Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Always feel he's been hard done by last 3 seasons. Whenever he plays regularly he contributes goals and assists. Tends to get dropped for the 'bigger' names but goal for goal and assist for assist i doubt any of them matched him. 

2018/19 + 2019/20 League Performance

David Wotherspoon - 41 games/27 starts - 4 goals/4 assists

Matty Kennedy - 54 games/50 starts - 9 goals/5 assists

Michael O'Halloran - 31 games/21 starts - 3 goals/2 assists

Drey Wright - 29 games/23 starts - 1 goal/0 assists

Danny Swanson - 29 games/9 starts - 0 goals/1 assist

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

2018/19 + 2019/20 League Performance

David Wotherspoon - 41 games/27 starts - 4 goals/4 assists

Matty Kennedy - 54 games/50 starts - 9 goals/5 assists

Michael O'Halloran - 31 games/21 starts - 3 goals/2 assists

Drey Wright - 29 games/23 starts - 1 goal/0 assists

Danny Swanson - 29 games/9 starts - 0 goals/1 assist

Based on starts....tops it. 

Probably an unpopular opinion here. But I actually thought Kane was very good before going off. By very good, I guess I mean he worked his socks off, had some good link up play and made some good runs etc. But decent none the less. McCann is far too good for us, really hope we can keep him for a couple of years but if we don’t we have to be taking in a substantial fee. Some potential for him. Gordon was outstanding and bossed it. Tanser looked infinitely better with much less defensive responsibility. Great win and as a club let’s start looking up again

Does McCann still have 2 years on his contract at the end of this season? If he continues like this we could be in for some offers in the summer.  Be interesting to see the clubs resolve in dealing with offers for a player with that long left on there contract 

7 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here. But I actually thought Kane was very good before going off. 

He worked his arse off, but so did May. May linked better aswell. I'm not sure they work as a pairing as neither can beat a defender with the ball at their feet so they're constantly turning back. Hendry came on and drove straight at the defence and sent the shite pouring out them.

Hendry and May need to be the front two in that set up, for me. Kane can come on, press defences and use his uncanny ability to win free kicks to help see out games, and he'll get far less stick as theres far less demand on him.

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Does McCann still have 2 years on his contract at the end of this season? If he continues like this we could be in for some offers in the summer.  Be interesting to see the clubs resolve in dealing with offers for a player with that long left on there contract 

Contract runs until Summer 2023.

7 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here. But I actually thought Kane was very good before going off. By very good, I guess I mean he worked his socks off, had some good link up play and made some good runs etc. But decent none the less. McCann is far too good for us, really hope we can keep him for a couple of years but if we don’t we have to be taking in a substantial fee. Some potential for him. Gordon was outstanding and bossed it. Tanser looked infinitely better with much less defensive responsibility. Great win and as a club let’s start looking up again

I'm Kanes biggest critic but I thought he wasn't too bad today, I'd have subbed him 10 minutes earlier if I'd even played him. Still think we should be expecting better for our number 9.

5 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

3 years after the summer. Could be some piece of business by the club. However, will be interesting to see if other clubs see what he brings. He does the quiet side of the game - non glamorous. Interceptions, tackles, moving the ball in deep areas, starting attacks. Never wastes a ball.  It's easy not to notice these players as they are not getting direct goals or assists. More games like today though and it will be hard for teams to overlook him, affecting the game at both ends. Happy for him to fly under the radar for as long as though...

10 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

3 years after the summer. Could be some piece of business by the club. However, will be interesting to see if other clubs see what he brings. He does the quiet side of the game - non glamorous. Interceptions, tackles, moving the ball in deep areas, starting attacks. Never wastes a ball.  It's easy not to notice these players as they are not getting direct goals or assists. More games like today though and it will be hard for teams to overlook him, affecting the game at both ends. Happy for him to fly under the radar for as long as though...

Clubs will know how good he is, he oozes quality. Class players always seem to buy themselves extra time, and that's exactly what he does.  He ran that midfield against two experienced decent quality centre midfielders. 

If he continues as he has been doing, then we should be looking at several million for him when the time comes, seriously.  And if he's got his first full cap by then it'll be even more.

I don't think he will be under the radar I'm afraid, folk in football talk.  The downside of his brilliant form is we're not going to keep him all that long at this rate of progression, and we're back to square one looking for a centre midfielder!

I'd play Hendry on Wednesday night, give him a start on the big stage. He deserves it and it gives the other two a rest before Saturday.

I thought Kane and May put in good shifts today. Kane still showed a lack of quality on occasions, and May dithered 2 or 3 times when he had the chance to play Kane in or shoot, but overall they did well for the team.

We haven't had a partnership get even a few consecutive games together, so let's use it again next Saturday.  Kane is the battering ram and I think his presence and willingness to do the ugly side of the game gets a bit more space for Stevie May to get on the ball.

I know Hendry is a far bigger goal threat than Kane, but being able to bring Hendry on in the last quarter of tight games is a massive weapon for us. I think it's possibly 4 of our 5 wins have come after he's come on late in games and driven us up the park.  Defenders are getting tired, the game is stretched and he gives them a whole new threat to deal with.

I was never in doubt that Tommy Wright was speaking out because he cares so much and was surprised at Saints fans suggesting it was some sort of exit strategy. 

That view from the outside is more understandable. It doesn't bother me when opposition fans suggest it as they'll dip in and out of what other clubs are up to but idiot pundits should really keep their traps shut. 

Just folk lining up to comment on stuff they know nothing about. As I say, it's what fans do but pundits should be more responsible. 

Tam McManus being an example with his shite this morning about it being "inevitable" that he'll be sacked. 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just folk lining up to comment on stuff they know nothing about. As I say, it's what fans do but pundits should be more responsible. 

Tam McManus being an example with his shite this morning about it being "inevitable" that he'll be sacked. 

Fair dues, I seen Jim Spence at it too.