Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

59 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

“I will be limited on what I can and can’t do but I knew that anyway before I came in.”

Not even made 1 signing yet and this is what we’re getting. Covid must not have affect Motherwell since they seem able to make so many signings. 

Dick, out of that interview that is all you take? Ffs Dick be positive man, be positive. 

17 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Dick, out of that interview that is all you take? Ffs Dick be positive man, be positive. 

It’s hard to be positive be positive when we’ve lost 10 players and only brought in 1. How are other clubs able to sign players but we are so slow at everything? 
its mr Van Dyke to you! 

It’s hard to be positive be positive when we’ve lost 10 players and only brought in 1. How are other clubs able to sign players but we are so slow at everything? 
its mr Van Dyke to you! 
Even losing 10 players ( not sure if this is the correct number or not ) we are still in a very strong squad position with pretty much every position having back up. Plus we have 3/4 youngsters back from loan experience. Remember the last one to come back from a loan experience last season.....maybe just maybe the gaffer wants to see how these lads are now shaping up before deciding if it's out on loan again or they have a chance of first team.

I'm no expert on Motherwell or their wheeling and dealing but I'm kind of glad we aren't looking to bring in 5 to 10 players every single window.

31 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

its mr Van Dyke to you! 

Soz Dick.

We could go out and sign 10 players. Would it make us a better side? Maybe, maybe not. Would it be a harmonious workplace? Would it f**k. Would it be cost effective? Nope, especially as we have players and back ups for most positions. Is it the right thing to do in the current climate? Is it f**k.

Let Callum bring in a couple of decent players, keep the continuity from the second half of last season going and finish 3rd in the league, simples.

Edited by tree house tam

29 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

its mr Van Dyke to you! 

Pretty sure this view is an outlier.  I can’t remember Saints fans I know being this positive about a new season. And we have just lost our manager.

1 minute ago, Bose said:

Pretty sure this view is an outlier.  I can’t remember Saints fans I know being this positive about a new season. And we have just lost our manager.

It's quite strange actually, whilst I think most fans can acknowledge we need a few more bodies coming in and we have just lost our greatest ever manager, there's plenty of reasons to be positive.

I'm looking forward to the new season, new manager, exciting young players on long term contracts, a team that was really starting to play well. We've also lost 1 player who'd added something last season and the rest were utter deadwood who'd never play. Whilst we aren't going to be able to bring 10 new players in, realistically we need 3/4 to replace the outgoings and then we've got a bunch of kids coming back from their first full season in the lower leagues. 

So yeah, lets be positive about what's coming....until we get Celtic first game and lose 7-0 again!

Of the players that have left,

Ralston - replaced by Rooney

Anderson, McMillan and Swanson - two didn't play last season and one restricted to a handful of appearances.

Holt and Wright - Only two really weakening us. Holt possibly wasn't an automatic pick but I think we'll try and sign someone before the end of August to replace him. With Wright, it might come down to what formation Callum wants to play. Suspect we will see another wide player though.

Other than that, cant think of any other players that have left tbh. We have the majority of the squad that finished so well last season. Don't think in influx of players is needed, nor to be expected at this moment.

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

It's quite strange actually, whilst I think most fans can acknowledge we need a few more bodies coming in and we have just lost our greatest ever manager, there's plenty of reasons to be positive.

I'm looking forward to the new season, new manager, exciting young players on long term contracts, a team that was really starting to play well. We've also lost 1 player who'd added something last season and the rest were utter deadwood who'd never play. Whilst we aren't going to be able to bring 10 new players in, realistically we need 3/4 to replace the outgoings and then we've got a bunch of kids coming back from their first full season in the lower leagues. 

So yeah, lets be positive about what's coming....until we get Celtic first game and lose 7-0 again!

I'm feeling really positive. We've not needed to bring players in, so we haven't. Others are having to fill the jerseys and much of it seems to be rotating players around teams. No team looks in better shape than at the end of last season and there may well be some that end up weaker when we start playing again. Hibs, Dundee United, Aberdeen all have assets that they might struggle to hold on to. 

TW has left CD with have a dozen excellent players, another 8 or so good players and broadly speaking the remaining players 'good enough' and/or developing. Looking at how we finished last year with this team (2nd on form in the division) and taking into account that no other team has significantly strengthened we've surely got to be aiming for Europe again, and certainly top 6. 

Brown jokes about only needing 11 players but you only really need a big squad if you're playing a lot of games or want to be in a position to rest players because you know you'll have big fixtures. This year we won't be playing league cup games so it's even fewer fixtures than normal. 

If we can replace Wright with a winger and a central midfielder we're good to go. We absolutely do not need another 9 bodies in the squad. )This opinion may change after an unprecedented Heart of Midlothian style injury plague). 

16 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Butcher's loan ended.  

Butcher was really signed as a stop gap replacement for the injured Murray Davidson.Holt did not get much game time as Ali McCann had taken his position.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

13 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Butcher was really signed as a stop gap replacement for the injured Murray Davidson.Holt did not get much game time as Ali McCann had taken his position.

Don't think Butcher was signed as a replacement for Davidson at all, he's a totally different type of player. Whilst Davidson was injured, we had enough cover available and had done for the entire season, think he was brought in as he was a very good player and with a view to the next season as well.

15 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Well yes, but still a player we had at the end of last year we don't have now. 

Interested to see where Jason Holt ends up next. 

After the success of Ali McCann it would make sense to give the youngsters a chance to impress aswell.

No point spending some money on a player only to find you've got a better one already at the club, then find you've not got enough money to get a quality player who appears later on in the window.

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Who are all these marvellous youngsters we have coming back? And where do they play? Centre midfield is my biggest worry 

Is there any point in discussing this with you? 

Feels like you'll just slate it regardless.

I genuinely want to know. I know we had Ballantyne at Montrose and maybe someone at cove? John Robertson? But can’t remember who else. Do we have an centre midfielders ready to play? We can’t go into the season with only 3 

The way Saints do business I'm not surprised we've not signed anyone yet. 

We never do business early. Why is this a shock?

It's very likely the club will hold off till they have an idea when they'll be getting punters through the door. That also allows them to  know our budget better but also potentially pick up some decent players who have yet to find a club due to current situation who previously would have been out our budget but willing to take a lower wage to get back playing. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.