Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Current situation confirms that having this strong financial backing built up by prudence due the good management over the years by Geoff and then Steve Brown has us in a much stronger position to weather this crisis than many of the other clubs.

Can only say well done.

Whatever happens with Drey Wright or indeed any of our players is minor to the crisis facing all the clubs.

We will just get on with the job.

Manager's email:

I just wanted to send a quick message out to all of our supporters during this difficult time.

It’s important to look out for your family members, friends and neighbours. These are unprecedented times for this country and indeed the world, and we need to check in on those who are most vulnerable.

We need to try and stay positive, follow government guidelines, and hopefully the situation will improve quickly. We’re all dealing with the uncertainty at the moment but hopefully everything can return to normal as soon as possible.

I’ve seen myself first-hand the situation in supermarkets with empty shelves and I’d like to ask everybody to remain sensible when it comes to shopping. My brother works in the retail industry and he has assured me that there is more than enough food for everyone as long as people don’t stockpile food and buy more than they need. It’s the most vulnerable people at this time who suffer most from empty supermarket shelves.

On the football side of things, there is still a lot of uncertainty about what will happen but this is entirely out of our control. I’m sure the footballing authorities will be working extremely hard during these testing times. When there is any update the Club will keep supporters updated via the usual channels.

The players and coaching staff remain away from McDiarmid Park and we feel this is the safest and best course of action. All players have their own individual training programmes which are being monitored daily by staff assuring that when football does finally return they are raring to go.

While football remains suspended, myself, my staff and the players will be phoning around our elderly Season Ticket holders for a quick chat and to see if there is anything that the Club can do to assist. Once we have called our elderly supporters, we will do our best to phone round as many Season Ticket holders as possible for as long as this break from football continues.

So, if you receive a phone call from myself or one of the staff or players, it isn’t a hoax!

Please look after yourselves, stay safe, and I look forward to seeing you all back at McDiarmid Park soon.

All the best,

Tommy Wright
St. Johnstone Manager

First supporter of another team that says "once they've phoned all their season ticket holders, what will they do for the rest of the day?!" wins a 4 pack of toilet roll.

On the plus side, Saints fans could have a bit of fun dialling up ST holding mates on the back of this pretending to be a player they don't rate and give it the "I know where you sit and I've heard all the abuse you always give me, so why not come down the park and say it to my face" chat.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

First supporter of another team that says "once they've phoned all their season ticket holders, what will they do for the rest of the day?!" wins a 4 pack of toilet roll.

On the plus side, Saints fans could have a bit of fun dialling up ST holding mates on the back of this pretending to be a player they don't rate and give it the "I know where you sit and I've heard all the abuse you always give me, so why not come down the park and say it to my face" chat.

Once they've phoned all your season ticket holders, what will...

Seriously, nice touch from the club.  

Imagine this was 2020 and Saints trying to get planning permission from Perth council now? 

It would have to be in the middle Of nowhere. Even more so than McDiarmid is now for the council to entertain it!

Not complaining about McDiarmid or its location but just been thinking how different the match day experience we would have been over the years if the stadium was in a different location even if the identical stadium was built!

25 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Imagine this was 2020 and Saints trying to get planning permission from Perth council now? 

It would have to be in the middle Of nowhere. Even more so than McDiarmid is now for the council to entertain it!

Not complaining about McDiarmid or its location but just been thinking how different the match day experience we would have been over the years if the stadium was in a different location even if the identical stadium was built!

There's nothing wrong with the stadium itself. Just it's location.

5 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

but just been thinking how different the match day experience we would have been over the years if the stadium was in a different location even if the identical stadium was built!

4 hours ago, sjc said:

There's nothing wrong with the stadium itself. Just it's location.

Out of interest, where would you both have put it?  

20 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

In an absolutely ideal world I'd have had it built on the Lesser South Inch.

I used to play pub league football there, and it was an absolute bog.

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Out of interest, where would you both have put it?  

Like I was saying I wasn't complaining about where it is just imagining how things would be different a match day would be. Good and bad. I'm 10 mins from seat in the stand to my front door so can't complain. Plus it made absolute business sense at the time as well.

I'd avoid the Inch as with it being a flood plain as well as knowing what happens to other businesses near the Tay with the water coming back up the other way from the Tay it wouldn't end well. 

If they were building one NOW the car park down from Morrisons would be a good spot? Although I think there's plans for a cinema etc there now 🙄😂 thinking about it and contradicting my own initial point, would the council not be interested in a stadium nearer to town? Town Centres dying a slow and painful death... Surely that would be a boost to local businesses?

Before anyone gets a wee bit upset as well not for a second am I suggesting the club should move. Just thinking some hypotheticals to pass the time. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I cant think of anywhere in town where you get a stadium, training pitch, car park and all weather pitch.

Would lose a shed load of money having to rent training facilities, not renting out pitch, and not getting car park money, in a different position. You wonder if they attended to have all that when they moved?

All McDiarmid lacks, facility wise, is a relatively nearby pub (Welcome Inn is as close to it as any pub to Pittodrie I can think of (0.8miles)), and being close to a train station (not even a mile further than Dens to Dundee station).