Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I understand what you're saying but I dont think extension and furlough is outside the spirit of the legislation, given the industry troubles.

HMRC had far larger fish to fry with little resource before the outbreak.

That said, I trust the Directors judgement.
Government announced from 1 August employers will be paying 20% contribution and government 60%. If clubs are topping up to 100% then I think you have your answer why clubs letting them go.

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:
On 27/05/2020 at 23:41, Fife Saint said:
I understand what you're saying but I dont think extension and furlough is outside the spirit of the legislation, given the industry troubles.

HMRC had far larger fish to fry with little resource before the outbreak.

That said, I trust the Directors judgement.

Government announced from 1 August employers will be paying 20% contribution and government 60%. If clubs are topping up to 100% then I think you have your answer why clubs letting them go.

I’m not really sure it does give him the answer. I’m not saying there might not be a good reason but the furlough scheme changing in August is irrelevant to what’s happening in July.

Still doesn't change the fact it's the job retention scheme when in actual fact we have no intention of retaining them. 

Life is hard if you let it be. Material things like designer clothes, demanding burds, cars and houses mean f**k all in the grand scheme of things.  Choose real life, choose St Johnstone. 

On 27/05/2020 at 23:41, Fife Saint said:

It's a job retention scheme so on the face of it it's clearly outside the spirit of the legislation if you use it with no intention of retaining those players.

Genuine question and I that I don't know the answer to, but as I was bored I thought I'd read the Hearts forum.

Why is it, that all of the posters on there seem to think saints are in some sort of financial trouble, impending administration and would be unable to start playing football again behind closed doors? 

I mean for arguments sake if that were the case, would be currently be signing players up on new contracts, playing all staff their full wage (minus the £2500 furlough a month) or not have released seasons tickets to get some "much needed" cashflow through the door? Or am I just being stupid in thinking we're probably one of the clubs that's best off in all of this and that the reason we aren't voting for Hearts little plans is because we can see they're entirely selfish and not to the benefit of all 41 other teams?

25 minutes ago, Widge said:

Genuine question and I that I don't know the answer to, but as I was bored I thought I'd read the Hearts forum.

Why is it, that all of the posters on there seem to think saints are in some sort of financial trouble, impending administration and would be unable to start playing football again behind closed doors? 

I mean for arguments sake if that were the case, would be currently be signing players up on new contracts, playing all staff their full wage (minus the £2500 furlough a month) or not have released seasons tickets to get some "much needed" cashflow through the door? Or am I just being stupid in thinking we're probably one of the clubs that's best off in all of this and that the reason we aren't voting for Hearts little plans is because we can see they're entirely selfish and not to the benefit of all 41 other teams?

It fits their agenda.  They want to think they have the power to damage other clubs, bring them to their knees so they will agree to their demands.  They saw Saints give three stands to the bigot brothers then added 2+2 but they are that self obsessed they decided not to examine any other evidence so 2+2 became any number they wanted other than 4.

Edited by Bose

I'd love to say it's mainly ignorance but our own chairman hasn't helped the perception with that interview he did a few months ago. 

You just need to look at his quotes: "We're in danger of being hypocrites because we have been outspoken in living within your means. I think our wage bill is the sixth in the league, which is far too high. We can't sustain that. We went for it at the start of the season - we thought we could get into the top six and have a cup run but we just haven't performed and that leaves a huge financial gap and concerns. We have got reserves, so unfortunately this year we will be hitting them in a big way and posting heavy losses, which is not good."

I think our own support have largely come to accept his manner but you can see why stuff like that gets traction. Add in we don't get big crowds and the (financial) decision hand the Old Firm an extra stand. 

Running Saints isn't easy but whilst we retain the cash reserves we do, the club is never in any danger. 

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'd love to say it's mainly ignorance but our own chairman hasn't helped the perception with that interview he did a few months ago. 

Based on this forum, this is the  very reason.

Theres still fans in the Championship/League One forum on here who claim Saints are fucked financially and been spending beyond their means.

Based entirely on Broons wee moan.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The two grass training pitches at the side look to have really taken shape now. Wonder if theres any plans to put any gym facilities etc., there? The stuff inside McDiarmid itself has seemed pretty basic whenever I've seen it.

EZVcV8RWoAYQDDD.thumb.jpeg.b2de9fc2691d47f49eee5d4c4eed9d74.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

What’s the deal with the seat colours? Genuine question - did the seats come from Ibrox mid-90s?

Think they just copied the design as it was easier for fans to quickly find their seats when the place sold out (as in, Gate: 3, Section: Red, Row: D, Seat: 15).

That's obviously ridiculous now but at the time probably made sense.

46 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

What’s the deal with the seat colours? Genuine question - did the seats come from Ibrox mid-90s?

McDiarmid was built in the 80s, so no.

We did however do a deal for some seats for spares I believe. Mainly to replace the ones broken by bigots.

25 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Drey Wright rejects a reduced contract offer. Disappointing.

You don't keep your better players by offering them reduced contracts, COVID-19 or not.

You want to feel a bit let down by the player after everything Saints put into his rehab but you read the words "brutal wage cut" and there's not a lot you can say. 

It's not like we are now looking to replace a barrel of goals or assists but he was a good player and the squad was better for him in it.