Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'm going to stick my neck out and say theres zero chance of Cleland being in charge when next season starts.

Will be a bit of brass neck coming from me, but I'm not liking the way the Perth journalists (Thomson, Bannerman, Nicolson) are acting around this.

Theyve stirred up the Saints support into a state of hate against the club/Brown just now instead of appreciating what TW actually done. I dont think any of them have written an article which isnt entirely designed to create a explosive headline and stir up ill feeling towards a club which might end up needing to rely on the fans at some point this year.

Even if they're right I dont think it's the right time to be creating that atmosphere, say the club does end up hitting financial issues, will this campaign to paint the club as forcing away a legend impact on the amount of people who will contribute/amount they will contribute? How is creating that atmosphere helpful in the slightest when trying to recover from the loss of your greatest ever manager?

Suppose that's just how journalism is though, but it doesn't feel right. We dont even have an appreciation thread on our club forum for him, the thread has literally mentioned Kirsten Robertson being the reason TW left and how the club have fucked up more than praising him.

Edited by RandomGuy.

You know what RandomGuy, it’s not often I’ll agree with a post word for word, especially one written by you. However you’ve hit the nail on the head, Tommy knew he was leaving 6/7/8 months ago, this was always his last season. A lesser man would have quit when we were bottom of the league, but he hauled us to top 6 once again. He had known he wanted to leave before Kirsten Robertson set foot in the door. It was the constantly being away from his family, his friends, his home. The 24/7 nature of the job, he feels it’s a younger mans game and I for one don’t blame him. As I said on WAP, we got 7 years of the great man, which was 5 years more than we should have gotten and nothing can ever touch or taint that!

Had he left for the N.I job immediately then none of this would be an issue or even discussed. He’d merely have gotten his dream job. Things need to change to move forward occasionally, do I think he was the man to continue absolutely, but there’s no saying a new face with fresh ideas won’t be just as good. Take Aberdeen for example, a lot of their fans want change and are getting tired of McInnes, saints never did that, but it doesn’t mean that a new leader won’t bring a period of success as well, or at the very least maintain it. What is saints ultimate goal, the same as it’s always been, avoid relegation. Anything above and beyond that is a blessing.

So I’ll say this, thank you Tommy Wright for bringing 7 wonderful years of football to my club and thank you for all the wonderful memories you’ve created. It’s been a hell of a ride and I don’t think any of us would change it for the world. I just hope that you get to come back to McDiarmid Park soon when it’s open again and see just how much the fans loved you and get to see the send off you deserve.

20 minutes ago, Widge said:

You know what RandomGuy, it’s not often I’ll agree with a post word for word, especially one written by you. However you’ve hit the nail on the head, Tommy knew he was leaving 6/7/8 months ago, this was always his last season. A lesser man would have quit when we were bottom of the league, but he hauled us to top 6 once again. He had known he wanted to leave before Kirsten Robertson set foot in the door. It was the constantly being away from his family, his friends, his home. The 24/7 nature of the job, he feels it’s a younger mans game and I for one don’t blame him. As I said on WAP, we got 7 years of the great man, which was 5 years more than we should have gotten and nothing can ever touch or taint that!

Had he left for the N.I job immediately then none of this would be an issue or even discussed. He’d merely have gotten his dream job. Things need to change to move forward occasionally, do I think he was the man to continue absolutely, but there’s no saying a new face with fresh ideas won’t be just as good. Take Aberdeen for example, a lot of their fans want change and are getting tired of McInnes, saints never did that, but it doesn’t mean that a new leader won’t bring a period of success as well, or at the very least maintain it. What is saints ultimate goal, the same as it’s always been, avoid relegation. Anything above and beyond that is a blessing.

So I’ll say this, thank you Tommy Wright for bringing 7 wonderful years of football to my club and thank you for all the wonderful memories you’ve created. It’s been a hell of a ride and I don’t think any of us would change it for the world. I just hope that you get to come back to McDiarmid Park soon when it’s open again and see just how much the fans loved you and get to see the send off you deserve.

That's a bit better than the PM you sent.

FWIW I remember looking through the photos of the game against Livingston (to find photos of myself during half time to DELETE THEM FROM EXISTENCE) and seen this, not thinking anything of it at the time.

1328788858_19927983.t5e63b558.m1200.wSNS_GROUP_WATERMARK520.png.xuFyNAcK9BwtymsqY.thumb.jpg.f53852e1dfd03c431db5f35ecfe74220.jpg

Funny how such an innocent, innocuous, photo can suddenly get you thinking.

That's a bit better than the PM you sent.

What the one where I called you a danger or the one insinuated that you were really Tommy Wright all along and had fooled us all? [emoji23]

Either way, thanks for 7 wonderful years Tam, it’s been great.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

What the one where I called you a danger or the one insinuated that you were really Tommy Wright all along and had fooled us all? emoji23.png

Either way, thanks for 7 wonderful years Tam, it’s been great.

Every man can be dangerous, life lessons from Tam. 

Callum Davidson is the sensible choice. Obviously rated by TW and was a key part of our recent record. 

Cleland is the tea maker who has been turned down for all the other jobs he's applied for. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Not a fan of this renaming the east stand the Tommy Wright stand. Yes I think it should happen one day but not just now while he’s not retired/deid.

Let's not rename any more stands please. Instead we can rename the open air bar Tommys tavern.

The difference in journalism right now is frankly staggering. You’ve got Thompson and Nicholson seeing who can put do each other and put negativity into this. Whereas of all people you’ve got Tom English writing an excellent article with nothing but praise and the likes of Jim Spence who are following suit. Thompson is simply trying to drag this out and get as many words out of it as he can. By making it seem a massive deal and issues, it’ll take up more columns that simply stating Wright felt it was time to leave for his own health and family life and give him a good send off.