Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's not been great, fwiw. Based on this performance hes going to have improve, defensively, a lot to not be a liability for us early on.

I watched the game and could not make a judgement one way or another as he had little invvement as most ofthe play was going down the other side.To make that statement based tonight's performance is just absurd 

5 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I watched the game and could not make a judgement one way or another as he had little invvement as most ofthe play was going down the other side.To make that statement based tonight's performance is just absurd 

I mean, I'm fairly sure you wouldve posted this no matter what opinion I gave on Rooney, so dont be upset if i dont give a f**k.

8 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Everything he does exudes class, and I don’t think we could have ever imagined having a manager of his calibre for so long. He is the man. 

He's brilliant. We had all the hoo-ha in the last week of the window then had the early capitulation against Celtic but his interview in the immediate aftermath of that game not only defused the situation but left you feeling positive. 

Again, this has been a poor week off the field but he just nails the tone in his interview. The club is richer now (cash and assets) than at any time in the recent past. All the major infrastructure projects are finished. The new road, which impacted commercial income, is finished and open for business. The club have their own training pitches. Everyone is in it together, they have already started mitigating for a loss (which I suspect will be in line with what you'd expect and not the disaster that SB might have led you to believe), they've still managed to get the young assets tied up and they are already ahead of the curve in working with a smaller budget, but not to the detriment of the squad, in the summer. 

Tommy talks, we all listen and marvel. 

I know @Kyle is on top of this stuff and keeps us in the loop but, whilst you'd never describe maintaining a budget at Saints as easy, the summer doesn't need to look ominous.

They are going to get McMillan, Anderson, Swanson (£1,500/week) and Callachan out the door. They won't be paying the wages of Holt and Ralston.

This time a year ago we knew we were going to be carrying McMillan, Anderson and probably Swanson into a new season when they weren't wanted. That won't be the case this summer. 

Whilst making the impact of Ali McCann is unlikely, hopefully one or two of the young guys out on loan can come into the squad next year as well. Ballantyne is playing for Montrose every week and Hamilton has a full season at Brechin behind him. 

The manager has already moved to address the two big issues (CB and RB) in the squad.

Plenty to be optimistic about, which hasn't always been the case at this time of year in previous seasons with aging squads. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

I know @Kyle is on top of this stuff and keeps us in the loop but, whilst you'd never describe maintaining a budget at Saints as easy, the summer doesn't need to look ominous.

They are going to get McMillan, Anderson, Swanson (£1,500/week) and Callachan out the door. They won't be paying the wages of Holt and Ralston.

This time a year ago we knew we were going to be carrying McMillan, Anderson and probably Swanson into a new season when they weren't wanted. That won't be the case this summer. 

Whilst making the impact of Ali McCann is unlikely, hopefully one or two of the young guys out on loan can come into the squad next year as well. Ballantyne is playing for Montrose every week and Hamilton has a full season at Brechin behind him. 

The manager has already moved to address the two big issues (CB and RB) in the squad.

Plenty to be optimistic about, which hasn't always been the case at this time of year in previous seasons with aging squads. 

This is what I mean when on about the reasonable saints fans outlook. We can all see it for what it is and there was never any point in Stevie Broons rant, unless he's pandering to the zoomers, never pander to the zoomers Steve, you just become one.

Tommy reads the forums by the way, no doubts about it.

Edited by tree house tam

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, I'm fairly sure you wouldve posted this no matter what opinion I gave on Rooney, so dont be upset if i dont give a f**k.

So are you seriously suggesting that I would have replied with something that I did not believe to be true just in order to take issue with your statement. ?.You're  not that important son 😂

3 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

So are you seriously suggesting that I would have replied with something that I did not believe to be true just in order to take issue with your statement. ?.You're  not that important son 😂

2134999588_giphy(43).gif.6ec346e5a7dfbc6c43304339292fbf69.gif

Very late catching up with the Tommy Wright interview mentioned. Completely agree with what's been said already, a superb interview.  Good on him.  

Emphasising the positives about the squad many of us on here have been highlighting over the past few weeks, whilst maintaining a sense of realism.  Good praise for the chairman as well, great way to diffuse any potential petty point scoring tit for tat in the media. 

Roll on tomorrow..

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This team btw :wub: 

Aye.

Is there any genuine chance of keeping Butcher next season?

Incredible player considering this is him after a lay off of around two years.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Aye.

Is there any genuine chance of keeping Butcher next season?

Incredible player considering this is him after a lay off of around two years.

Surely worth an ask anyway. I’m sure he’s got a year left on his Bournemouth deal. I think he’s the player we all hoped Goss would be. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Surely worth an ask anyway. I’m sure he’s got a year left on his Bournemouth deal. I think he’s the player we all hoped Goss would be. 

Most sites say hes free this Summer, but he definitely told Saints TV he wanted to go back and make a push for their side next season.

It's great watching him and McCann willing take the ball and work it across the park, even under pressure against Celtic. Not convinced Murray Davidson deserves to walk back into the side.

Most sites say hes free this Summer, but he definitely told Saints TV he wanted to go back and make a push for their side next season.
It's great watching him and McCann willing take the ball and work it across the park, even under pressure against Celtic. Not convinced Murray Davidson deserves to walk back into the side.
Murray will find it tough to get back in. Just like Holt is now finding out.

Davidson (and Craig) still have their uses IMO. Even if they’re not playing every week they’re more than capable of playing at a good standard when they do play. 

If we could get Butcher back next season, I’d happily take him in place of Holt. Holt has been good for us too but from what I’ve seen of Butcher I think he fits into our team better. He’s also capable of partnering McCann in a 2 and playing a bit deeper in a 3. 

I didn't think I'd say this but I've quite enjoyed my wee ventures into the Main Stand. A massive success given the crowds and performances.

Having all the Saints fans in one stand makes a significantly better atmosphere and in no way is handing the old firm an advantage. The extra leg room and hot water are just a bonus ;)

I've been wanting to become a member of the tartan blanket brigade for a few years now. The Main Stand is where it's at. Better view and I can hear myself think without Ghostie damaging my ear drums every second week.

Good to hear all the love for the West stand.

I've enjoyed my occasional ventures into the East, but feel much more at home in the West. Only real downside to the West is that you don't get quite as much early summer sun. 

Agree it would be a coup of we could keep Butcher but doubt it's happening, and agree McCart has been a great signing (although wasn't far off costing us a red card on Sunday). For all the stats doubters I think that Wright (D) showed why he's such an asset. Possibly a better wing-back than a winger. 

Like others thoroughly enjoyed Sunday. Can't shake that nagging doubt that if we'd started with Booth we might have scraped the draw but Tanser did have one of his better games. People say it wouldn't have been a good result, but we showed that we can give them a game and the cash would have been welcome. 

Would also have liked to have seen substitutions made a wee bit earlier, was looking for MOH on for Spoony from about the 65th minute. 

Still, onwards and upwards, the squad is looking strong. Hate going to that place in Paisley but will force myself this week, the outside chance of top 6 is still alive.