Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I actually thought it was a decent article by Steve Brown standards.

It's good to hear the club philosophy is about youth development, and also that the plan remains to loan out young players to get major game time in the lower tiers as part of their "pathway" into the first team. It might sound a bit underwhelming but shit like this could convince a few parents reading that their kids will be well served at St Johnstone and given a real chance.

I suppose that this interview helps to support/explain the (misguided I think) enthusiasm for a colts set-up. 

Will be interesting to see what a new manager makes of it all. TW had obviously seen a lot of the development of the youth talent we currently have. 

Sounds like any new manager isn't likely to be allowed signings (or no more than one) until we're in the clear as far as the virus goes. Seems sensible. We might miss out on a 'bargain' signing or two but the fundamentals of the team we finished last year with are there and I can't see many others strengthening dramatically. 

15 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I suppose that this interview helps to support/explain the (misguided I think) enthusiasm for a colts set-up. 

It's a bit confusing as hes gone from wanting an entire division of Colts, to saying he doesnt understand their worth to St Johnstone and far prefers a loan system, within a week.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

It's a bit confusing as hes gone from wanting an entire division of Colts, to saying he doesnt understand their worth to St Johnstone and far prefers a loan system, within a week.

Yeah I thought that too, but I expect he realises that the colts thing is a pipe dream so no point in supporting it. Loans are a much better option in any case. 

Maybe the answer to how he thinks we could afford a colts team would be that we'd not be signing experienced pros. 

There's obvious financial merit (and other advantages) to 'growing your own' but bringing experience from other clubs and leagues is also very valuable. Hope we don't swing too far in one direction. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He reads Pie and Bovril. 

Monday is going to be some day for St Johnstone fans.

New manager announced, players back in training, new signing announced.

Imagine if they announce season tickets and kits on the same day aswell.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Monday is going to be some day for St Johnstone fans.

New manager announced, players back in training, new signing announced.

Imagine if they announce season tickets and kits on the same day aswell.

Cellland announced, slightly different blue/block logo and Rooney still not confirmed and you have the perfect trifecta for a Saints fans Monday meltdown 😂 

Although thinking about it, it's more likely to be absolutely zero announcement that causes a meltdown. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Just now, Dick Van Dyke said:

I hope to god we are not paying Millwall money for Callum 

Article states he's got a release clause, but given how Gary Rowatt said he wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to become a manager I don't think there's any compensation. 

BBC saying Davidson will be announced tomorrow. Really pleased with that - I like a first time manager coming in, but also knows the club, staff and most of the current players. 

22 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I hope to god we are not paying Millwall money for Callum 

Screenshot_20200617-160807_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7789f1dcdd3b3517053512188938af92.jpg

Dont know what that actually means tbh, but it sounds like its next to nothing.

Happy with the appointment, this is a time for familiarity and continuity, not blowing things up and trying to start again.

Unless CD has a clause that allows him to leave if he's offered a managerial job, surely Millwall will want something for him? Especially after last time when we charged them for the useless figurehead of the managerial team in Steve Lomas and kept Tommy.

Delighted that it's Callum. The right appointment. There's never any guarantees over a managerial appointment so we'll have to wait and see if it works out or not, but certainly can't fault the decision here.

And Steve Broon has done what Steve Broon does.. getting Millwall and the government to pay his wages right up until when we start training, magnificent work.

I'm not one to get carried away at times like this, but with the talented young squad we have plus the right couple of additions, and with no old firm crowd advantage until Xmas, this will probably be the season St Johnstone come closest to the Premiership title in many of our lifetimes...