Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

So we have 21 signed players with 2 more still considering contract extensions. Not much wiggle room for a new manager to bring in their own players this summer at this rate.

Maybe the potential new manager already knows the vast majority of the players? 

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I imagine if he had behaved Foster would have been given another year with you guys too.

Shame.

Foster would have been the oldest player in the squad, i imagine he'd have been replaced by Rooney this summer in any case.

I imagine if he had behaved Foster would have been given another year with you guys too.
Shame.

More than likely given 6 months to impress the new manager. Not sure he’d be welcomed back by our fans either If he reappeared.

Always amazes me how he seems to completely burn bridges with every club.

Just now, Johnstoun said:

Foster would have been the oldest player in the squad, i imagine he'd have been replaced by Rooney this summer in any case.

Rooney may not have been signed if Foster was still there though.

Likely worked out better for you guys if Rooney can make the step up.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Rooney may not have been signed if Foster was still there though.

Likely worked out better for you guys if Rooney can make the step up.

Possibly not, but it fits the profile of the manager reducing the age of the squad. Craig apart we've got the best part of a team we could run with for another 3 seasons.

So we have 21 signed players with 2 more still considering contract extensions. Not much wiggle room for a new manager to bring in their own players this summer at this rate.
I see where you're coming from, but there's a lot of quality/proven players at this level in our squad married to some good young players who could make the club a lot of money. Good situation for the new man in the current climate.

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, Kyle said:

I see where you're coming from, but there's a lot of quality/proven players at this level in our squad married to some good young players who could make the club a lot of money. Good situation for the new man in the current climate.

I dont think thats the kind of streaming service thas being discussed

11 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

Possibly not, but it fits the profile of the manager reducing the age of the squad. Craig apart we've got the best part of a team we could run with for another 3 seasons.

That's fair enough. I'm just playing Devil's advocate with him getting binned from County.

More than likely given 6 months to impress the new manager. Not sure he’d be welcomed back by our fans either If he reappeared.

Always amazes me how he seems to completely burn bridges with every club.
At least we know the divorce will be an entertaining one

45 minutes ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Absolutely. I think it probably gives us a clue of the kind of manager we're getting as well. It'll either be someone who knows the club and players well @Bose suggested earlier or someone with a similar mindset as Tommy Wright (which I suppose Robertson confirmed in any case). I've really liked our recruitment process since Coyle - other than Wright, no obvious shouts - so hopefully club can pull another rabbit out of the hat.

I think I'll die a little inside if we appoint someone like Paul Hartley or John Hughes.

I appreciate that it all adds up but I think the young players in the squad can be looked at both ways: it gives us the numbers but equally leaves room for a new manager to tweak, although that's all it will be. Cleland said he thinks it's important that the message is we retain guys that do well for us, that will be made clear to any new manager.

Owen Coyle was given a blank canvas because we were out of ideas but even he ended up retaining guys (Sheerin, Rutkiewicz) he'd told could leave and since then, the mantra of the past 15 years has been consistency. 

Contacts will be a priority for any new manager but it'll be to add well when required, not so they can tear everything up for the sake of bringing in their own men. That's an expensive way of operating and usually for little reward. I think that was a big part of the reason that Paul Cook ended up not taking the job. 

Knowing exactly what you'll get from players is very important. 

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Some of the 21are still very young. I wiould say that we have 16 first team players plus five kids.If Wright and Muzz do re-sign that would bring us up to eighteen.We will probably only then have room for another two or three 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

Never got the impression Foster would be a good influence in this dressing room.

Hes clearly a hard worker and doesnt accept poor performances, which might be a positive, but he always seemed to just bully young players around him. Some of the stuff he used to scream at Craig Thomson was just pointless.

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Some of the 21are still very young. I wiould say that we have 16 first team players plus five kids.If Wright and Muzz do re-sign that would bring us up to eighteen.We will probably only then have room for another two or three 

Fair enough Hamilton, Robertson and Northcott are only 18 but Ballantyne is just a few months younger than Ali McCann. It'll be interesting to see what we do with him as it seems more than possible there wont be any loans available if the lower leagues are mothballed as has been suggested.

Seems a bit off to me, Danny was asked about Roy McGregor saying it was against the spirit of the scheme. I dont think it was, most of these guys would gave picked up a contract at a club before the Covid impact, to varying lengths and values. They wont now due to the circumstances.

The risks of a seasonal fixed term contract I suppose but I dont think it was against the spirit of the scheme.

Have the SFA/SPFL announced any special measures in this regard for player registration windows etc, given the uncertainty?