Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

You don't keep your better players by offering them reduced contracts, COVID-19 or not.
You want to feel a bit let down by the player after everything Saints put into his rehab but you read the words "brutal wage cut" and there's not a lot you can say. 
It's not like we are now looking to replace a barrel of goals or assists but he was a good player and the squad was better for him in it.
Not convinced he'll be a massive loss. Good enough to watch and I'd probably have preferred him to stay but in terms of actual productivity he wasn't all that. More maligned players have given us more in the period he's been at Saints.

2 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
4 hours ago, Radford said:
You don't keep your better players by offering them reduced contracts, COVID-19 or not.
You want to feel a bit let down by the player after everything Saints put into his rehab but you read the words "brutal wage cut" and there's not a lot you can say. 
It's not like we are now looking to replace a barrel of goals or assists but he was a good player and the squad was better for him in it.

Not convinced he'll be a massive loss. Good enough to watch and I'd probably have preferred him to stay but in terms of actual productivity he wasn't all that. More maligned players have given us more in the period he's been at Saints.

I think I agree with this! Since he came back from injury I thought he flattered to deceive, his crossing was often brutal but he always put in a good shift and would have been useful for next year.

Saints offered him a reduced deal a while back which he turned down, they have probably reduced it even further in the current climate and I can understand why he has turned it down. But, I can also understand the reasoning from Saints (at this time, not when it was supposedly first offered).

High earning, under performing winger with serious injury problems isnt offered a deal that sees him as one of the top earners.

Let the meltdowns commence. 

Watching Drey Wright play football is a real pleasure, until you look at the stats. For someone who can beat a man and get into the positions he does, to not have a serious amount of goals or assists is criminal. It may be he becomes a superb player elsewhere, wish him luck but off you pop son.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

High earning, under performing winger with serious injury problems isnt offered a deal that sees him as one of the top earners.

Let the meltdowns commence. 

I’ve read through the Saints fans comments on P&B this morning on Drey Wright. So far all very well considered responses.

Not any  ‘meltdowns’ as you put it or even anything close to one so far.

As the word "brutal" was used in the Daily Ranger, I will be discounting it. I liked Drey as a player, but I don't think he is in the irreplaceable category. Thank him for his efforts and move on.

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’ve read through the Saints fans comments on P&B this morning on Drey Wright. So far all very well considered responses.

Not any  ‘meltdowns’ as you put it or even anything close to one so far.

If you know where to look, you'll already find them.

7 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Linked with Hibs and Bristol City I think? Can’t say I know much about him tbh. Probably just paper talk anyway.

I'd be surprised if he didnt move back to England. 

As others have said, given the choice I’d have kept Wright purely for entertainment value, some of his flicks and tricks were superb and his work rate was excellent.

However, his output in terms of stats was non-existent and isn’t exactly a loss. It may be that he’s replaced by a less exciting player, but one who puts the ball in the net every so often and as such contributes more to the team. Did I like Drey Wright, absolutely I’d go as far as saying I’m possibly one of his biggest fans and I’ll be sad to see him go, but in this instance saints decision and stance is very much justified.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

Has the potential to have a very decent career at Scottish Premiership level, and someone like Aberdeen or Hibs could do worse than take him on.

There’s a massive if with him though, in that he gets in so many good positions and always looks like he’s played well, but his end product lets him down. Worth the gamble for a club with a higher wage budget.

You should be an Agent m8.

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think they just copied the design as it was easier for fans to quickly find their seats when the place sold out (as in, Gate: 3, Section: Red, Row: D, Seat: 15).

That's obviously ridiculous now but at the time probably made sense.

As a Steward when the place opened that was the idea.

Out of interest I was sent this by another poster from here last week and this is how it should look.

100888369_666982833872756_9007354242930835456_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Out of interest I was sent this by another poster from here last week and this is how it should look.

Been looking for a photo of the stadium all blue for years 😂

Sure someone posted it on WAP about a decade ago.

12 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Dont think the Celtic fans would appreciate having to sit on blue seats in those three stands tbf.

I might be on my own here but the colour of the seats inside the stadium really don't bother me. It barely even registers as a thing in my head.

I reckon the Rooney signing might be announced today. We've known about it for months obviously but one of his pals has randomly asked Saints if we are announcing a signing today on twitter.

Unless of course the deal is off and it's a pass agg tweet.

11 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Linked with Hibs and Bristol City I think? Can’t say I know much about him tbh. Probably just paper talk anyway.

Bristol Rovers I read, bit of a difference - and closer to the level he joined us from.

Edited by FrankChickens1

Listening to Sportsound yesterday. 

Circa £2,000 a week, 100k per club covid testing bill just to get training on the 11th says a lot more about why Drey was offered reduced terms than the stats/output he may or may not provide.

We'd need to find that additional money from somewhere. Regardless how good he is we couldn't afford to continue paying him a relatively high wage. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Listening to Sportsound yesterday. 
Circa £2,000 a week, 100k per club covid testing bill just to get training on the 11th says a lot more about why Drey was offered reduced terms than the stats/output he may or may not provide.
We'd need to find that additional money from somewhere. Regardless how good he is we couldn't afford to continue paying him a relatively high wage. 

Now if he actually scored a goal it might be worth worrying about. Thanks and goodbye