Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tell Broon that.

We've now got Hendry, May, Kane, Olaofe and MacLean as striking options. Davidson won't get to sign another, so thats our lot. 

We're reliant on Hendry keeping up an unsustainable scoring rate, Mays 2 month purple patch becoming the norm and not the previous 3 years of not scoring, Kane, an untested youngster with almost no senior games, and a 38yo playing in the third tier last season.

Add in MOH, Conway and O'Halloran, maybe even Robertson, and thats 8/9 players fighting for 3 positions if hes sticking with the 3 up top, which to me means we won't be signing anyone else in an attacking role.

That worries me. 

Random all that has happened is that one of the coaches is also being registered as a player...Stop overthinking it

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Random all that has happened is that one of the coaches is also being registered as a player...Stop overthinking it

To me, a 38yo coach is now going to be taking a place in an already small squad.

It just feels completely pointless.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Emphasis on small squad there. You’re getting yourself in a tizz about nothing. Would be foolish not to register him (if that’s what’s happening.) 

We'll be running with a small squad this season. You cant afford too many passengers amongst that.

MacLean, as much as we all love him, would be. Olaofe is potentially going to be one. Conway might be past it. MoH hasn't performed consistently for years. 

I'm just worried we end up desperate for something different in attack and Broon refuses as we already have approaching double figures worth of attackers. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We'll be running with a small squad this season. You cant afford too many passengers amongst that.

MacLean, as much as we all love him, would be. Olaofe is potentially going to be one. Conway might be past it. MoH hasn't performed consistently for years. 

I'm just worried we end up desperate for something different in attack and Broon refuses as we already have approaching double figures worth of attackers. 

Wow relegation seems inevitable. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To me, a 38yo coach is now going to be taking a place in an already small squad.

It just feels completely pointless.

It makes perfect sense to keep him registered as a player.He's not taking anyones place it just means that he is available if required..

2 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

He's not taking anyones place it just means that he is available if required..

I refuse to believe Steve Brown won't be counting him as a player if CD decides in a few weeks he needs another attacker.

22 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

But I don’t think anyone (maybe you are but I don’t think so?) is wanting an additional striker. Registering him won’t effect the budget and is surely just a ‘just in case,’ sort of signing? Won’t effect the make up of our squad? 

I think we're shy of a genuine, effective, lone striker, and another wide pacey option, if we're playing this 3 up front thing.

MacLean would've been perfect four years ago.

My worry is neither Conway or Olaofe are useful, and we end up with those two, and MacLean, taking up squad places.

Random has gone from......" It's all good. The players were fighting to make the shape work. What an encouraging sign. Could easily have won with 10 men after barely having a pre-season." 

To........." Oh noes! The squad is minescule, unbalanced and the signing policy is sending out a surrender message to the rest of the league!!"

Pray for Mrs RandomGuy.

Tommy spent a whole year trying to get the  average age of the squad down. Davidson about to reverse  it all with his first (non loan) 2 signings. The mind boggles... 

id play Kane over Maclean... has his faults yes but brings way more energy and threat. Watching what I did of Maclean last season you can tell he has lost his agility and another yard of pace 

Don’t think we’ll see much of Maclean but it surely makes sense to register him as a player? We weren’t even able to till the bench yesterday which wouldn’t have been an issue if Maclean had been available to us. 

I doubt it’ll cost the club anything and if it doesn’t infringe on his ability to be a coach then I’m all for it. No harm in having extra competition for places and it can only help the young strikers at the club to have a master of the dark arts training with them every day. 

I don’t quite understand that post. He is ‘going to take a place in an already small squad’? That wording makes it sound like MacLean’s inclusion would make the squad even smaller. Surely the fact we have a small squad is exactly why we need extra numbers?