Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Do we think Drey Wright might be a better right back than a winger? Defensively he’s sound, he’s quick, physical and has a good engine on him. Would take away the need for him to supply goals and assists and he’ll still be able to cross and run at people so long as he’s covered in behind? He was very, very good yesterday and if he does sign up again may be an option, appreciate we’ve signed Rooney up for next year, but would save needing a backup as well. Assuming Booth gets a new deal, we may not be looking for any defenders next summer.

59 minutes ago, Widge said:

Do we think Drey Wright might be a better right back than a winger? Defensively he’s sound, he’s quick, physical and has a good engine on him. Would take away the need for him to supply goals and assists and he’ll still be able to cross and run at people so long as he’s covered in behind? He was very, very good yesterday and if he does sign up again may be an option, appreciate we’ve signed Rooney up for next year, but would save needing a backup as well. Assuming Booth gets a new deal, we may not be looking for any defenders next summer.

I'd argue right back is a very different role to right-wing back in terms of staying in line with the other three defenders whilst also always checking over your shoulder for your winger and having to come inside and cover a centre half at cross balls - wee things I picked up on in Drey's stint at right back last weekend Vs Rangers.  Fine as cover for Rooney next season though, if  he stays. 

Appreciate the goals/assists numbers - brought up here a few times - haven't been in Drey Wright's favour. But equally, as far as assists go, I don't think that's always been his fault. His final ball isn't always perfect but it is good enough IMO, and he gets in those positions on a very regular basis. I definitely want to see him around next season. Butcher too if there's any way of making that work.

There's a lot to like about the current line up. Suddenly some strength in depth in certain positions and a good core of young players that we've developed - or brought in at a young age to develop - making the difference. Hendry deserves a special mention for that. Not starting ahead of Kane earlier in the year - possibly because it was felt he wasn't an outball or able to win enough in the air - yet yesterday he gives Celtic's towering back line a pretty hard time. I can't say enough positive about Ali McCann as well.

If we can keep the core of this team together next season it's one I'm very excited to come and watch every week.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

He's miles ahead of Tanser that's for sure. Being more techically competent and two-footed, he's able to play out from the back properly whereas Tanser is much more reliant on balls up the channel. He also stops crosses, as he has that extra bit of pace over the first two yards. I'd like to see what having him work with MOH on the right might look like, I suspect it could be a a powerful set-up. 

Assuming that Rooney is going to be played like a right-side Booth I think it gives us a lot of flexibility up that side of the park to set up defensively or aggessively in a 3, 4 or 5. What we're possibly missing is threat on the left, given Spoony's inconsistency, he's not the quickest, and given Danny's absence there's no real competition in that position. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Edit : I mean miles ahead of Tanser as wing back, in case that wasn't obvious.

Wright was fantastic yesterday, although the cynic wonders if it was because he knew it was on the TV...

I suppose the same applied to the recent Rangers game when he wasn't quite as good, so hopefully it was just because he's a decent player.

McCann was unbelievable again, and Butcher very good too.

Can't wait until the stain that is Scott Brown has left Scottish football, surprised he's managed to avoid his favorite non-footballing activities for so long but imagine he'll have one hell of a retirement party. His only contribution I saw yesterday was to escape punishment for grabbing Gordon by the neck, with Forster somehow taking the blame instead. He's the same as Rangers FC, but as an individual rather than an institution enthralling a large abject part of our society - the world would be much better without either.

I'd keep Wright based on yesterday, and add another 5 years onto Ali's deal.

2 hours ago, double deluxe said:

I'd argue right back is a very different role to right-wing back in terms of staying in line with the other three defenders whilst also always checking over your shoulder for your winger and having to come inside and cover a centre half at cross balls - wee things I picked up on in Drey's stint at right back last weekend Vs Rangers.  Fine as cover for Rooney next season though, if  he stays. 

Double Deluxe from what I have heard Drey is for the off.

Before we get the usual the club/Brown should have done more........there is not much a club can do if a player and/or his agent decide he is going to move clubs

Edited by Templar Saint

32 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Double Deluxe from what I have heard Drey is for the off.

Before we get the usual the club/Brown should have done more........there is not much a club can do if a player and/or his agent decide he is going to move clubs

We've not made him an offer though have we?

4 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

We've not made him an offer though have we?

The clubs CEO at the last fans forum was asked about re-signing  of Drey and her response initially was it was ongoing.  She then said that no decision could be made until she knew what league we would be in.  This seemed like a strange off the cuff reply as we had extended McCann and Hendry's contract and signed McCart.

So whether an offer was made or Drey or his agent indicated he wanted a new challenge away from Perth - I do not know - other than I was informed on Sunday that he will be away.

4 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

So whether an offer was made or Drey or his agent indicated he wanted a new challenge away from Perth - I do not know - other than I was informed on Sunday that he will be away.

I really hope he stays, but if that is the case then as soon as we are mathematically safe, or top six is finalised either way, he shouldn't be picked.

Nothing against him personally, it's just we should be picking O'Halloran to give him games and help rediscover his form, or even a young lad on the fringes; someone who will be here next season and it would be of benefit to us to give competitive matches to.

We did it with Shaughnessy after the split last season and played Gordon and Kerr together, which was absolutely the right thing to do.

Good luck to him, and all others who leave, but once they've made the decision that they don't want to be here, move on and prepare for next season.

Without knowing facts it’s obviously tough to comment too much. But it is extremely frustrating that we’ve had Drey for 2 years, paid for (I assume) nearly a years worth of rehab in that time, wages throughout injury etc and the loyalty isn’t reciprocal. If he’s not been offered a deal worthy of signing or we were late to the party with offering then I’m happy to be wrong, but from a fans perspective it’s pretty galling.

I really hope he stays, but if that is the case then as soon as we are mathematically safe, or top six is finalised either way, he shouldn't be picked.
Nothing against him personally, it's just we should be picking O'Halloran to give him games and help rediscover his form, or even a young lad on the fringes; someone who will be here next season and it would be of benefit to us to give competitive matches to.
We did it with Shaughnessy after the split last season and played Gordon and Kerr together, which was absolutely the right thing to do.
Good luck to him, and all others who leave, but once they've made the decision that they don't want to be here, move on and prepare for next season.
Absolutely.

If he goes I guess it'll depend on the reason (if we hear one). 

Of course don't know his circumstance but if he wanted to move closer to family if they're still down south then we as a whole be understanding of that. 

If on the other hand he was to sign for another club in the league then I can imagine there will be quite a few angry Saints fans. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If on the other hand he was to sign for another club in the league then I can imagine there will be quite a few angry Saints fans. 

Also known as the "Danny Grainger effect".  Which led to the funniest and most complete hounding of a player I've seen at Mcdiarmid, Danny boy had a fucking nightmare.

Edited by tree house tam