Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Would Wednesday 1st work or is it too close to the second international fixtures?

I did think that as well but can see Rangers not being overly keen on that. 

Although thinking about it again they might prefer the rest between the European games? I'd prefer the Saturday of course 😂

7 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Would Wednesday 1st work or is it too close to the second international fixtures?

5 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I did think that as well but can see Rangers not being overly keen on that. 

Although thinking about it again they might prefer the rest between the European games? I'd prefer the Saturday of course 😂

Did they not request a Challenge Cup game was postponed because 4 of their players were away on International duty the same week?

I think 3:00pm on the Saturday 11 April would be fine in that respect (clashing with Hampden) but it would mean fixing a date that could have to potentially changed if Rangers do get through. As said, the SPFL have for the second time not made a strong enough case to the TV companies (and in this instance the SFA) to help sort this out. The match should have been played in that midweek in December with Hibs vs Rangers on the Saturday or Sunday. They knew there were hardly any dates free. 

The game can't be played before the break, so unless they are going to wait until after second leg to announce a date (in hope Rangers are out/Saints have lost to Hibs and Celtic) , their options are:

• Move final split games for both clubs to Friday night and play on Monday 6 April. 
  • Play it Monday 13 April, giving potentially 4 days notice of post-split fixtures. Are the police, TV and SPFL capable of enough joined up thinking to pull that off? 

Yes, it's a difficult set of circumstances but the SPFL have shown no leadership over this. 

Edited by Radford

Probably twice this season I've thought that Tommy Wright was a couple of games away from being under pressure. Firstly at the start of October when we had County, St Mirren, Accies and Hearts ahead of us and failed to win the first two. Another couple of defeats and the situation would have required assessing. 

Then when we had Aberdeen, Motherwell, Killie and Hearts, I wasn't expecting a big return and thought he needed to be in touch with the pack after the St Mirren, Accies and County fixtures. The game at Fir Park was the nadir. We didn't actually play too badly early doors but conceded cheap goals and looked devoid of character. I was left wondering what more this squad could offer in the battle to stay up. 

What Tommy Wright and essentially the same group of players have achieved since that cold, dark afternoon is remarkable. In fact that doesn't do it justice. There was always the believe that we always hold as fans that performances were better than results early in the season but that had diminished by that point. I think the players almost lost the support a week earlier before the late rally against Aberdeen but they didn't follow it up at Fir Park. It was a grim, situation. 

At some point this man is surely going to get the proper recognition he deserves. 

The turnaround is remarkable. I’m absolutely buzzing to head south for Hibs away on Saturday. McCart coming in to essentially replace Kennedy (financially) has been an outstanding piece of business. Huge credit to Wright and the players

14 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

After going through the pre-season rigmarole of locating a mythical '15 goal per season' striker, I am now inclined to believe that we probably had one of those at the club already. Football is a funny thing.

You're right.  Along with the much mentioned replacement for Chris Millar we've coveted the past 3 years or more.

Every chance we’ve got 2. May missed a good 2 months of the season with us, including competitive games against league one and two sides and he’s still managed 7 goals by the first week of March.  Hendry’s improvement this season has been quite remarkable. He’s always looked dangerous in front of goal but he’s added so much to his game other than that too. Very effective at this level. 

27 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Who's this then?

It's like a half and half shirt, but worse.

Only one Saints fan on here who's old enough to be him, and that's @andrewh

It's harmless enough in abstract and I'm very reluctant to criticise an old boy just trying to enjoy going to the football.

One of the tenapenny Kit twitters has retweeted it though, and is seems like a lot of Sunderland fans upset that it's a rare/valuable top thats been cut up. 

It's harmless enough in abstract and I'm very reluctant to criticise an old boy just trying to enjoy going to the football.
One of the tenapenny Kit twitters has retweeted it though, and is seems like a lot of Sunderland fans upset that it's a rare/valuable top thats been cut up. 
Tough titties to them I suppose. It's not my cup of tea but if the old lad has two loves then that's his way of showing it. Good on the bloke, high time other folk minded their own business with stuff like that.