Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Always sad to see our so called better players leave but at the end of the day, like in the past, it's never stopped us in our tracks and we never look back as a club but often the player does ( swanson, Craig etc). Thanks for the service Drey, hopefully another youngster is ready to grab the opportunity and kick on.

Steven Lawless released by Livingston.

In normal times he'd be someone I'd like us to sign, especially with Wright leaving. Can play either wing, as a winger or wing back.

So I guess we're now in a position to fully assess the squad now that all the contract issues are sorted one way or another.

St Johnstone 2020/21

Goalkeepers

1: Zander Clark (27) - 2022

12: Elliot Parish (29) - 2021

45: Ross Sinclair (19) - 2021

Defenders

2: Wallace Duffy (21) - 2021

3: Scott Tanser (25) - 2021

4: Jamie McCart (22) - 2022

15: Jason Kerr (23) - 2022

23: Liam Gordon (24) - 2021

24: Callum Booth (28) - January 2021

N/A: Shaun Rooney (23) - 20??

Midfielders

10: David Wotherspoon (30) - 2021

17: Michael O'Halloran (29) - 2021

8: Murray Davidson (32) - 2021

18: Ali McCann (20) - 2023

26: Liam Craig (33) - January 2021

38: Cammy Ballantyne (20) - 20??

49: Oliver Hamilton (18) - 20??

Strikers

9: Chris Kane (25) - January 2021

14: Stevie May (27) - 2021

22: Callum Hendry (22) - 2022

43: John Robertson (18) - 20??

50: Jordan Northcott (18) - 20??

I think Northcott, Robertson and Hamilton can play on the wings or up top. In terms of new signings, it's clear we'll need at least one wide player. We can't go into a new season without replacing Wright, Kennedy and Swanson. It may be that the budget will only stretch far enough to sign one player in that position but I think we definitely need someone in there. In an ideal world we could probably use a central midfielder too but I don't think that's quite as pressing as the winger. Steven Lawless looks like an ideal fit in terms of where he plays. Getting either Butcher or Holt in again would be good.

Given who we have signed up, I think we're probably getting most of our experienced/best players in a 3-5-2

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Wotherspoon Davidson/Craig Tanser

Hendry May

Edited by Kyle

29 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

You have next to no chance of getting Lawless, he'll be away to a team far above what we can pay and what St Johnstone can pay. He'll end up at Hearts/Dundee Utd/Hibs/Aberdeen

St Mirren fans claimed this before we signed Nigel Hasselbaink, tbf.

On 01/06/2020 at 11:30, Kyle said:

I might be on my own here but the colour of the seats inside the stadium really don't bother me. It barely even registers as a thing in my head.

I reckon the Rooney signing might be announced today. We've known about it for months obviously but one of his pals has randomly asked Saints if we are announcing a signing today on twitter.

Unless of course the deal is off and it's a pass agg tweet.

ICT have announced Rooney has now officially left them to join us, so guess we might get confirmation at our end soon.

Has the club ever actually acknowledged the Rooney signing? I see on Twitter Robert Thomson saying don’t expect a new manager any time soon. A month to the day since tommy left and not a word from the club about even looking for someone 

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Has the club ever actually acknowledged the Rooney signing? I see on Twitter Robert Thomson saying don’t expect a new manager any time soon. A month to the day since tommy left and not a word from the club about even looking for someone 

Wright spoke about him in an article a while back and Cleland is saying he hopes he’s as success as McCart has been in today‘s courier. 

I don’t think there’s much point in really pushing for a manager right now to be honest. That’s an extra wage we can really do without given we’re not even able to train yet and the games are still 2 months away at the very least. 

Robert Thomson also suggests Drey Wright was earning above the squad average...

... while ranting about him not getting a new contract. He simultaneously talks about how expensive the Covid testing will be that they require to start the new season.

The suggestion that it was a mistake Wright was let go, and his "stats dont matter because he was finding form after his injury" falls down when you realise he spent as much time injured with us as on the pitch. 

He was just as likely to pick up a season ending injury as find season defining form if he got a new deal.

Edited by RandomGuy.

... while ranting about him not getting a new contract. He simultaneously talks about how expensive the Covid testing will be that they require to start the new season.
The suggestion that it was a mistake Wright was let go, and his "stats dont matter because he was finding form after his injury" falls down when you realise he spent as much time injured with us as on the pitch. 
He was just as likely to pick up a season ending injury as find season defining form if he got a new deal.
Shock that he's negative. Think his nose out of joint since access not as it once was up at the stadium.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shock that he's negative. Think his nose out of joint since access not as it once was up at the stadium.

EXACTLY. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I replied then went back to read the entire Twitter thread.

it didn't read as "ranting" to me - just having a conversation with Kyle about his thoughts regarding when we offer contracts at Saints.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He looks desperate for Saints to fail now.  I guessed I had missed something and perthsaint1977 post confirms it but those tweets are heading towards Tom English levels of pettiness. 

51 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Sky selling virtual season tickets and the league is expected to return in August.

Sounds good, how does that fit in with Saints TV though?  Which on the whole offers a better deal in that you can get home and away fixtures for most games for your subscription.

Saints TV doesn't (officially) allow live streaming within the UK and Ireland. It also seems it will be clubs selling these, not Sky themselves, so may end up being Saints TV in some form.

I suspect it'll be bundled with regular season tickets for when attendance is allowed again in some way.

10 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I haven't had a season ticket for a decade. I'll be buying one of these virtual ones though.

Could be that they can sell virtual tickets for individual matches as well. A home game against the old firm would probably have tens of thousands wanting to watch the game and I'd imagine the home clubs will hold their own rights.

52 minutes ago, csteinle said:

Saints TV doesn't (officially) allow live streaming within the UK and Ireland. It also seems it will be clubs selling these, not Sky themselves, so may end up being Saints TV in some form.

I suspect it'll be bundled with regular season tickets for when attendance is allowed again in some way.

That would be an entirely sensible thing to do. I'd happily pay what I usually pay for a season ticket to be honest, although appreciate plenty will probably want to pay less if they can only watch the games virtually.