7dfd6537fe47d3b.jpg

shots.jpg.8f901d32012cac268126c98e15339d5f.jpg

We're not really testing goalkeepers, are we.

Nope. Not at all. 

Feeling similar things you're pointing saying re decisions around the box. Kerr example at the time was fuming and the behind angle makes it even worse!

I want to watch it back to see if my thoughts of better deliveries this week was true and we didn't score because the "poor" timing or lack of runs in the box but I also don't want to watch it back... Because it was shite 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

10 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I want to watch it back to see if my thoughts of better deliveries this week was true and we didn't score because the "poor" timing or lack of runs in the box but I also don't want to watch it back... Because it was shite 😂

Not based on any evidence, just gut feeling from watching it live, but yesterday felt like the first time the strikers couldn't cite a lack of help in attack as an issue.

When you have CBs rolling balls across the six yard box just begging to be tapped in, you've got to question the strikers.