Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To me it sounds like Kennedy was sold against his wishes.

As in, club asked him his opinion on what to do, he told them it would be best to keep him, then he got sold anyway. But that's just an opinion and based on nothing more.

18 outfield players, and no signings allowed.

Let that sink in.

Sticking my oar in, from watching on the sidelines I'd guess TW has argued the case for keeping hold of Kennedy and as he says he's been told he can't bring anyone in unless he moves players on.

He's been given 3 weeks of the window to shift the deadwood and save Callachan there haven't been any bites so you're in the situation where Kennedy's the only real asset that can be moved quickly for cash. Presumably all the other "assets" are tied up on longer term deals and those are ones you don't want to get shot of anyway.

Maybe in previous seasons the club would have gone the extra mile but for whatever reason this time it's a case of having to make a choice; he can either have whatever players Dundee loaning Ross Callachan gets you and keep Matty Kennedy or cash in whatever Aberdeen were willing to chuck you a week before the deadline closes and use that money for the squad. 

Either way, it's some interview.

Edited by capt_oats

I wasn’t fussed about going to tomorrow’s game, but I’ve got no choice now. I can’t wait to see how unbelievably toxic and brutal the crowd that bothers turning up is going to be.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He's been given 3 weeks of the window to shift the deadwood and save Callachan there haven't been any bites

I'm still interested to know who folk think the other deadwood players in our squad are?

Danny Swanson obviously sticks out, but beyond him only Callum Booth and Liam Craig have played less than 10 games, while we only have 17/18 outfield players.

It seems totally illogical to actively ignore and refuse to try and sign key targets until you sell players when you're in that situation. This Summer showed signings can collapse at the very last moment, so why weaken yourself before you're sure someones coming in?

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm still interested to know who folk think the other deadwood players in our squad are?

Danny Swanson obviously sticks out, but beyond him only Callum Booth and Liam Craig have played less than 10 games, while we only have 17/18 outfield players.

It seems totally illogical to actively ignore and refuse to try and sign key targets until you sell players when you're in that situation. This Summer showed signings can collapse at the very last moment, so why weaken yourself before you're sure someones coming in?

I guess Vihmann would be one. A 20 year old out of position with no first team experience was generally picked ahead of him, so you've got to imagine the manager doesn't rate the big Estonian.

The number of players could be an issue as you say, so not sure we're in a position to release him.

Probably a tough one for a Tommy to take having this new Chief Exec in. He's pretty much had free reign over the football side for the past few years but now has to go through someone he possibly feels is not a football person and has yet to prove their worth.

Hes often used the press over the years to vent or force the chairmans hand, this might be another case of him trying to do exactly that.  Think I prefer him angry, speaking out and putting up a fight like this than resigned and quiet.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its unreal. We've, literally, given our best chance of avoiding relegation away for £70k.

Weeks of hard negotiations and wasted time. 

For £70k.

Seventy thousand pounds.

Nae danger Kennedy’s worth 20 grand more than Glenn Kamara 🤪 

🎶 Kennedy, watch him play on a Saturday!

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Should a chief executive have more control over football matters than the manager?

Pretty sure that would come under more of a technical director/ director of football role?

No idea, but the Chief Exec might have been set the target of balancing the books over the season. When the offer of £75k comes in for a player who will be leaving in 4 months for nothing anyway,  it goes a long way towards achieving that financial target.  Sounds like it was a business decision taken out of his hands rather than purely a football one if these recent reports are accurate.

Doesn't help the manager's options or fan morale very much.

15 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

You got pumped rotten tonight, Kennedy pumped you rotten multiple times last season, and the player you’re wanking over is a ***. 

Sit down, shut up. 

Hahahaha. Your big ‘derby’ is going to happen in the playoffs and you’re shitting it. 

10 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

You suerly don't believe that your mob of perennial underachievers are going to make tbe playoffs do you..Seriously!! ? 🤣 

Yeah we’ll make them, I’d imagine we’ll still be in the playoff position after tomorrow’s round of fixtures. Our manager has made an arse of the season so far but he’ll get the bullet before long. We’ve got the bottom half of the table to place twice and only Ayr of the teams above us more than once to play this season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Tommy in 1 of the dugouts in the playoffs...

Edited by Yenitit

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Yeah we’ll make them, I’d imagine we’ll still be in the playoff position after tomorrow’s round of fixtures. Our manager has made an arse of the season so far but he’ll get the bullet before long. We’ve got the bottom half of the table to place twice and only Ayr of the teams above us more than once to play this season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Tommy in 1 of the dugouts in the playoffs...

I think you will find out  that he has a bigger job lined up when he leaves at the end of the season 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

Should a chief executive have more control over football matters than the manager?

Pretty sure that would come under more of a technical director/ director of football role?

It's a matter of scale in my opinion. Does a business that turns over sub 5m require a chief exec? It depends entirely on the shareholders and perhaps they want to take a step back from day to day decisions...

We're a parochial club with a fairly fixed market and no realistic expectation of operating at a different level. I get it from the ownership side and I see why it would rub Sir Thomas up the wrong way.

What if... we sack McPake, Wright has enough and leaves, joins us and reinvigorates the squad, cements a play-off spot and we relegate you.
That'd be funny.
I'm going to go drink some more now.
Possibly the most drug fuelled thing I've read since "Fear and Loathing".

RossBOotTree