Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

We have Tanser and Booth for one side and Rooney and McNamara for the other. If pushed Liam Craig and Spoony have played there too.

Yes but do you trust Tanser defensively?

Craig and Spoony can both play there but surely we want to avoid that. Craig doing it reduces our already thin options in centre mid. Spoony would be the preferred option but he showed yesterday how important he can be up front. 

If we're using either as a wing back it's pretty desperate times.  

Tanser was perfectly fine defensively last season, including as a wing back against Celtic. Quite why people have decided he's a horrendous weak link who needs replaced, seemingly based on 10 minutes of the first game of the season, is completely beyond me.

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Yes but do you trust Tanser defensively?

Craig and Spoony can both play there but surely we want to avoid that. Craig doing it reduces our already thin options in centre mid. Spoony would be the preferred option but he showed yesterday how important he can be up front. 

If we're using either as a wing back it's pretty desperate times.  

Tanser can't defend,  we know this that's why he can't play in a 4, in a 5 he should be further forward anyway with McCart covering defensively. Last resort or injuries during games is the only reason I'd play Craig or Spoony in those positions. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tanser was perfectly fine defensively last season, including as a wing back against Celtic. Quite why people have decided he's a horrendous weak link who needs replaced, seemingly based on 10 minutes of the first game of the season, is completely beyond me.

Sorry, disagree (and I expect a deluge of stats to prove me wrong) but Scott Tanser was honking defensively last year. He's just too easy for a winger to beat. Tha'ts not based on 10 minutes, that's based on the season. 

He's fine when he has some time on the ball and his distribution and running up the wing, link play etc is fine - in fact I'd say good.  But he's not a defender at this level.

Tanser is absolutely fine defensively expect when he’s up against Forrest. A lot of saints fans seem to judge him on that and he got absolutely destroyed no questions. I don’t remember another winger in the league beating him easily at all, maybe that’s selective memory, but at this level he’s fine defensively if a little weak in the tackle occasionally.

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Sorry, disagree (and I expect a deluge of stats to prove me wrong) but Scott Tanser was honking defensively last year. He's just too easy for a winger to beat. Tha'ts not based on 10 minutes, that's based on the season. 

He's fine when he has some time on the ball and his distribution and running up the wing, link play etc is fine - in fact I'd say good.  But he's not a defender at this level.

The thing I don't like about Scotty is he let's too many crosses in, he has other attributes that are redeeming. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

The thing I don't like about Scotty is he let's too many crosses in, he has other attributes that are redeeming. 

Agree. And yes the CB should be there to help out but that can pull McCart  too far out of position leaving us short in the box or give the opposition space to run into on the edge of the box.

We lost a lot of goals to crosses early on last year. Some of that was Gordon being out but prevention is surely better than cure. 

I don't think he needs replaced BTW.

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agree. And yes the CB should be there to help out but that can pull McCart  too far out of position leaving us short in the box or give the opposition space to run into on the edge of the box.

We lost a lot of goals to crosses early on last year. Some of that was Gordon being out but prevention is surely better than cure. 

I don't think he needs replaced BTW.

You can usually afford McCart coming across to cover as it basically turns into a 4 when Tanser gets beat, same on the other side. If midfielders don't/can't pick up runners then we are fucked, see Celtic last season.

On the list of priorities, I’d say the only thing required less than a new striker is the full back positions. The thought of persevering with that new shape gives me the fear too, although we didn’t change an awful lot after MOH was sent packing and I thought it worked better without him in there. Maybe just needs more disciplined players for it to work. 

We’re starting to enter McInnes adjacent territory, one year he had 7 contracted strikers to start a season and only 5 or 6 defenders. Swap out defenders for midfielders and we can start calling that Davidson territory. 

You can usually afford McCart coming across to cover as it basically turns into a 4 when Tanser gets beat, same on the other side. If midfielders don't/can't pick up runners then we are fucked, see Celtic last season.

Yeah, he was a bit of a divisive player for Saints fans but Drey Wright was pretty good for tracking back and closing down when he was played as an out and out winger.  Spoony's very good at that too although not as pacy as you might want. 

Anyway first game in, next week will be interesting. After bumming up JOH in the press he's not got that option so will be interesting to see what happens if he sticks with a front 3. Aberdeen aren't as soft in the centre of defence and have got good (or better) wide options than United. Quite looking forward to McNamara vs Matty Kennedy. 

16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

On the list of priorities, I’d say the only thing required less than a new striker is the full back positions. The thought of persevering with that new shape gives me the fear too, although we didn’t change an awful lot after MOH was sent packing and I thought it worked better without him in there. Maybe just needs more disciplined players for it to work. 

We’re starting to enter McInnes adjacent territory, one year he had 7 contracted strikers to start a season and only 5 or 6 defenders. Swap out defenders for midfielders and we can start calling that Davidson territory. 

Kyle we need a baller in the middle.

Another, better one.

Kyle we need a baller in the middle.

Another, better one.

Assuming we line up the same against Aberdeen, with May in for O'Halloran, and our injured players aren't back next week we've got a bench of 6 outfield players. 2 haven't played for Saints before, one's a rookie that seems a good prospect but no real senior experience. The other one's Wallace Duffy.

Let's hope they don't go too hard in training this week, we get some rapid returns to the squad and/or we have a couple incoming this week. If this new guy can play both up front and midfield that would be a big bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Assuming we line up the same against Aberdeen, with May in for O'Halloran, and our injured players aren't back next week we've got a bench of 6 outfield players. 2 haven't played for Saints before, one's a rookie that seems a good prospect but no real senior experience. The other one's Wallace Duffy.

Let's hope they don't go too hard in training this week, we get some rapid returns to the squad and/or we have a couple incoming this week. If this new guy can play both up front and midfield that would be a big bonus. 

We may have 2 new players by then though.

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The thought of persevering with that new shape gives me the fear too, although we didn’t change an awful lot after MOH was sent packing and I thought it worked better without him in there. Maybe just needs more disciplined players for it to work. 

Think this might be it.

Second half you could see the idea. Two forwards split and prevent it being passed around the back, the two CMs sit deep and prevent it being played through the middle. In theory you also have a central striker pressuring the man in possession. In theory you should be able to force sides go go long, where our 3 CBs looked more than comfortable yesterday.

Hard to know how much of a hindrance MOH was being. It didn't look like he had a clue where he was meant to be in any phase of the match.

Just now, Tap in 94 said:

What's up with Murray Davidson? Injured again?

Apparently a few players have "niggles".

Long season + small squad = no risks taken.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think this might be it.

Second half you could see the idea. Two forwards split and prevent it being passed around the back, the two CMs sit deep and prevent it being played through the middle. In theory you also have a central striker pressuring the man in possession. In theory you should be able to force sides go go long, where our 3 CBs looked more than comfortable yesterday.

Hard to know how much of a hindrance MOH was being. It didn't look like he had a clue where he was meant to be in any phase of the match.

The plan out of possession even from kick off was to allow GK and even their central defenders (no wonder when you see Connelly in possession) to have the ball stand off and force them to try and play through us or encourage them to go longer and bring into the game the 3 central defenders who would dominate in the air. 

MOH was having a bit of a mare yesterday generally. The like of knocking the ball back to the thrower more than once he made look beyond him. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The plan out of possession even from kick off was to allow GK and even their central defenders (no wonder when you see Connelly in possession) to have the ball stand off and force them to try and play through us or encourage them to go longer and bring into the game the 3 central defenders who would dominate in the air. 

MOH was having a bit of a mare yesterday generally. The like of knocking the ball back to the thrower more than once he made look beyond him. 

Oh. Great.

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Aye but it was a bit of a mess, in my opinion. The three attackers didn't seem sure what they were doing. Wotherspoon was charging all over the placd, Hendry didn't know whether to sit or press, and MOH was doing nothing.

Second half it seemed to have been made clear and it was a lot more structured. I couldnt see the plan in the first half but could in the second, specifically after the equaliser when confidence returned.