Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Wee Euan from Crieff is a wide player.

As in O'Reilly?

Now I know that it's not a fair measure of judging players, but 3 senior games for a 20 year old doesn't strike confidence he'd be ready for the first team and top flight. Then again this may need to be the way saints go down now, more young lads and get them as much exposure as we can and hope a few can swim and not sink.

That being said I think the age group below that under 17s have a number of very good players who are promising and hopefully that can transfer to first team players.

25 minutes ago, Widge said:

As in O'Reilly?

Now I know that it's not a fair measure of judging players, but 3 senior games for a 20 year old doesn't strike confidence he'd be ready for the first team and top flight. Then again this may need to be the way saints go down now, more young lads and get them as much exposure as we can and hope a few can swim and not sink.

That being said I think the age group below that under 17s have a number of very good players who are promising and hopefully that can transfer to first team players.

I quite like O'Reilly, he's had a bit of time out injured but has always looked decent and very direct. There's obviously a very big step up to first team level and there's always the chance he'd be another Thompson. Get him In before we punt him, could be another McCann.

11 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Not fussed about Wright signing up again. I'm sure the wages could be put to better use.

Nah I'd try and keep Wright, appreciate that he's probably on the high side of our wage bill, but I really like him as a player. Does he contribute enough in terms of goals and assists, no. His work rate and application is second to none and his pace is always an out ball if he gets going. Plus you just need to look at how utterly dominant he was against Greg Taylor in the cup to see how good he can be. Celtic fans pretty much wanted rid of Taylor after his display, which was totally down to Wright since the same Taylor had the freedom of the pitch in the league game. 

I can understand why folk wouldn't be fussed, but he's entertaining and at the end of the day I'd much rather watch someone like Wright trying little flicks and nutmegging folk, than go back to watching a boring defensive option in front of a fullback. 

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I quite like O'Reilly, he's had a bit of time out injured but has always looked decent and very direct. There's obviously a very big step up to first team level and there's always the chance he'd be another Thompson. Get him In before we punt him, could be another McCann.

Fair enough, you probably have a better handle on it than me. I agree with the play them and see option. There's no harm in having a couple of the kids on the bench, giving them 15/20 minutes over the course of a few games to try and force their way into a starting spot for a run in the team and ultimately if they're not up to it, then we jettison them. Put it this way, the youngsters can't be any more of a passenger in games than Gary MacDonald and Lee Croft (second spell) and that never stopped us winning games of football.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

*Scottish cup winner Gary McDonald

Aye and his 15 minute cameo is as unforgettable as his entire saints career, bar 1 goal!

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

If it wasn't for Gary McDonald we wouldn't have won the cup, IMO.

It was funny, watching the cup final again I forgot how good James Dunne actually was. Now should we have broken the bank for him, not in the slightest, but he's the kind of combative midfielder who'd have been well at home at saints. The fact he was up against Paul Paton in that final, just showed how much better a player he was than PP who we'd eventually sign. Gary MacDonald was just the quintessential nothing player, he also had that annoying habit of letting a throw in roll across his body for some reason and would inevitably have it taken off him and we'd be broken on. 

Also totally forgot that Paton had a shocker of a two footed tackle in that game and was lucky Thompson was having a lenient day!

I'd have Drey Wright ahead of Rooney, tbh.

From the limited views of Rooney I've had he seems prone to falling asleep a bit and getting caught up the park, I'd have infinitely more belief in Wright helping out in that situation than either Wotherspoon or MOH, for differing reasons.

We've pretty much got a solid squad already in place if those offered deals extend

GK: Clark, Parish

RB: Rooney, Duffy

CB: Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Duffy

LB: Booth, Tanser

RM: Wright, MOH

CM: Davidson, Craig, McCann

LM: Wotherspoon, MOH

ST: May, Hendry, Kane

Worst comes to the worst in terms of money and we just need a central midfield option, and probably another option on the wing, and that's a squad you could realistically run with if you dont suffer multiple major injuries.

Edited by RandomGuy.

51 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Last minute winner v Morton as well which the Morton fans are still raging about as well as the more famous one in Kirkcaldy. 

What a boy :wub:

I reckon the goal at Raith ended up being a bit more important, what a finish it was as well! Was not keen on him at all but cant take the quality of that finish away from him!

9 hours ago, tree house tam said:

He certainly has tbe potential and I'm sure he would have been close to the first team by now if it hadn't been for those two bad injuries.....And he's from Auchterarder 

1 hour ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

He certainly has tbe potential and I'm sure he would have been close to the first team by now if it hadn't been for those two bad injuries.....And he's from Auchterarder 

Aye, I know. One shitehole blends into another for me.

3 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

What kind of player is he? 

Seems to have been talked about for a while.

Could be a good time for younger players at Saints. An established, small, squad to learn from and slowly be blended into, and league season which might be the weakest in a league time.

Could be a good time for younger players at Saints. An established, small, squad to learn from and slowly be blended into, and league season which might be the weakest in a league time.
Old fashioned winger I think.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A winger/Wide  midfielder.He has a very good touch and has a a bit of pace too.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee