Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I know Tam and a few others probably don’t give a f**k, but what is the logic behind this?

Saints surely have a duty to look out for their employees, and if doing so wasn’t going to cost them anything for the next few months, then surely a no brainer to keep them on for the next few months at least? 

Reminds me of a time when the company I worked for volunteered to deduct Poll Tax from employees who refused to pay it, with no compulsion for them to do it. I'm talking about the Eighties. There's talk about some HMRC complication over the current thing from the Ross County sugar daddy, but nobody's said what it is.

Edited by welshbairn

Whilst saints probably could and should have helped Danny our in this instance. Saints have bailed him out numerous times in his career already and he should possibly remember that if he goes down the route of criticising the club, which he hasn’t done yet.

Dunfermline, Ross County and QOS have all been given advice that the HMRC will find clubs an "easy target" when it comes to trying to get money back via misuse of the furlough scheme.

No idea how much truth is in that as I dont know exactly how the furlough scheme works in terms of fixed term contracts expiring, but presumably they're worried the furlough scheme is only for employees who face unemployment due to Covid not allowing them to do their job, while players like Swanson, technically now the season is over, arent being prevented from doing their job.

I dont think it's right the players are now left without a wage and unlikely to get a new club, but itll be interesting to see if anyone can clear the situation up, as more and more clubs seem to he going down this route.

I've been skint and homeless before, it's not nice.  Character building so it is.

There is doubt about the furlough scheme for certain businesses, I think they're being unclear/vague about what is acceptable for a reason,  remember it's a tory fucking government in charge, they're going to either kill us or bugger us dry.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dunfermline, Ross County and QOS have all been given advice that the HMRC will find clubs an "easy target" when it comes to trying to get money back via misuse of the furlough scheme.

Whit? Who's said this?

I'll happily be corrected (as long as it isn't by @RandomGuy.) but I think the most Saints could do is extend them for a month as once the window opens in July, the minimum term of a contract is until the next window opens in January. Is that not the case? 

Clearly clubs can't dish out six-month contracts to players they don't want/can't afford when the furlough scheme is only guaranteed until October.

It's up to clubs to answer why they haven't taken the one-month option. They will have their reasons, whether that being a worry over having to pay money back or even being excluded from any extension of the scheme if they've been seen to abuse it. There will be reasons though, they aren't just doing this to be evil.

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'll happily be corrected (as long as it isn't by @RandomGuy.) but I think the most Saints could do is extend them for a month as once the window opens in July, the minimum term of a contract is until the next window opens in January. Is that not the case? 

On 24/04/2020 at 01:44, Skyline Drifter said:

As I already said on this thread, under current SPFL rules you cannot do 'rolling monthly contracts'. The 1st time they sign one after 9th June it has to run to 1st January. Thats minimum length.

The SPFL is going to have to amend its rules if we are to allow rolling extensions.

On 24/04/2020 at 08:27, Skyline Drifter said:

You can offer ONE short term deal before the existing one runs out. You would need to decide at that point whether to make it one month, two months or whatever other date you want. To extend it after 9th June it would need to run to 1st Jan.

I tend to agree though that rules should be changed temporarily to allow it. That would need yet another club vote though.

Skyline Drifter seems to be the authority on these things.

I've not read your post properly but worth quoting his so the rules are clear for anyone coming on the thread.

More than likely given 6 months to impress the new manager. Not sure he’d be welcomed back by our fans either If he reappeared.

Always amazes me how he seems to completely burn bridges with every club.

Him and his gob shite of a wife are well suited.

On the furlough debate I think the title of scheme  is the "Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme". it is being abused especially by some of the larger companies BA for example who are publicly stating they will make thousands redundant when it ends, so this may be where the confusion comes in, initially everyone seemed to jump on it! I suppose as McGregor has said if you have no intention of reemploying a person how can you use a Job retention Scheme? 

Crap for players out of contract and being released. It happens every year. Like every year players play their current club by hinting and saying they want to stay etc but as soon as bigger offer comes they are out the door before you can say boo. Clubs need to take it on the chin so bit rich players now slating clubs

Knowing saints hierarchy as I do, they will definitely have looked at this matter in full ( one thing that cannot be aimed at saints is never looking after their players) and there will be a good reason we have released players.
Saints have paid every player in full since this situation arose up to end of June ( albeit government scheme has paid a part but saints have topped up rest)
Stan Harris confirmed this on national radio in April.

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

What goods a screenshot you daft Fife c**t? 

https://www.raithrovers.net/44203/squad-update.htm

This will give all our players who contributed to our successful Ladbrokes SPFL League 1 campaign last season the security of employment over the next 2 months while the government’s Job Retention scheme is continuing.

There is little prospect of football being played in the Ladbrokes SPFL Championship before August 2020. No decisions have yet been made about re-signing any of our players, but this will have to be done in August.

The club will have taken advice on this and they'll have been told not to extend contracts of players they have no intention of keeping. From what Swanson (and Harris) has said, we've furloughed the players and then topped up the remainder of their wages - it may be as simple as not wanting to have some getting 100% of their pay and others getting just the 80% from the scheme?

Why clubs are acting differently I'm not entirely sure, clearly someone is wrong or the clubs giving players short term extensions are happy to take whatever the hit is and those releasing players aren't.

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

The club will have taken advice on this and they'll have been told not to extend contracts of players they have no intention of keeping. From what Swanson (and Harris) has said, we've furloughed the players and then topped up the remainder of their wages - it may be as simple as not wanting to have some getting 100% of their pay and others getting just the 80% from the scheme?

Why clubs are acting differently I'm not entirely sure, clearly someone is wrong or the clubs giving players short term extensions are happy to take whatever the hit is and those releasing players aren't.

Roy MacGregor at Ross County is a wealthy man and also a employer of a vast workforce out with  Ross county! I would imagine he is someone who has taken the best of legal advice available and come to his decision I would put The Browns in the same category. Advice we at my company have received on the subject from our accountants/banks/insurance brokers are all leaning to a "be very careful " warning on furlough and it will be investigated in the "years to come", there has been a large scale of abuse to the system but the initial priority has been to get the money paid out, transparency and legality's of the pay out will come later?         

Roy MacGregor at Ross County is a wealthy man and also a employer of a vast workforce out with  Ross county! I would imagine he is someone who has taken the best of legal advice available and come to his decision I would put The Browns in the same category. Advice we at my company have received on the subject from our accountants/banks/insurance brokers are all leaning to a "be very careful " warning on furlough and it will be investigated in the "years to come", there has been a large scale of abuse to the system but the initial priority has been to get the money paid out, transparency and legality's of the pay out will come later?         

That’s the way I’m looking at it, I’d imagine some of the players would’ve been aware for some time their contracts weren’t getting renewed also.

I understand what you're saying but I dont think extension and furlough is outside the spirit of the legislation, given the industry troubles.

HMRC had far larger fish to fry with little resource before the outbreak.

That said, I trust the Directors judgement.