Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Out of interest, where would you both have put it?  

I'd have gone for the St Catherines retail park area which had large areas derelict in those days. Central, close to the bus/train stations as well as the Glasgow, Dunkeld and Crieff roads.

FWIW, I agree, at the time the decision was a no brainer. 

9 hours ago, sjc said:

There's nothing wrong with the stadium itself. Just it's location.

f**k all wrong with north west Perth, gods country right there.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I used to play pub league football there, and it was an absolute bog.

After witnessing the keepie uppie fiasco, I find this very hard to believe.

5 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Right now, if Saints were to building a new stadium I've really got little idea where it could realistically go.

The only space big enough but not out of town is the land between the top end of the Dunkeld Road and Tulloch /Fairfield .

Access as it stands would be an issue at present . Not impossible and a smaller stadium couls be built there (Scotlands first indoor senior stadium)

A half way move between Muirton and McDiarmid. 

But would the conference and funeral tea revenue drop.

The only issues i have with McDiarmid  are the stands are just a fraction too far back from the pitch, the trackside surface is a mess and the red and yellow seats

I'd go Lesser South Inch as well.  Spend a lot on state of the art drainage, have a piazza built out over the glorious river Tay behind the home side, with benches and outdoor kiosks serving an array of tasty beverages and exotic foods from around the world.  A compact site featuring a tight steep sided stadium with stands close to the pitch.  Capacity 7000. 5-10 minute walk from train and bus stations, and the town centre bars and restaurants.

Keep McDiarmid as a training complex and for big European matches, or for a live video feed on big screens for when the Lesser South Inch is sold out.

8 hours ago, tree house tam said:

After witnessing the keepie uppie fiasco, I find this very hard to believe.

😂 tbf this was when I was ~18 and also playing 5s.

I've not kicked a ball in years before that mess.

If Saints were to open some sort of account whereby you put say £100 in just now and recieved some sort of discount package in the future, would many uptake it? Just thinking of any ways to keep some cash going into the club. I know I'd be willing to "donate" my gate money every couple of weeks for a wee while if that would help, season ticket holders already have obviously, but would they be willing  to pay again in 6 months time if the season gets finished?

40 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If Saints were to open some sort of account whereby you put say £100 in just now and recieved some sort of discount package in the future, would many uptake it? 

Fools and their money are easily parted, so I wouldn't need anything back. Would be happy to help the club if they need it but they'll need to ask and there would be no shame in it.

And what a laugh if we'd built McDiarmid on the lesser South Inch with the bad floods we had in 1990 and 1993 before the defences were authorised. That was a main reason for leaving there in the first place. I know the caveat was ideal world.

Folk talking about St Catherine's and worth remembering that at the same time McDiarmid was being built, a new market was being constructed a few hundred metres up the road. We could have had the Morrisons/Wickes site and the market could have been where McDiarmid is...

But then we would all just be moaning about the traffic on a match day most likely and, as said, the advantages of McDiarmid far outweigh the negatives. If folk can't make a success of a pub that can capitalise on football footfall, it's not the club's fault.

Should knock down the City Hall and build a stadium there. Al fresco coffees at Willows post-match.

That’s a brilliant idea. Half time refreshments at Auld Hoose for all the shaggers, half time entertainment at Waterstones for RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The 208 at the end was more interested in serving Celtic supporter busses on their trip down south than it was with Saints fans on a match day.

Their biggest issue was serving 14yo kids alcohol when hosting 15th birthday parties.

IMG_0475.jpg

Those wee grey rows. Imagine them as lines of tables with awnings, saintees lined alongside each other with steins, yes, steins of vitamin T on a glorious August day.

Then as we roll into November, steins are replaced with cups of the finest mulled beverages. Delicate fairy lights hang from the awning for a festive, welcoming feel. Radford is wrapped up in his saints tartan scarf, cup of mulled cider in hand and is beginning to feel merry as the 7:45 k.o approaches. Tam goes for a cigarette. He exhales and watches as the smoke drifts off into the night. He smiles to himself, enjoying the warm glow of the electric heaters beaming down on him. Meanwhile Bonksy and Jama have just sat down with their lagers, however they are left pleasantly surprised when ali approaches them with a tray and gives them some tequilas. And as Jama composes himself after his shot, he looks across the tables to the food stall and sees two fellows enjoying some scran. RandomGuy and his father tuck into delicious local gourmet beef burgers, the nodding of their heads as they chew confirming they have been won over by this mid week fan zone and are already looking forward to the next one.