Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I don’t think we currently have the players for 3-4-3.  It didn’t suit the front 3 we played although I think we do have front players that it might suit.  I think if we had Matt Butcher or similar beside McCann the midfield would have been much improved.  McNamara will be fine in that role but we have no one for the left.  Unless we can Frankensteinly merge Booth and Tanser that will be a weak area.  One isn’t great going forward and the other can’t defend.  I think minimum we need a central midfield player but if we are to stick with that formation we need a left wing back and probably cover for the back three. 

21 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Jason Holt would have ran that midfield today, just saying.

Would be happy if Holt or Butcher came in to be honest. We missed their presence today, far more than we missed Drey Wright IMO. 

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Murray Davidson is always a big miss imo. Think a three of him, McCann and Craig would be fine most games.
Conway looked like he could be very decent.
You could tell we had only 2 games under our belts and United had 4.
Take the point and run.

Absolutely, the lack of game time really showed in the last 20 minutes especially. Craig in particular looked exhausted. 

If any of the injured players are out for any length of time, we might struggle when it gets to 3 games in a week. 

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Murray Davidson is always a big miss imo. Think a three of him, McCann and Craig would be fine most games.

Would still need another.

Can't go through this season with 3 senior CMs.

3 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Would still need another.
Can't go through this season with 3 senior CMs.

Working on a few things I heard today. None of the injuries are long term . Just being super careful due to lack of mins played with the st mirren game being scrapped.

Hopefully they come to fruition soon. I don’t think we can do our usual and wait until last week of the window. Too much of the season will be gone by then and I think that was a big contributory factor in our terrible start last year. 

Parish got any chance of solidifying the number 1 spot? Decent keeper, rarely makes mistakes yet doesn't produce result saving/changing saves either. Just a bit meh at everything. Clark seems to either have a stormer or a disaster from week to week. Just asking because I read a few of you saying you wanted a new keeper earlier in the thread.

ETA: Jack Hamilton is available if you're in the market!

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Parish got any chance of solidifying the number 1 spot? Decent keeper, rarely makes mistakes yet doesn't produce result saving/changing saves either. Just a bit meh at everything. Clark seems to either have a stormer or a disaster from week to week. Just asking because I read a few of you saying you wanted a new keeper earlier in the thread.

New manager and potentially 5/6 weeks until Clark is back (thats based on a quick google of his injury and nothing more), so he'll have a chance to stake his claim.

I don't think he will though. Hes no better than Clark and has a remarkable ability to always concede. If he could perform well enough to give Clark a boot up the arse then that would be great.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

ETA: Jack Hamilton is available if you're in the market!

I'd like to think so. Clark can definitely do with a challenge to his spot.

He also likes an injury so a capable second keeper is essential.

On reflection, and seeing highlights of the other games today and how disjointed every single side looked, then today wasnt too bad at all.

Only had the two friendlies, and we seemed to give everyone minutes in those games, so that was the first real game under Davidson.

The work ethic and drive to avoid defeat has stuck, and even a new boy like McNamara was willing to chuck his body on the line. A huge amount of obstacles put in the way of Davidson, in terms of preparation and then what happened in the match, yet we still come away without being defeated and perhaps a bit unfortunate to not to have more.

A bit of depth to the squad, and some time for everyone to get up to speed, and we could have an exciting season ahead. Doesn't feel like theres any side without weaknesses this season.

7 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Nice interview with Parish on SaintsTV. Seems a bit less of a bland character than I imagined him being. Pwopa geeza.

He's the nicest footballer I've ever came across. I genuinely felt sorry for him when he was at Dens due to how apologetic he was in his mannerisms. It's not much, but he was the only keeper I've ever witnessed that always made a point of thanking the ball boy for retrieving the ball for him for a goal kick.  He apologised to team mates when we'd conceded a goal and it was their fault. He'd apologise to the fans when a goal was conceded and then of course, there's the look of pure terror when McCann and Wright shook hands for the first time after their much publicised fall out:

Comment: St Johnstone glad to get off the mark as Dundee continue ...

Thought Parish was good yesterday. Didn't have much to do but he made a really good save low down at his near post in the first half. Obviously no commentary and didn't get to see it again but looked like a solid shot and the type of effort Zander was struggling with last season.

Was solid with his kicking and deserves to keep his place. Heard Zander could be out for a month so he will get a decent run of games.

3 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

New striker signed apparently....

Suppose that'll be CD committed to a 2/3 striker up top set up then, wouldn't need 5 senior strikers otherwise (including Olaofe).

Would be perfect if the new one could also play put wide (can Olaofe play wide?) in a midfield 4 or 5, just to add depth out there aswell.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suppose that'll be CD committed to a 2/3 striker up top set up then, wouldn't need 5 senior strikers otherwise (including Olaofe).

Would be perfect if the new one could also play put wide (can Olaofe play wide?) in a midfield 4 or 5, just to add depth out there aswell.

Think I read Tanto can play central or wide.

The end of the window is the time to judge and it doesn't matter in what order you put the pieces together as long as you finish the jigsaw but I really hope there is a budget for a central midfielder. I'm sure there will be but it's a little unnerving to see the pot getting smaller and our options there no different. 

Liam Craig played well yesterday and, like all of our fans, I view him fondly but with the minutes played by Holt and Butcher last season, we need another option in there. 

Hopefully there will be loan options for the young strikers as it will be hard for them to fight past 4 or 5 other options.

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

New striker signed apparently....

Does this show the determination to stick with 3 forwards or just not convinced by convinced by Tanto or Kane? Probably just bulking out the squad. 

I'd quite like us to go back to 3-5-2 with May and Hendry as first picks. In that formation I'd say wing backs are our priority over the central mid, as we have 3 from 5 in that area (McCann, Davidson, Craig, Conway, Spoony). We've not got much cover at CB, and could be forced into a back 4. 

After a sleep I'm a a tiny bit more worried about our squad than I was before yesterday's game. I think we'll see some issues this year between the squad we have and the way the manager wants to play. TW didn't build the squad for 3-4-3 and I expect we'll struggle against the teams in the division that are strong out wide with that shape. Davidson should be more than canny enough for that, but we'll need a bit more depth as Booth is the only player I would trust to do a decent defensive LWB job and although McNamara looked very food there yesterday we've no cover. 

Still, we managed to put a good side out in terms of quality yesterday even with a couple of injuries so maybe I'm just early season knicker-wetting.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Typos

31 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Does this show the determination to stick with 3 forwards or just not convinced by convinced by Tanto or Kane? Probably just bulking out the squad. 

I'd quite like us to go back to 3-5-2 with May and Hendry as first picks. In that formation I'd say wing backs are our priority over the central mid, as we have 3 from 5 in that area (McCann, Davidson, Craig, Conway, Spoony). We've not got much cover at CB, and could be forced into a back 4. 

After a sleep I'm a a tiny bit more worried about our squad than I was before yesterday's game. I think we'll see some issues this year between the squad we have and the way the manager wants to play. TW didn't build the squad for 3-4-3 and I expect we'll struggle against the teams in the division that are strong out wide with that shape. Davidson should be more than canny enough for that, but we'll need a bit more depth as Booth is the only player I would trust to do a decent defensive LWB job on the left and although McNamara looked very food there yesterday we've no cover. 

Still, we managed to put a good side out in terms of quality yesterday even with a couple of injuries so maybe I'm just early season knicker-wetting.

We have Tanser and Booth for one side and Rooney and McNamara for the other. If pushed Liam Craig and Spoony have played there too.

Edit: in a 5 I'd have 

Rooney  Kerr Gordon McCart Tanser 

In a 4 

McNamara Kerr Gordon Booth 

We need at least 3 in CM in both formations imo or we get over run, certainly with the players we currently have, then ideally I'd have 2 up top(back 5 or depending on opponents) .

Edited by tree house tam