Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf it's not as if they're unknowns.

Fox is perennially shite and you'll spend all season hoping he doesnt play.

Lamie was back up at Livingston.

O'Hara will never be more than a "useful option" to just batter about midfield, and is unlikely to ever be a meaningful player over the course of a season. Paying a fee for him is mental. 

Jordan White similar to our spell of signing a big huddy target man to play 5 minutes when you're losing. He couldnt bag double figures for a team 2and in the Championship.

Nathan McGinley ?

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Nathan McGinley ?

I wouldnt be happy if we replaced any of Booth, Tanser, McCart, Gordon or Kerr with someone who was in out an EFL League Two side.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I wonder if Tommy Wright will get another job?

The perception over his style of football and not giving youth a chance seems to be spread wide and far.

Factor in his age (isn't fashionable to appoint older managers these days), I just have a gut feeling we may not see him managing again.

I can see him taking something over near home and living out a happy fulfilling life.

Let's face it you can never come close to managing St Johnstone FC. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldnt be happy if we replaced any of Booth, Tanser, McCart, Gordon or Kerr with someone who was in out an EFL League Two side.

Ok fair enough, personally I think there are plenty of players in the English lower leagues more than capable of stepping up to Scottish Premiership level ( it’s not that high a level), you just need to pick the right players. We have had a number of players come from the English lower  levels and below who have done well, Moult came from none league as one example. A number of last seasons team that finished third were the same. Regarding the other players Fox did have a poor season at Thistle but is fine as a number two, Lamie was a regular at Livi before indeed losing his place, he may or may not work out. White I personally have my doubts about, he may chip in with a few goals but won’t be setting the division on fire. O’Hara is a very good signing in my view and will only get better, he’s still young and improving.

I wonder if he’ll maybe offer his assistance to the national team anyway. Even if it’s just as a coach, his experience is always going to be helpful. Thinking about to, I would generally agree, unless he’s offered an amazing job that he can’t turn down either because of the club or the money, it’ll be a team in Ireland that gets his managerial prowess next. I don’t think he’ll appear in Scotland as a manger again, have never thought he would to be honest. As others have said he’s got this reputation for being a dinosaur, who plays long ball football, fills a team with 6 foot + players that are all journeymen and older. That stigma could literally not be any further from the truth and does him a massive disservice.

Just now, Yorky said:

Ok fair enough, personally I think there are plenty of players in the English lower leagues more than capable of stepping up to Scottish Premiership level ( it’s not that high a level), you just need to pick the right players. We have had a number of players come from the English lower  levels and below who have done well, Moult came from none league as one example. A number of last seasons team that finished third were the same. Regarding the other players Fox did have a poor season at Thistle but is fine as a number two, Lamie was a regular at Livi before indeed losing his place, he may or may not work out. White I personally have my doubts about, he may chip in with a few goals but won’t be setting the division on fire. O’Hara is a very good signing in my view and will only get better, he’s still young and improving.

A lot of words to admit @The Marly was right, m8.

16 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

I've not had a season ticket for a decade since moving to Glasgow. I'll be supporting the club and taking an east stand seat. Is Saints TV reliable in terms of streaming stability etc?

Honestly. As someone who had a season ticket last year but was not able to make it to games, I paid for the international sub and watched there. It was ok but they are going to have to up their game a bit here.

There was a few weeks it was just simply goosed, supposedly the providers fault, bit other games with that provider were up, on one occasion when it was down on saints TV it was up on VIPbox, so not sure how that works.

May of been the way I was accessing but. For me though what is most noticeable is watching an away game on the same platform the picture is always much smoother and crisper than anything streamed from McD. Add in extra traffic and they need to make sure the infrastructure is not the bare minimum.

On the whole though it's perfectly serviceable and it's good to have ex players commentating (Callum was a hoot trying not to swear) but if people may need to temper their expectations on pic quality 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

I wonder if he’ll maybe offer his assistance to the national team anyway. Even if it’s just as a coach, his experience is always going to be helpful. Thinking about to, I would generally agree, unless he’s offered an amazing job that he can’t turn down either because of the club or the money, it’ll be a team in Ireland that gets his managerial prowess next. I don’t think he’ll appear in Scotland as a manger again, have never thought he would to be honest. As others have said he’s got this reputation for being a dinosaur, who plays long ball football, fills a team with 6 foot + players that are all journeymen and older. That stigma could literally not be any further from the truth and does him a massive disservice.

Don’t see this bit about 6 foot+ players. Often when we lined up before the hand shake bit we looked to me much smaller compared to the opposition.

Honestly. As someone who had a season ticket last year but was not able to make it to games, I paid for the international sub and watched there. It was ok but they are going to have to up their game a bit here.
There was a few weeks it was just simply goosed, supposedly the providers fault, bit other games with that provider were up, on one occasion when it was down on saints TV it was up on VIPbox, so not sure how that works.
May of been the way I was accessing but. For me though what is most noticeable is watching an away game on the same platform the picture is always much smoother and crisper than anything streamed from McD. Add in extra traffic and they need to make sure the infrastructure is not the bare minimum.
On the whole though it's perfectly serviceable and it's good to have ex players commentating (Callum was a hoot trying not to swear) but if people may need to temper their expectations on pic quality 

Same situation and same issues as you, but would add as well that I ended up watching several games without sound because the commentary was so out of sync as to make it unwatchable. Goal being yelled 10 seconds early while the ball was still on the wing for instance.

9 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I wonder if Tommy Wright will get another job?

The perception over his style of football and not giving youth a chance seems to be spread wide and far.

Factor in his age (isn't fashionable to appoint older managers these days), I just have a gut feeling we may not see him managing again.

Neil Warnock just got the Middlesbrough job. 

3 minutes ago, City Jacobite said:

Shocked at County.  

Ross County just sold their best young player, and one of the most promising youngsters in the Country, for £35k.

They signed Oli Shaw for £100k.

They have almost zero interest in youth development.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ross County just sold their best young player, and one of the most promising youngsters in the Country, for £35k.

They signed Oli Shaw for £100k.

They have almost zero interest in youth development.

£100k for Ollie Shaw!!!! Really.  He hardly played.  Is he still there?

1 minute ago, City Jacobite said:

£100k for Ollie Shaw!!!! Really.  He hardly played.  Is he still there?

Aye, stuck behind 31yo Billy McKay.

They had another young striker, Joel MacBeath, who pretty much ragdolled every youth level. Went on loan to Montrose last season and averaged a goal every 220 minutes, in his first season of senior football.

Ross County released him this Summer.

Also, is it just me who doesnt agree with this "get him shooting from anywhere again" plan that both TW and now Davidson have come out with in regards to May?

Hes not scored as much, but last season he still had his best goalscoring season since he left us, while also looking like a far more well rounded striker.

If hes playing with Hendry up front then I'd rather see them two trying to link than May just having potshots.

I admit I might be picking up what they're actually meaning wrong though.

Also, is it just me who doesnt agree with this "get him shooting from anywhere again" plan that both TW and now Davidson have come out with in regards to May?
Hes not scored as much, but last season he still had his best goalscoring season since he left us, while also looking like a far more well rounded striker.
If hes playing with Hendry up front then I'd rather see them two trying to link than May just having potshots.
I admit I might be picking up what they're actually meaning wrong though.

I think it’s more a confidence reference. I don’t think they mean they want him smashing shots from 40 yards every time. When he was playing the first time round with us, he was confident and brave on the ball and willing to have a go when the opportunity was right, not from miles out (the majority of the time).

Reading the Aberdeen thread, there's a supporter who seems to be very in the know, or at the very least a great bullshitter, who reckons McKenna is definitely going to be sold this summer, and that McLennan, Anderson and Wright will be loaned out.

Would the Dons be looking our way for a potential replacement for McKenna?

And would any of those three  players be of interest to us as stop gaps?  All three are attacking or wide players, and loans might be a sensible option to fill the squad out a bit if we're keen to keep costs down for the first half of the season.. 

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Reading the Aberdeen thread, there's a supporter who seems to be very in the know, or at the very least a great bullshitter, who reckons McKenna is definitely going to be sold this summer, and that McLennan, Anderson and Wright will be loaned out.

Would the Dons be looking our way for a potential replacement for McKenna?

And would any of those three  players be of interest to us as stop gaps?  All three are attacking or wide players, and loans might be a sensible option to fill the squad out a bit if we're keen to keep costs down for the first half of the season.. 

Are you insuating that Liam Gordon would actually want to wear a shitey red strip? Not on my watch Paulo, not on my watch.